Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Fire at Alafia - what's affected?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Qfactor

• First Bike
Fire at Alafia - what's affected?
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:19:02 PM »
Luis already posted this over at mtbflorida.net but no replies yet. Supposedly, flames were right up to SR39 and have burned at least 200 acres. I just happened to catch it on the 10 o'clock Fox News cast.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Fire at Alafia - what's affected?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »
It's that time of year. I wouldn't worry too much about the actual fire. The landscape in Florida is adapted to fire and recovers quickly. Especially in the summer. What we should be concerned about are the suppression lines that are put in by D.O.F. dozers. They could disrupt the trails in a significant way. But if I had to bet I would guess that the rollercoaster/moonscape area was not impacted too much. That's because it is mostly an oak hammock area and it typically does not burn real well. The palmetto flatwoods areas are the areas that will see the most fire activity.
But don't be suprised if the trails are closed tommorow. (Or at least some of them.) Im sure there will be crews in there mopping up.   
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:31:20 PM »
The fire is near Thatcher Road, which is at the southern end of the park.  Trails should not be affected.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »
everything I rode this morning was in good shape. Didn't ride sandpine or river loop, but I don't see those burning after the controlled burn earlier in the year.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 05:37:14 PM »
Sandpine is friggin sweet after that controlled burn and it bives the trail somewhat of a spooky feel.  The newly sprouting palmettos also have a nice green contrast against the charred pine trees.  Plus there is now new incentive to completely clear all the trees along the trail (bumping a shoulder now results in black soot transfer). 

Advertisement: