Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: The rain line.  (Read 1545 times)

Offline paddlewave

• First Bike
  • Work hard ,play harder!
  • My Bike: 04 specialized epic comp, 08 IF Ti Deluxe29er
The rain line.
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:13:54 AM »
As an outdoorsman, I used to look forward to daylight savings. You know what I mean; get off work still have 3-4 hours of daylight left. But this afternoon pourdown that seems to happen up and down a line from Z-hills to Arcadia , daily, is really messing up my my ride time. Why has mother nature forsaken we?
I noticed that the area that seems to get the most evening showers is a line we know as HWY301.  :)

Luis

Re: The rain line.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:14:38 AM »
Would you rather be in a permanent drought?

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »
Good news is the rain keeps the sugar sand away.  Also causes erosin among other things but I wont go there.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »
Would you rather be in a permanent drought?
Not much biking in the Sahara desert I bet.   ;D   But I hear you.  Mother nature keeps us from getting our ride fix at times.  I for one don't worry much about the rain and getting wet.  But I don't like it when a lighting storm is over my head.  I had to called for help at the Hole last tuesday night.  I got the dumb arse award for trying to outrun a lighting storm that didn't go away in time before park closing.  Not to mention the trail erosion that we all cause when we bike on trails that don't take rain it too well.  There are plenty of trails that soak up the water fast and have less or no slick roots.  I stick to those.  Or get my roadie mojo going.  But I wouldn't change Tropical Florida for the Sahara dessert...  LOL....

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »
I got the dumb arse award for trying to outrun a lighting storm that didn't go away in time before park closing.

You guys were going the wrong way when we passed you Tuesday night! Hadda light a fire under my old azz, but we got back to the Hole just in the nick 'o time!  And to think I almost went to the picnic shelter at the river...

Jim
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
Jim,

I thought you were right there with Anthem and I until we got to Heartbreak Ridge and I looked back.....Where did you go from there?

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:28:20 PM »
You got that far before you noticed I was gone?  LOL
I was chasing you guys for a bit...you were moving pretty good thru Indian.  I took a little spill on some slick roots, and by the time i got going again you guys were long gone...  I met up with Barry, Janice, Peter and some other folks before the power line and had a real nice ride with them....before the storm came.  But thanks for asking!

Jim
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »
Ok, you didn't get hurt did you? We passed that group about half way through Indian. Did you guys cross over to
Flatwoods or did the rain come to early.  The rain didn't really threaten us until we were passing the "Y".

Advertisement: