Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Weekend in NC: Bent Creek, Dupont, Catawba  (Read 1760 times)

Offline 41ants

• First Bike
Weekend in NC: Bent Creek, Dupont, Catawba
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »
Mixed a little business with pleasure last week/weekend, which may extend a bit into next week.  The riding started out with a quick ride in Charlotte, NC at Catawba Wednesday evening. There are 2 sections here: North & South.  Most of this is well maintained single track that is fast and flowy.  The North section seemed to be a bit narrower slightly faster.  The south section had a few technical climbs that reminded me a bit of gator back with some of the roots, but these were a lot longer.  I spent about 2 hours out here getting the legs warmed up for what was to come. 

Thursday afternoon I left Charlotte and made my way to Asheville, NC and got a quick ride in at bent creek.  Did a fairly tough climb up to 5 points and did the north ridge up to the top and did Greens Lick down.  This is a bit different from last years run down there as they tossed in a couple of surprise rock gardens, which keeps you on your toes, especially when bombing down at 35mph!...  Wrapped up this ride in time to get cleaned up and pick the wife up at airport.

Friday: Was basically a repeat of Thursday’s ride, but a bit slower paced as the legs were a bit soar. 

Saturday:  Decided to venture a bit outside of Asheville, so went south to Brevard, NC and stopped into Sycamore cycles for some repair items and trail maps.  The folks there were extremely helpful as far as putting together some great routes in Dupont….

Sunday:  Hotel checkout was 11AM, so we just did another quick ride in Bent Creek since it was fairly close to our hotel in downtown Asheville.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Weekend in NC: Bent Creek, Dupont, Catawba
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »
Never been up those sweet trails hopefully in the near future.
That is an awesome Niner you got.

Thanks for sharing.

MoriSSon

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
Great pics!!  It sure does look beautiful up there. :)
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:22:33 PM »
I love Dupont.

Offline 41ants

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:09:34 PM »
I had such a great time... again!  I am actually thinking about keeping a bike at a friend's house in Charlotte to make riding in NC that more convenient, especially considering I am already in NC 2 weeks a quarter. 

The wife and I  are tentatively doing another trip back to dupont/pisgah for Labor Day weekend.  On this trip I would also like to do some Black Mountain trails, specifically the Clawhammer.  Has anyone ridden this trail?

Luis

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »
specifically the Clawhammer.  Has anyone ridden this trail?

Buy this map http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/387/796/246.html

Clawhammer is just a gravel climb to the intersection of Black Mountain /Buckhorn Gap...

For a sweet short ride go up FS 477>Clawhammer> Maxwell Cove> Black Mountain... There are too many trails up there to list here.  Just buy the map and go explore...
2 weeks / quarter in NC? Lucky...

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »
I did the Clawhammer climb several years ago...it was brutal, but the way down (can't remember the specific trails) was a blast.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline 41ants

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:12:06 PM »
Another ride update.  This morning about 6:15am I rode some trails in Newberry, SC at Lynche's Woods park.  Overall the trail is fun and flows well. Most of it was covered in pine needles and pine cones, which makes it a bit slipery/loose if you don't watch it. The trails are very tight, which I like, but there seemed to be alot of trees that were downed. Some of them I could clear and others I wound up smashing my big chainring and others I just walked over/around.

If you ride early in the morning you better not be an arachnophobic because you are going to be riding through a ton of webs and be pulling spiders off of yourself and bike.

Pics:
Rootbase from one of the larger downed trees

One of the small creek crossings

Advertisement: