Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: do i need a carbon frame....  (Read 3477 times)

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
do i need a carbon frame....
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:26:39 AM »
I have been looking at a new bike, and have decided on a Canondale Rize 4 (alum frame, fox fork, fox shock, hydro brakes) and now have to make a harder decision.....   I have the chance to buy a Rize 1 (carbon frame, carbon lefty fork, etc), weight is 22 lbs !!!!  I can buy the carbon bike for the exact price of the Rize 4 model.  Its a new bike, it just has been parking lot tested at the LBS.   I will never race, and I tip the scales at 200lbs.  Do I need a carbon bike, or should I stick with the stronger Rize 4?  I only ride our local trails.... maybe twice a week if im lucky.  I need to decide in the next few days or let my buddy take it. 
I have the key to the city.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: do i need a carbon frame....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:33:31 AM »
Do both wheels leave the ground on a regular basis during your rides?  Do you tend to crash a bunch?  If you answered yes to either, I'd go with the Al version else pick up that carbon version at the killer price.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »
Are you a sponsored, professional racer where frames and parts are replaced for you?  If so carbon would be fun.  If you're a regular working guy like the rest of us have at the aluminum version.  I imagine carbon to be best suited for road or strictly Cross Country.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »
If you can get a much better bike for the same price and it fits.  I don't see what the question is.  I am assuming the Rize 1 has better components AND the frame is better.  Unless it is the wrong size or has no warranty, buy it!  Other than some Gary Fisher frames, I haven't heard of carbon fiber frames failing at a higher rate than Al.  Good luck.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »
...I haven't heard of carbon fiber frames failing at a higher rate than Al.  Good luck.
They do when you are a clyde juping off logs, bunny hopping all overe the place.  May be a good deal up front.  I would jump on it if I plan on loosing another 20-30lbs and keep my wheels on the ground.  But that is not happening for me soon.  IN the long run, he may have to replace parts (if not the frame) a few times then he would have if he stays with the AL.  So it may not turn out such of a good deal afterall.  I would still jump on it though for a short lived shot of fame and glory.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:41:29 AM »
Don't listen to those guys. I have a carbon Rize 2. I'm 225lbs and I've beat the snot out of this bike. This isn't your typical carbon framed race bike, this is a bike built and desinged to ride trails and small jumps. C-dale even did a bunch of testing riding the carbon Rize off a loading dock, 5ft to flat. If that is a stock bike it doesn't weigh 22lbs, about 24.3 is what both of my buddies large Rize 1's weighed when they got them.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:46:25 AM »
I would go for carbon frame if the price is right. Just make sure you have the warranty documented well just in case if you will have a really bad crash. Everyting fails but when carbon frame fails its expensive to fix compare to aluminum.

my $0.02

MoriSSon

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
For how I ride, I would not go with a carbon fiber mountain bike frame (or really carbon fiber anything - its a pain to clean out of wounds)...that said, I think carbon fiber is fine for most people, just not me and still stand by my line of questioning that if you plan on leaving the ground often or put yourself in situations where you may wreck some (particularly in sharp, rocky sections), you'd be better off with an Al frame over an equivalent CF one.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »
Buy the better bike for whatever price it is ('specially if it is the price of the cheaper version & has a warranty).  If you don't like it, you can probably sell it for what you paid and try something else.

jm2c

Jim
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »
I never go for air, and when I do crash its minor (knocking on wood).  If anything I am gaining weight right now (lots of gym time).  the Rize 1 claims 22.?? lbs with no pedals, its a medium which is what I would like.  My current cannondale is a large, and im not comfortable on it.  Its a hard choice to make.  The Rize 4 seems so much more solid, but the carbon Rize 1 is like riding an old light BMX bike.  It just feels so nimble. 

Slowfatguy, does your Rize 2 have the carbon lefty fork?  and if so, how do you like it???
I have the key to the city.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
Yup, mine has the carbon Fox RLC fork. Best fork out there IMO. Don't get discouraged by all the haters either! They just wish their forks were this light and stiff! ;D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
If slowfatguy is riding the same bike, you know it will hold up.  I rode a carbon fiber frame for a year or so, it feels great, and I rode it like it stole from me and I never cracked it.  If you can get the superior bike for the same price, it is almost a no-brainer to get it.  I am sure it comes with as nice if not nicer parts too.  Whatever you decide, enjoy the new bike!!

Anthem1

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 06:49:21 PM »
Like eclark said, the Rize 1 is speced better for the same money. No Brainer :)

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
More for your money with carbon holds up just as well with all the abuse of aluminum

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 06:32:22 PM »
Dude..  The fork is still missing a stantion.. ;)

Advertisement: