Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Disc brake rub problem  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Disc brake rub problem
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
Since y'all have been so good at answering this neophytes other bike maintenance questions, anyone know the answer to this one:

Whenever I  take off my back wheel (to fix a flat, for instance), when I put it back on, the disc brakes rub a bit, sometimes a lot.  They didn't rub before I took the wheel off. It sometimes takes me 30 minutes to get the wheel set so that the rub is minimized. Sometimes it requires loosening the axle(or is called a hub?) a little, which I bet isn't the safest way to solve the issue.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Disc brake rub problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »
What kind of brakes? Are you sure you are getting the wheel settled into the dropouts properly everytime? Have you checked the rotor for warpage?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:06:40 PM »
That almost sounds like you don't have the wheel in drop outs correctly.  You can also overtighten the QR skewer.  I've had the same scenario happen to me.  I usually fix  by putting the bike on the ground.  Loosening the skwere while making sure the bike is level and re-tightening the skewer.  That usually evens the everything in the drop outs and fixes the issue.  I've also notice that if I back the skwer off about 1/2 a turn if the problem persists after the previous exercise that the brake rub disappears there too.

all of this assumes a true wheel and a true brake rotor.  if you have a warped rotor I know some friends who had luck putting in a vice and "truing" it by rotating the rotor in said vince and clamping it down.  I can't speak as to how good of an idea this is, but its worked for others I know.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Anthem1

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
That's normal, I carry my bike in the back of my truck on a rack so I remove the front wheel. Sometimes it goes back nice sometimes a caliper adjustment is needed :)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
You can true a rotor using a small cresent wrench (make sure it is clean of dirt/grease) and watching the rotor between the brake pads. It is a similar approach to truing a wheel, just bending the rotor back straight.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
That's normal, I carry my bike in the back of my truck on a rack so I remove the front wheel. Sometimes it goes back nice sometimes a caliper adjustment is needed :)

Is that what takes you so long to get ready? I thought you were combing your hair and primping your self! :-\

Anthem1

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 10:07:02 PM »
Image is everything ;D

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:50:02 PM »

Is that what takes you so long to get ready? I thought you were combing your hair and primping your self! :-\

Us slow people need to look good, everyone gets to see us longer than they do you fast guys!

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 09:09:18 AM »

Plus, it takes him forever to figure out your floor pump!  ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Anthem1

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
What are you talking about? I never did figure it out, you had to inflate my tires for me with your pump :D Of course that's how it is with us PRIMO DONNAS, we don't travel without our support staff ;D

Advertisement: