Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Interval Training  (Read 4629 times)

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert
Interval Training
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »
OK, since it's been YEARS since I have been actively riding a bike, I figured I needed to get into shape before I really took on some serious trails. I went to Alafia and rode Rock Garden and Pine Forest, and I have to say I was pretty beat up. I am active, lift weights and run, but this is a whole new experience for me. I came upon a couple serious hills at Alafia, and have to admit I wussed out and walked up them-it was more or less due to lack of confidence over keeping my balance and pedaling like nuts to get up them-they were pretty darn steep (it wasn't Rock Garden, but one of the more difficult trails, can't remember the name). Soooo. I started off easy by doing some intervals on the Suncoast Parkway, and plan on doing this 3x a week.
5 minute warmup/pedaling light
2 minute moderate work/ pedaling at about 80% of max, medium gearing
1 minute hard work/pedaling 100%max at hardest gearing
Repeat the two minute /1 minute work sets for 4-5 times
5 minute cooldown

I plan on working up to 1 minute rest sets and 2 minute hard work sets in a few weeks. My legs are burning pretty good today.
My goal is to get into good shape enough to handle the altitude and harder trails out west; I plan on making a trip to Moab/New Mexico and Arizona next year around May or September. I also plan on hitting Alafia and Morris Bridge frequently to get some skills in the riding department, which I have absolutely none of at this time  ;D I have never ridden dirt trails before- I was always a concrete rider, so this is a whole new animal for me.
Any other training suggestions? I also hit the weights and do circuit training 3x a week as well. I have good cardio, I'm just a little weak in the coordination/climbing and a little nervous in the downhill/excess speed category. I know those things will simply take some time and a lot of practice, but if there is anything anyone can hook me up with I'd appreciate it. I also plan on taking the beginning mountain biking classes I have seen offered on this site as well.
Thanks in advance!

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
Re: Interval Training
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
I said Pine Forest...lol....I meant Sand Pine. I really am a noob.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »
Looks like you are starting out good.  I never took any skills classes, but I hear the intro class is really good.  What it all really boils down to is saddle time.  There it is, I said it. ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Anthem1

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »
Like Jimbo said, just ride :)ALOT ;Dpreferably with some one more skilled than yourself. You can learn so much from riding behind a better rider. There are also a couple of books you can get from the library: check out a book by Brian Lopes, it' got some great technique advice. Also check out a book by Ned Overend(is that a great name or what?)again can't remember the title but a great read. Welcome and hope to see you out there.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:47 PM »
Definitely ride with someone more skilled.  That's how I started out.  My buddy Dan has been riding for around 15 years.  He's the one that got me into this addiction.  I followed him and watched his lines.  I learned a lot from him.

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, all. I am heading out to check out Santos tomorrow, and just get some more riding time in. Good advice on the books- I'll snatch em up on Amazon.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »
You'll love Santos!  Plenty of trail to get your training done.  Have you been there before?  If not, here's a link for a handy dandy trail map:

http://www.omba.org/images/stories/Maps/santos3b.pdf

Enjoy your ride!

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:39:25 PM »
First time, Jimbo! Thanks for the map, I found that site earlier. I'll let you know how I faired- hopefully I will emerge unscathed!! LOL  ;D

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »
Ride with someone better than you that will slow down enough so you can keep up. Riding with someone better does no good if they take off and leave ya! ;D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
Ride with someone better than you that will slow down enough so you can keep up. Riding with someone better does no good if they take off and leave ya! ;D
;D ;D ;D

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
Well, I rode Santos today, and I have to say it was much nicer for the beginning/intermediate MTB'er than Alafia was. Not a major root problem at Santos. I noticed that when I was at Alafia, I was getting beat up with all the roots. It appeared to have been washed out. Santos was great, got a good workout, and I feel a little more confident in my riding.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 11:24:33 PM »
When you get more confident with your skills you should try a couple of the red trails at Santos.  They are a hoot!!!  Glad you had a great ride.  We may run into each other up there if you like it that much.  There's a handfull of us that frequent that place quite a bit.

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 10:12:36 AM »
I was surprised- I got there and there was NOBODY there. I think that's why I was reluctant to ride the hairy stuff...I could picture biting it real bad and lying there in the dirt with a broken femur with no one around...lol. I'll try the crazy stuff when I go out there with other people.

Advertisement: