Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Alafia Fat Tire Festival  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
Alafia Fat Tire Festival
« on: June 14, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »
Can someone tell me why you would want to be a member of SWAMP?

1. Shouldn't members have access to the festival tickets first rather than open to everyone at the same time?

2. Non members just pay 10.00 more?

3. Only 350 people?  Doesn't SWAMP have 600+ members?

I guess the reward is in getting the opportunity to do trail work, and hopefully getting enough hours in to get a jersey or a nice window sticker!
Ohh I forgot the 10% discount at local shops.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Alafia Fat Tire Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »

1. Shouldn't members have access to the festival tickets first rather than open to everyone at the same time?
Alafia FTF rarely sells out until near the very end.  Members have always been able to get in if they don't procrastinate too long.

How much discount on the price should members get, or in other words how much more should non-members have to pay?

Yes, only 350 - the park management sets the number for us to work with.  If we could have it open to all 600+ SWAMP members, (who - by the way - do not all live in this area or state even), we would.  Part of that comes down to there just is NOT enough volunteers to cover all of the jobs (non-paying) for that number.  (Kind of like the trail maintenance days.) Besides, if all 600 came, who would volunteer?

I guess the reward is in getting the opportunity to do trail work, and hopefully getting enough hours in to get a jersey or a nice window sticker!
Doing the trail work is to ensure that we even have trails to ride on. People taking the time out of their busy lives to learn how to make sustainable trails and to repair them when erosion destroys them, or when people skid down the trails making a project for the next workday; that's the benefit of being a SWAMP Club Member.  Those weekly volunteers aren't so interested in riding on their day off as much as they are more inclined to build and maintain a trail so someone else can ride it.  That's reward I tell ya'. NOT.

Bike shops are less inclined to offer discounts when they don't see repeat business, or other steady customers are complaining that they don't get discounts but buy their bikes and accesories there as well.  Nothing in life is a guarantee. Make sure you appreciate those little things they offer or they take it away.

A club is what you make it.  It's like minded folks enjoying a common activity that they all enjoy.  Some are just there for the benefits; others are there to make it what it is.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:36:39 PM by Garry »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »

The trails that you ride, have been built and maintained by Swamp Volunteers over the years.

The 350 cut off is way higher than last years, and even higher than the year before.

The cost of the Fat Tire Festival has not significantly increase since I joined three years ago. When you look at what you get, the price is not bad. I can't imagine what you would think would be a reasonable spread between members and non members.

Remember, your membership fee is only twenty bucks. That twenty is easily made up after a couple of small purchases at almost all of the local bike shops.

The food and supplies cost money, there is always entertainment. Should it be free to members? Should non members pay 50% more? How critical would you be of Swamp if they did that?

I could go on, but my guess it is probably pointless.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »
Why do you have to hope to get enough hours in trailwork to get a jersey? It is rather easy to accumulate the hours needed considering there is a workday almost every saturday. And now Garry and the other trail bosses have setup the Adopt-A-Trail system to fit anyones schedule to make it even easier. But why is the reward a jersey? Shouldn't the reward be having some sweet trails to ride? That is reward enough for me.

One thing I have found amazing so far. I've been to 4 regular SWAMP workdays, and every one there are at least 2-3 people there that either, A) just started riding a few months ago, or B) never ride the trail they work on. To see so many people out and working when they haven't been on that trail before is amazing, and I doubt you see it many other places. The guys and gals that put in so much time working on the trails don't get near enough credit, respect, or thanks IMO.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 09:58:44 PM »
Why do you have to hope to get enough hours in trailwork to get a jersey? It is rather easy to accumulate the hours needed considering there is a workday almost every saturday. And now Garry and the other trail bosses have setup the Adopt-A-Trail system to fit anyones schedule to make it even easier. But why is the reward a jersey? Shouldn't the reward be having some sweet trails to ride? That is reward enough for me.

One thing I have found amazing so far. I've been to 4 regular SWAMP workdays, and every one there are at least 2-3 people there that either, A) just started riding a few months ago, or B) never ride the trail they work on. To see so many people out and working when they haven't been on that trail before is amazing, and I doubt you see it many other places. The guys and gals that put in so much time working on the trails don't get near enough credit, respect, or thanks IMO.

Jason,
 I did notice that he was listed in Garry's message about today's workday. Maybe he was overheated?

There are other ways that you can volunteer with the club, and I agree with Jason 100% shouldn't the reward be that you are giving something to your own community. In this case a community of Mountain Bikers.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:16:19 PM »
Maybe I worked beside this guy all day and don't know it! ??? That is beside the point. $75 for a weekend of food and camping is cheap! Not to mention all the other goodies you can pick up during the weekend. Get off your butt and register!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
Wow....this has nothing to due with trail work at all.  Regardless of my membership status  I have always thought that trail work is just part of the sport.  This is just my opinion and I did not mean to be negative at all. I just feel that the ftf is a great opportunity to show existing members some extra perks and encourage non members to join.  As far as the price is concerned, if you look at other clubs such as the YMCA there is always a large price difference between members and non members.  Why?  to encourage membership and to give existing members an added perk.  I know that the park sets the capacity, and I hope that every member who wants to attend the ftf does.  Just my opinion......
  I also think 12 hrs of mandatory trail work or volunteering a year should be part of being a member, but I won't go there.  I'll keep my mouth shut and blame voicing my opinion on low blood sugar....

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Actually it did have something to do with trail work because it was in your post, but that's neither here nor there.
The FTF is actually a great opportunity to show members some of the perks of the club.  Without the club there would be no opportunity to secure the entire campground with paid staff and volunteers, entertainment, food, beverage, guided rides, awesome trails to ride by just rolling out of your tent or RV, bike shops on hand to service your bike, or sell you parts needed to keep riding, and hot coffee at 7:00 a.m. with breakfast to follow.  It need not be a large price difference to make it attractive to members because unlike the YMCA which has LARGE amounts of money coming in, we are small in comparison and based on volunteerism, not paid positions.  It's not surprising that our clubs reputation is what encourages membership. 
Perks: S.W.A.M.P. is the largest most active MTB club in the Southeastern U.S.. S.W.A.M.P. offers expertise in bike skills at a huge savings to members - look for lessons anywhere at $10 a pop. S.W.A.M.P. works with land managers in making awesome MTB opportunities that include over 125 miles of single track. Volunteers set up socials, cookouts after rides, out of state trips, annual endurance rides, e-group to stay connected, forum to speak your mind, maps of all our trails.  Lots of perks to speak of. Also, 20 hours of trail work gets you a free membership.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:42:52 PM »
Today as I sat on the new picnic tables by North Woods I realized voicing my opinion was out of line as I didn't think about the amount of planning and logistics that go into the ftf, and not to mention the volunteer hours.  I apologize to all.  I'll step  it up on the adopt a trail program, and continue to volunteer anytime I'm needed.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »
I think the price for the fat tire festival is very fair considering all the work that must go into setting up such an event. I really hope I get to go this year, hopefully it does not sell out to quickly.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »
Today as I sat on the new picnic tables by North Woods I realized voicing my opinion was out of line as I didn't think about the amount of planning and logistics that go into the ftf, and not to mention the volunteer hours.  I apologize to all.  I'll step  it up on the adopt a trail program, and continue to volunteer anytime I'm needed.

No worries. We all get to voice our opinions whether they are right, wrong, misguided, or truth - damn, that probably seems like a shameless bike plug - beauty is we live in a country and society where we can do that.  Some folks on this planet die if they try to live as we do.  Don't be afraid to have an opinion. Do be able to back it up, or recognize if it is off mark.  I'll try to do the same and have the balls to publicly apologize when I'm off mark.

Hey, if everybody embraced the Adopt-A-Trail program we could help build the new trail system at Colt Creek North of Lakeland which has over 5,000 acres.  Nahhh, I'm spread a little thin right now.

Offline richie

• Phil 4:13
  • First Bike
  • ...ETSX-50...
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 09:54:57 PM »
Well I have no problem shelling out full price for the festival.I did last year and had the time of my life.Everything was enjoyable,the food was great and the riding was fantastic.A bargain at 75 bucks.I don't get to ride that often regularly and have no problem paying the $20 membership fee.I feel it's a privilige to ride these trails and I thank all those who volunteer and build the trails we ride on.You guys rock! I am however disappointed now because I have been waiting for the registration to open so I could get my spot.I was told a while back that it was the weekend of the 8th and was all excited and even had my vacation slip ready.I have a wedding I have to be in the weekend of the 15th.I got hosed!I guess I'll do the suwannee instead in october. :'( I'll miss you all.
Confusedjus say "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »
Club members are the first ones to get the chance to sign up for the FTF. Every year they are the last to sign up. Every year club members call after registration  has closed and beg to get in(it's to late) we can't help. Every year 60% or more are not club members(a lot of them become club members). Every year the non club members are the first ones to sign up. If you want to go this year, don't wait. The FTF is a blast and you SHOULD NOT MISS IT. You will have a great time, you will make some new friends, the Crazy Crit is a blast to watch. This year we have a few nice additions. Last year we sold out about a month before registration was supposed to close. This year will close sooner. If you want to go sing up now, don't wait and remind your friends to sign up now.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 07:47:06 AM »
Gary.....Colt Creek?????   Ive got the time just need the support From the club on the design and help with the land managers.  Just let me know I welcome the challenge.  Also live close to Lakeland.  With the support of the club I can make this happen.   What do you think?   

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 08:58:56 AM »
Gary.....Colt Creek?????   Ive got the time just need the support From the club on the design and help with the land managers.  Just let me know I welcome the challenge.  Also live close to Lakeland.  With the support of the club I can make this happen.   What do you think?   

See page 4 of the April-June SWAMP Newsletter.

Advertisement: