Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: now starts the boring part of training  (Read 2869 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
now starts the boring part of training
« on: June 16, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »
LSD-Long Slower Distance

race season ramps up in Sept. so, it is base building time.  that means longer slower rides and less interval/speed work.  I want to do much better in the races this season and I am starting a training regiment that will give me the best chance to do that.

miles, miles and more miles or on the immediate horizon

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: now starts the boring part of training
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:03:56 AM »
Are you doing that on the loop at Wilderness park or spending some quality time on a road bike? 

This morning was supposed to kick off my long/slower training but the weather wasn't cooperating at all.  All this damn reverse summer weather B.S. lately.  You'd think the second day of summer would bring our usual afternoon rain and allow me to get in my normal early AM rides. 

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: now starts the boring part of training
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »
Are you doing that on the loop at Wilderness park or spending some quality time on a road bike? 

This morning was supposed to kick off my long/slower training but the weather wasn't cooperating at all.  All this damn reverse summer weather B.S. lately.  You'd think the second day of summer would bring our usual afternoon rain and allow me to get in my normal early AM rides. 

neither really - just going a little slower on roller coaster/northcreek and bridges and doing more miles (we threw gatorback in the mix today anyway) or croom or riding more blues between the reds at santos etc. 

from a training blog:

"Base Training (5-8 weeks)
During this phase you will ride at a low intensity but for longer durations than the other phases.  You will increase the duration and mileage of your rides incrementally each week.

The purpose of the base phase is to build general fitness and aerobic capacity without initially placing too much stress on your body.  A strong mileage base will serve as a spring board for the more strenuous phases to follow.

During base training you want to concentrate on long steady rides.  For example, your rides would initially be 15-20 miles at a 11-13 mile an hour pace.  Your mileage, but not your pace would increase each week incrementally.  Remember, endurance mountain bike racing is all about going long and steady so this phase is essential.  Additionally, during your base training phase you want to be practicing basic skills."

Advertisement: