Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Creature on the North Abyss  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
Creature on the North Abyss
« on: July 04, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
Well, rode out to Boyette this early AM and hit the trail. I passed 3 coming in from the last  half of Golf cart and then hit N. Abyss. Looked like it hadnt been ridden yet in the AM. So I drop in and make the first bend to the left and descend back to the right. This is where it gets good. As I carried too much speed I slid off the line and off the trail to the right. Now I am completely stopped and quiet when I hear this noise- at first it sounds like something far off but then I realize it is fairly close in the thick swamp growling. Now imagine a dog growling - low deep and guttural but a fairly huge dog. I obviously came up on something just of the trail that didnt like me coming that close. After three or more growls I decided I would head back out of N abyss instead of moving forward. Scared the crap out of me actually. I can only think it must have been a large wild hog in the bush somewhere but it had to be big. Wasnt a gator as no hissing but could nt believe how big this thing sounded. I guess there are some critters out there still. Anyway finished off with some Pandemonium, Sidewinder, SWamp thing and woods trail and back to car.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Creature on the North Abyss
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »
Well, rode out to Boyette this early AM and hit the trail. ..... Now I am completely stopped and quiet when I hear this noise- at first it sounds like something far off but then I realize it is fairly close in the thick swamp growling. Now imagine a dog growling - low deep and guttural but a fairly huge dog.... I can only think it must have been a large wild hog in the bush somewhere but it had to be big. Wasnt a gator as no hissing but could nt believe how big this thing sounded. I guess there are some critters out there still.

There has been sightings in the past of a large cat of some sorts out there.  It's pretty elusive and hasn't been seen in a few months.  There are large hogs there too, along with bobcats and some say even a Yeti!

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
yup,
heard about the large cat sightings but havent seen any yet myself. If this was a cat it had to be panther sized but I dont think it would stay and growl rather slip away. I do know that when I yelled back it quit- thats a good sign. Too bad I was solo and no one else could hear it. Oh well just adds to the mystery -
Just a big Hooper!

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:28:47 PM »
I'm voting Skunk Ape.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
hence the reason I always keep a fixed blade knife in my camelbak, there could be dangerous stuff out there

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
wow..nice..I'm all about leaving all animals, big and small alone..but they don't follow that rule as closely as I do..the growl was clearly saying "get the hell out of here" so good choice on abandoning your Abyss run..and when you consider, how easily a big Florida Panther type cat could run down a mountain biker, it was an even better choice.

I have carried everything from knives to even small handguns..I have no inherent fear of being attacked, just a solid respect...I know, I stand little to no chance defending myself against something big enough to be willing to attack me..better safe than sorry
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:12:24 PM »
yup,
heard about the large cat sightings but havent seen any yet myself. If this was a cat it had to be panther sized but I dont think it would stay and growl rather slip away. I do know that when I yelled back it quit- thats a good sign. Too bad I was solo and no one else could hear it. Oh well just adds to the mystery -

If it was startled and felt you were too close to just bolt and run, then it might lay there with a warning growl.  I saw it once and it was easily over 40 pounds.  I have been trying to remember to carry my camera with me in case I see it again - or any other creatures worth snapping a picture of.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »
Wonder if this post by Alan had any correlation to the "growl".

----------------------------

I had to dig this thread up...

We went out to Boyette today and rode just under 10-miles (less than usual...but neither of us could get in a groove today).  That dog followed or led us every step of the way.  It was pretty cute at first, but that wore off quickly after I almost crashed a couple times when she stopped right in front of me a couple times for no reason on Abyss and Sidewinder.  Both of us were on singlespeeds so we really couldn't outrun her.

Offline hairball

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
My buddy and I experienced the same thing last year at Alifia
You described it perfectly - "A deep guttural sound" almost at a sub woofer level.

We heard it growl at least 10 times before we decided that getting a rescue helicopter ride to a hospital isn't the way to get our 15 minutes of fame.

Every one we told about it didn't really believe us... All I can say is... it scared the crap out of me.
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »
I am so glad I am not the only one that has heard this noise.  At last month's club ride, I heard the same noice at the same spot.  I really didn't know what to make of the noise since I've never heard such loud thing.  I kept going all the way to the benches where I met up with Steve (NY Steve) and a group of his friends.  I asked him if heard the noise and he said yes and he thought it was an alligator.  This thing sounded more then just a gator.  The weird thing is that I heard it at the same spot you mentioned and over to the next two drops as if it was following me along the edge of the water.  I even went to the edge of the water to see if I saw anything but no luck.

Hmmm... time for a little hunt?

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 09:43:33 PM »
Actually a gator does make a low pitch growling noise in the summer months. I've heard them out there on south Abyss before.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 08:59:55 AM »

We went out to Boyette today and rode just under 10-miles (less than usual...but neither of us could get in a groove today).  That dog followed or led us every step of the way.  It was pretty cute at first, but that wore off quickly after I almost crashed a couple times when she stopped right in front of me a couple times for no reason on Abyss and Sidewinder.  Both of us were on singlespeeds so we really couldn't outrun her.

Nah...that dog is a complete sweetheart.  I couldn't see it growling at anyone. 

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
a Gator is capable of a deep growl like that, but that isn't it's "warning".
They hiss as a warning, the growl means something else to them, I don't speak gator, but I have lived in Florida all my life and have walked up on countless gators in the wild, and have been hissed at more than my fair share of times, and have never been "growled" at..But I have heard them growl, when looking for or handling their young, and while around other gators.
Dogs have a good growl, but even with Rotties and Mastiffs, the growl is deep and guttoral , but not "loud",
Pigs can growl, but is usually accompanied by grunts, and a snorts..

so this is a real mystery...
 and Sandpine, I'm down for a "hunt" ..so long as we aren't out there with fire and pitchforks..lol
I love the safety guns afford me, but I'm certainly not a "hunter".lol..I have a feeling, whatever it is, stays away from groups..
I'm really wondering if Boyette/Alafia area, doesn't have a Florida Panther calling it home..
A.) They growl exactly like that
B.) They are hardly ever, if, ever seen
C.) Some people claim to have seen one, and its pretty hard to confuse that with something else.
D.) with no hunters or predators to fear, the cat would eventually begin warn invaders, instead of turning and running...
That said, if that turns out to be true..Florida game and wildlife, may have to hunt it down, and move it to a less utilized area.
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 09:25:59 AM »

Nah...that dog is a complete sweetheart.  I couldn't see it growling at anyone. 

That's not what I meant.  I meant it stopped suddenly for no apparent reason - because it was aware of another animals presence?

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »
yeah I saw the dog in the parking lot when I came back. My brother is a fireman at Sun City and they have done burns at Boyette and he swears they saw a panther one time during a burn/ training fire. Anyway it sure put me on edge for the rest of my ride. It will probably be on my mind whenever I hit the N abyss trail. Heck I almost always ride that place early AM or Late PM with the sun setting. Its good to know I am not the only one to hear it.
Just a big Hooper!

Advertisement: