Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike advice  (Read 2128 times)

Offline TimS

• First Bike
Bike advice
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »
I've been out of it for awhile and now looking for a new bike on a budget. Seen several on the net and could use some help comparing models. Motobecane and Ibex seem to have some of the more equipped bikes with what seems to be decent components. Anyone help?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Bike advice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »
full suspension or hard tail?

what type of riding?

budget?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:39:40 PM »
I've been out of it for awhile and now looking for a new bike on a budget. Seen several on the net and could use some help comparing models. Motobecane and Ibex seem to have some of the more equipped bikes with what seems to be decent components. Anyone help?

I would stay away from Motobecane.  Although it's name is from a fine bike built starting back in 1923 it is a far cry from what it was.  If you must buy a used bike be assured of the frame quality and expect to replace the drive train, brakes, cables and housing, and derailieurs because of wear and tear of use.  There are fine bikes out there, just be careful.  Try not to buy one that is too old in technology.  Specialized, Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher, Intense, Rocky Mountain, KHS, Santa Cruz are some of the top name brands to watch for.  I don't know what your budget is, but new a good full suspension will start at about $1200.  A good hardtail will start at about $800.  You can get a good entry level HT for between $350 and $550.  With bikes it truly is you get what you pay for.  $800/$900 will buy you a bike with a better fork.  Depends on what you expect to get out of it.

Offline TimS

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »
I was looking for full suspension. Most of my riding will be local. As for my budget, I would like to keep it under $1000. I don't get the chance to ride as much as I would like and don't want to spend a lot for something I'm not going to use.

Anthem1

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:28:09 AM »
The 09's should be filtering in, so you should be able to negotiate on a 08 :)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 09:36:28 AM »
I was looking for full suspension. Most of my riding will be local. As for my budget, I would like to keep it under $1000. I don't get the chance to ride as much as I would like and don't want to spend a lot for something I'm not going to use.

Looking for a full suspension bike for under $1000 is a tough call. If you want a quality, enjoyable, long lasting bike I would suggest going a couple hundred $$ more.  One choice would be the Specialized FSR XC; it is a good example at $1250.  You get their long standing tried and true frame design with good quality components and a Rock Shox Tora fork.  Not a top of the line fork, but certainly a good fork on a good bike that will take what we ride in this area and others.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »
As Gary said Specialized FSR XC is a great bike.  There is also the Giant Trance2, and also a Giant Yukon which sells for like 700.00.  Although the Giant Trance2 is in your price range, I would recommend the Specialized FSR XC.  There was a Gary Fisher on Craig's List for sale.  Anyway, if you take 1000.00 to a bike shop I'm sure you will leave happy with a bike.  As said earlier, the 09's are filtering in. I think AJ's has the 08 Specialized FSR XC marked down if they still have them.   

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
I believe the Giant Yukon just won a bike shootout in the $800 category.  I understand you get what you pay for, but if you want to keep to a budget, it is a good way to go.  Remember, you will need a good helmet and either water bottles or a hydration pack.  Good luck.

Here is a link.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/1382/29355/
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »
Because of oil prices the '09's and beyond will be a bit more expensive.  All bike products - all products in general - are jumping up in price.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
The 09's should be filtering in, so you should be able to negotiate on a 08 :)

Working in a bike shop I know it is tough to be able to negotiate on price.  There isn't a huge market up on them. The price is set allowing the shop to keep it's doors open, pay staff, supply the shop with inventory, etc., etc.  Better to ask for any closeouts from the manufacturer or blemished bikes from the manufacturer.  Not many, and they go fast if they have them.  Some shops do buy from another shop that has gone out of business somewhere and can then blowout a price, but not too often.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »
The 09 bikes will be 12-20% higher than last years bikes, When the 09's come out I don't think you will be able to get the 08's with the closeout pricing that was available in the past. This is what I have been told by a few of the rep's I know. If you guy's want to get a new bike this is the time to do it. Like Garry said, you do get what you pay for. Some of the cheaper brands that have decent parts at a low price are cheap for a reason. I won't name them to protect the innocent.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 01:58:45 PM »
some people here will cringe when I mention this, but check out Dicks or Sports Authority, they carry the Diamond back and K2, and either offer you, upgradeable bikes, that, will get you started. They have a decent Hardtail for $260 and a halfway decent FS starting at $350..but they also offer better lines than that going all the way up to around $900...you get no service, a scary assembly, you'll definitely want to go over, and low grade components, but all of that can be remedied, easily, and you wont kill the bank in this economy...I've got three different friends on them and they all love them, and it got them hooked on the sport..now when they are ready to upgrade and buy a better bike, none are going to cringe at spending $1000 or more, because they "get it" now.

Don't expect them to be light, by most bikers standards..but thats easily overcome, by building muscle tissue ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:02:32 PM by LTS guy »
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »
I know people who ride Motobecane's and I've never heard a single complaint from them about the bike. Look into www.bikesdirect.com I've had experience dealing with them, awesome service, free shipping, good deals.

Offline nolesworld

• First Bike
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »
I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. I would suggest looking for a good deal on a bike by a major brand like Specialized, Kona, Gary Fisher, Giant, Trek, etc.  You can probably pick up a good FS on ebay or craigslist from 600 -1200 depending on the age and quality of components.  The reason I suggest a well known brand is you can fairly easily sell these bikes again on ebay with minimal loss from my experiences.  If you really get into biking you will probably be looking to sell your starter bike within a year and shell out to the LBS for exactly what you want.  Good luck....

Also, as for the motobecanes.  I just helped my brother in law move the other day and he has a motobecane he bought a year ago just to get into the sport like you(He didn't get into it).  I think he spent like 550 for a full suspension.  I rode it around his street and the bike was ok but definitely felt a little cheesy compared to my 03 Specialized Enduro or my 06 Gary Fisher 293 .  I'm sure they work ok but I would probably be hesitant to upgrade much on that bike going forward.

Advertisement: