Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ridge Trail?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
Ridge Trail?
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:43:36 PM »
just got my newsletter and was reading about the new trail being built at Boyette. ANy estimated time of opening? Sounds like an awesome trail in the works. Its great to have 2 parks so close to me. I love Alafia for all of the Technical trails and then hit Boyette for some mileage.
Cant wait for it to be open!!
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
Re: Ridge Trail?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:48:53 PM »
I've worked with Wes a few days on the Ridgeline trail.

It should be a fast, intermediate level trail featuring lots of elevation change.  I think Wes told me it would be a little over a mile in length.

The trail follows 3 lines of ridges in the area just south of Pandemonium.

Work on the trail seems to have stopped for now until the Law says that SWAMP can bring heavy equipment in to Boyette.  Once that happens many volunteer hours will be needed to do the benchcutting and other stuff needed to make the trail rideable. 
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »
I've worked with Wes a few days on the Ridgeline trail.

It should be a fast, intermediate level trail featuring lots of elevation change.  I think Wes told me it would be a little over a mile in length.

The trail follows 3 lines of ridges in the area just south of Pandemonium.

Work on the trail seems to have stopped for now until the Law says that SWAMP can bring heavy equipment in to Boyette.  Once that happens many volunteer hours will be needed to do the benchcutting and other stuff needed to make the trail rideable. 

Just a note to everybody...There are actually three trails being worked - or need to be worked - at Boyette. 
Ridgeline, Garry's Loop, and Canyon.  These will add the fun factor to what is already out there and transform Boyette into the trail system it needed to be.

Tough thing is we really need a lot of help to pull it off.  We were under the belief that SWAMP members and local riders were interested in these types of trails so we have given it our all to try and get that done; it only gets done by volunteers.  But each workday it seems harder and harder to encourage trail builders to show up.  No disrespect to the ones who do consistently show up to the workdays each week, You folks rock!  But we seriously need a few big pushes to make this happen.  It will be well worth all of the work in the end.

At present we only get one workday a month to drive tools and people to the areas that need work.  The Land Manager is trying to get us permission to do more, but it's a lot of legal wrangling; hopefully soon. 

Meanwhile, when that one workday does come around and only 10 or 12 people show up to cover 2 dozen jobs, at the end of the day only a small amount of the assorted jobs get done.  It would sure be nice to get a few of those workdays seeing 20/25 people.

We always need trimming.  We now need a half dozen spots of erosion fixed.  Three new trails need to be worked.  Oh yea - and it's a small thing - but someone keeps stealing the RED SHIRT!  Geez.

Anyway, hope to see a few more faces on the workday July12th.
Thanks for listening.
G

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »
Well said Garry. I see guys that find time to ride 3-4-5 times a week, and that is cool. How about giving a little back and helping out on the trailwork? Some good karma goes a long way! ;D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
These new trails sound awesome and right up my alley so I will make it a point to commit to work days.  I'm a fat guy that sits at a desk all day so I may need to take some extra breaks, but I'll pull my weight so to speak  ;D
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Advertisement: