Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: The new rollercoaster  (Read 3892 times)

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
The new rollercoaster
« on: June 15, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
I just got back from an awesome ride today and just wanted to thank everyone that worked there asses off to build such a great addition to rollercoaster. the second half used to really be just a nice cool down from the first half but now it is insane! I really enjoyed the challenge. The penalty for error during the one very narrow ridge with the rocks on the right is scary.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: The new rollercoaster
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure Art has a plan to widen that last bit out some. It was tough to get it that wide when we were building it. If you would have seen that area before we started you'd be suprised. Art has a real talent for laying trails out.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:44:04 PM »
Once the whoops work in, it will be a blast to ride!  ;D

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
Some more tire traffic to pack things down will do wonders for the new section.  It'll end up pretty flowy once it is all worked in...kinda similar hilly part in the beginning of the old TOE (when they routed it counter clockwise).
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
yea the drops followed by climbs have a very sharp transition, alittle intimidating with the little bit of mud at the bottom of the drops, thought I might go over the handle bars a few times  :D . the new drop at the back of the rollercoaster loop is also very scary to look at but very smooth, just stay back off the seat and let it rip!

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
Sounds awesome, I was at Alafia the weekend before this opened I guess, where is the new part(s) on Rollercoaster?

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »
Sounds awesome, I was at Alafia the weekend before this opened I guess, where is the new part(s) on Rollercoaster?

At the back of the first part of roller coaster they re-did the "harder" option, instead of a rocky/rooty drop followed by a shard left it is now a VERY steep and fast drop with no sudden turns at the bottom.

On the second half of rollercoaster they re-routed a large portion of the trail with a more challenging section. I was not aware of this until I rode on Friday during a downpour. it was raining very hard and somewhat disorienting and I did not expect the new section so when I ended up on a different trail then what I was used to it was very weird. thought I stepped into the twilight zone.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 11:05:05 PM »
   Like SFG said, the narrow rocky section will get a little wider, we  just ran out of time. We had 19 people at the last workday, the new addition was done in 3.5 hours by 15 people(most of them were there for their 1st workday). I was out there for a few days  before that rough cutting it with some help from a couple friends.  I  will try to get out there on Thursday if it's not raining. If anyone has some spare time Thurs morning and wants to help,  just let me know. northbkr@gmail.com or 813-689-5109
    If you like this section there is a lot more just like it on Roller Coaster, North Creek and Moonscape. I'm also going to start marking some new stuff on Rock Garden that will take us along the Eastern part of the river and a new section for Sand Pine. We are even going to build a new section that will start at River Loop that will take us 2 miles to the South that will follow the river. It will be a true beginner loop that will be fast and flowing with very few roots. Wes even has a really cool loop he's been working on at Boyette. All we need to make all this happen is YOU.
    The reason I'm saying all this again is because WE Need More Trail. Alafia is getting more and more crowded and it's going to get a Whole Lot Worse. In the not to distant future there will be nothing but homes up and down Hwy 39 and on Lithia Pinecrest. All these people will be coming to Alafia and Boyette. If we don't start building more trail now, it's going to get so crowded it's not going to be any fun riding on the weekends anymore. There are 6500 acres at Alafia and we are only on about maybe 400 of it.  Imagine how much more WE can have. I can go on forever so I'll stop now and just say, We Really Need Your HELP.
Thanks For Listening
Art

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »
...and a new section for Sand Pine...
I have a few suggestions for that new section!  ;)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »

Lot's of log crosses and rocks? ;D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:15:06 AM »

Lot's of log crosses? ;D
unramped

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 09:29:41 PM »
I don't know where it will be yet but I am planning  on building a trail with a lot of log crossings and rock gardens. The two things I like the most

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 09:46:50 PM »
I don't know where it will be yet but I am planning  on building a trail with a lot of log crossings and rock gardens. The two things I like the most

I love the random placed rocks on Roller Coaster!

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
I have 40 hours of sick time at work, I think i might call in thursday to do some trail maintenance  ;D

Advertisement: