Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Thinking about riding at Croom 1st time  (Read 1737 times)

Offline MBruns

• Amateur Billy Goat
Thinking about riding at Croom 1st time
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
Anyone have a trail report and some tips for a 1st time rider there ?
Mike
A 'good' ride is one that you can walk away. A'great' ride is one after which you can use the bike again.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Thinking about riding at Croom 1st time
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
Is this Mike that bought Dave's old Rush from the Winter Haven bike shop?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline MBruns

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »
Hi Jason, Its me
Mike
A 'good' ride is one that you can walk away. A'great' ride is one after which you can use the bike again.

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
As of Sunday the croom trails were in suprisingly good shape. Looks like they've been getting a decent amount of rain up there and the sand wasn't bad at all. Take a map (and a compass if you don't have a good natural sense of direction) and pay attention; I've had to help a few newbies find their way back to the car. As far as trails are concerned, it depends on how far you want to ride. Definitely try to get to the pits area of the blue trail (~7-12 miles north of parking area 1). If you want a long ride, start at Tucker hill, take the red trail over to the blue, ride north around the blue and reconnect with the yellow near the end. That's a lot of miles in this heat...and you will almost always be within a mile or two of bailing back to Croom Rd. and riding back to the parking area.

When are you planning to go? I'll be out there Friday evening with some new riders (taking it very slow), and maybe riding Sunday morning at a B-/B pace.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »
How have ya been Mike? When ya thinking about heading up there? I've never been to Croom before, so I've thought about checking it out sometime.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
Make sure to bring plenty of water. Not much cover there.  Lots of fun when it is packed, not much fun when it is dry.

Offline MBruns

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:03:43 AM »
Thanks guy's, I think I will wait until we get the regular afternoon rains to firm up the sand, if its anything like the motorcycle section when dry it won't be much fun.
Mike

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:11:11 AM »
Thanks guy's, I think I will wait until we get the regular afternoon rains to firm up the sand, if its anything like the motorcycle section when dry it won't be much fun.
Mike
Is not like that at all!!!!  If you ever ridden Morris Bridge when it is really sandy, that is what you see at Croom but for shorter sections.  I think the Morris Bridge pits where it gets 4-6 in of loose sand, is the worse we have anywhere.  There are smaller spots like that at Croom but not for long sections of trail.  What makes it seem worse is that it is a bit more open and there is more elevation.  So when you do a climb and there is a little bit of loose sand, then people bitch at it.  But trust me, there are a TON of miles and miles where it is just pure enjoyment single track.  All the section of the blue pits are hard packed.  Most if not all of the yellow trail has very little sand to speak of even in the driest periods.  With the rain they have gotten now, it should be super nice.  Also, because at Croom you go way out away from  your car when you run low of water and look to see how far you are from the car, then it start to hurt a bit.  But is no where near a motocylce loose sand type of trail.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
Mike

Croom has gotten rain lately so the soft sand is actually better riding now.  Besides, once under the trees it is pretty nicely packed anyhow.

Offline MBruns

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
That sounds great, are there trail maps available ?
Mike

Advertisement: