Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Another reason to wear a helmet  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Another reason to wear a helmet
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:49:43 AM »
A 14 year old girl out there on her own? I know anyone of any age could be attacked. But I don't know if I'd let someone 14 be by themselves in the Alsaskan wilderness. There are other racers, but a 24 hour event spreads them out.
I hope she'll be ok,
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »
A 14 year old girl out there on her own? I know anyone of any age could be attacked. But I don't know if I'd let someone 14 be by themselves in the Alsaskan wilderness. There are other racers, but a 24 hour event spreads them out.
I hope she'll be ok,
She is fighting for her life.  I read another report in a different site that had the account of the police officer who went in with the shutgon to help the paramedics get to her.  She may have been doing it on a team.  Not many 14 yro doing 24 solos.  Not many top notch athletes doing 24hr solos for that matter.  Hey if my kid ever wants to do a team race with me and I feel confident he/she can find her way in the woods, I will gladly accept.  But you are right, to let him/her go on her own at 1am in gizzly infested woods next to a river full of Salmon with a light that you can only see the trail ahead of you... may not be a good choice of race to do it with my kids.  Let's hope she makes it.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »
Honestly..and I know this is a hot button topic, than many here may or may not agree with..but If I ride anywhere but here in Florida, by myself, during either the mornings or late afternoon...I'm armed.
Its not for people, I encounter

Would a small hand gun kill something like a bear?..not likely but the noise will likely scare it off..not to mention the harsh stinging sensation the bullet causes will give it something to think about too.
I understand if your ambushed theres no way to get to it, before its too late..but people aren't always ambushed..sometimes the bear wants you to see it coming..and in those instances I'd feel alittle safer.
I also heard of a story about someone getting killed by a mountain lion out in Colorado..and another rider found the deceased mans bike, and while investigating it, the lion came back to claim its kill, and mauled the rider who came to investigate..We're in their territory. Nature didn't design us to be predators..we are frail, weak and fragile compared to other better equipped beasts..I'm glad Florida doesn't have predators that are in a position to hunt people. Living in and around the Morris Bridge forest area for most of my life, I have seen a Florida Black bear..from a far distance and it still immediately ran for cover. I've never laid eyes on a Florida panther in the wild, but I have seen their tracks, So they are out there..and if your riding along and feel like your being watched..(which is one of those few animalistic instincts we humans still possess.) it might be wise to slow up and take a real good look around you..especially around spring time.

all that said..my prayers are with the girl and her family.
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Advertisement: