Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Basic Mods  (Read 3106 times)

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert
Basic Mods
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »
Any advice anyone can give me on basic introductory mods for my bike I would greatly appreciate. I have a Trek 4300, and plan on using it for basic trail riding, some jumps (nothing too insane yet), and I plan on taking it out west with me next year to ride some slick rock and some gradual downhills. I already know I need to upgrade the Bontrager tires with Panaracers, and I just bought some ODI lockon grips since the stockers were too slippery. I would like to get a disc brake setup eventually, and of course replace the forks. I am very happy with the comfort of the Bontrager seat and the bars as well...seems to suit my riding style for now. Pedals? Brake recommendations? Should I just stick with the regular brakes? I am pretty clueless, and there's a lot of stuff out there. I am going with the Panaracer (Japan) Fire XC Kevlar tires. Heard a lot of good things about them. I know I ask a lot of questions on here, but being new to the sport, I want to get as much info from the experienced guys who have tried a lot of things and can point me in the right direction. Thanks  ;D

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Basic Mods
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
I'd go with disc brakes first.  A great, economical choice for brakes would be Avid's cable disc brakes - http://www.sram.com/en/avid/mechanicaldiscbrakes/bb7.php.  The brakes will give you a lot of confidence and superb stopping power in all weather conditions.

Next I go with some clipless pedals (I prefer Time's ATAC pedals) and shoes.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »
Definitely the Time pedals, and those BB7 brakes are excellent too!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
BB7 brakes are pretty good, but if you can afford it get some nice hydraulics. Well worth the extra money IMO. I wouldn't get the Panaracer tires either. They might be OK, but everyone that I know that has rode them and either a Conti Explorer, a WTB Wierwolf, or a Maxxis Ignitor says they get better traction AND roll better. Everybody has their own opinion though, and what works good for some doesn't work as good for others.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:10:49 PM »
Some of us like forks that are actually shaped like a fork. ;D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
Good one Greggy! ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »
Another plus for cable actuated disc brakes is that they are generally lighter than hydraulics.  And they still work better than v-brakes.  I almost killed myself Tuesday in the wet/mud with my old XT v-brakes.  I had gotten so used to the discs on my new bike that I went way too deep into some tight, wet turns on the old hardtail...big pucker factor on a trail like Indian when you squeeze em and nothing happens  :o
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:58:08 PM »
Any advice anyone can give me on basic introductory mods for my bike I would greatly appreciate. I have a Trek 4300, and plan on using it for basic trail riding, some jumps (nothing too insane yet), and I plan on taking it out west with me next year to ride some slick rock and some gradual downhills. I already know I need to upgrade the Bontrager tires with Panaracers, and I just bought some ODI lockon grips since the stockers were too slippery. I would like to get a disc brake setup eventually, and of course replace the forks. I am very happy with the comfort of the Bontrager seat and the bars as well...seems to suit my riding style for now. Pedals? Brake recommendations? Should I just stick with the regular brakes? I am pretty clueless, and there's a lot of stuff out there. I am going with the Panaracer (Japan) Fire XC Kevlar tires. Heard a lot of good things about them. I know I ask a lot of questions on here, but being new to the sport, I want to get as much info from the experienced guys who have tried a lot of things and can point me in the right direction. Thanks  ;D

Looks like you already have ideas on what to upgrade.

I won't go crazy on upgrading the bike but if you do make sure you can reuse the upgrades to your next bike. I am not a fan of Trek but the 4300 is an entry bike so I would imagine by the time you head west you will have an upgrade bike and can cannibalize the 4300 ;)

MoriSSon

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »
If either Gregg or Jimbo can keep up with me on a technical trail (or any trail for that matter) then they can pick on my one legged fork.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:26:23 AM »
If either Gregg or Jimbo can keep up with me on a technical trail (or any trail for that matter) then they can pick on my one legged fork.

Ouch!  :o

Jimmy and I can hold our own on the technical stuff and neither are slouches in the speedier sections. Sounds like a challenge that we might have to check out. I suspect that you are more consistant than either of us, but it would be good to follow you through some of the tougher stuff.

Just for clarification though, it technically is not a "fork" as there is only one prong. I'm just sayin' ;D.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
Does that Trek 4300 have disk ready wheels? 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:20:37 AM »
Sounds like Gregg, Jimbo, and Slow should all meet up at Alafia and do a little time trial challenge on maybe Bridges.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 09:35:51 AM »
What a minute....you guys are wrangling me into something crazy!  I was just making fun of his spork. ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
Sounds like Gregg, Jimbo, and Slow should all meet up at Alafia and do a little time trial challenge on maybe Bridges.

??? Bridges isn't technical!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »

??? Bridges isn't technical!

Um, actually portions of Bridges is technical.  No, you can't define technical trail in some of the Florida trail systems as technical based upon North Shore Trails, or Western downhill trails.  But, when the terrain becomes difficult and dotted with roots, rock, erosion and steep downs and ups, then it becomes a trail with technical features - translates to a technical trail.  Welcome to Florida.  Time to ride.  Off to Boyette to enjoy some technical features.  Anyone jones'n for a ride??

Advertisement: