Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Death of an Innocent - Short Story  (Read 2047 times)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Death of an Innocent - Short Story
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »
There was a post from mtbflorida about an epic mountain bike ride to Alaska's Stampede Trail. I heard the story of "Into the Wild" countless of times but have not read or watch the movie. I just started reading this morning and the story is just great.

Here is the free story of the net http://outside.away.com/outside/features/1993/1993_into_the_wild_1.html.
Good reading.

MoriSSon
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:45:38 AM by treadlight »

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
Re: Death of an Innocent - Short Story
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
Inspiring

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »
I've read the book and seen the movie, it's a good book and movie.
I've looked around at other stories about McCandless, tragic indeed, but there are several witness accounts that I have read stating that he basicaly went into the wilderness blind, no navigation, no survival supplies. One account I read said that where McCandless tried to cross the river to head out of his camp but found the river was too rapid to cross, less than a mile from that spot there was a hand crank lift to get over the river, unfortunately he had no map with him to know this. Anyway, good book if you have the time to read it.
[/don]

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
Inspiring
Now that you have made me read it.  I don't mean this in a bad way since I did enjoy reading it.  But inpiring to you in what way?  To stand up to the "man" and survive an extreme isolated life?  Proof of self existance in the far ends of the world to whom?  It was a bit of a selfish life but I sure hope he found what he was looking for.

There is one line on page 10 that reads:  "...Some who have been brought back from the far edge of starvation, though, report that near the end their suffering was replaced by a sublime euphoria, a sense of calm accompanied by transcendent mental clarity. Perhaps, it would be nice to think, McCandless enjoyed a similar rapture."

That comes somewhat close to what I have experienced in very long rides 4hrs+ (50+ miles).  There comes a time when it hurts more to be off the bike then on it.  Everything hurts to much that you have to direct your focus into in believing you are okay.  I guess is some sort of mental state of calmness which replaces your pain to help you deal with such extreme conditions we put our bodies through.  Need more practice at the type of pain and torture to survive longer enduro mtb rides I guess.  ;)

Offline SamW

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • SWAMPER
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
Interesting, but he should of followed the Boy Scouts creed "Be Prepared" instead of the writings of some wack job named Leo Toltstoy.
Addicted to MTB

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
Inspiring
Now that you have made me read it.  I don't mean this in a bad way since I did enjoy reading it.  But inpiring to you in what way?  To stand up to the "man" and survive an extreme isolated life?  Proof of self existance in the far ends of the world to whom?  It was a bit of a selfish life but I sure hope he found what he was looking for.

Inspiring
- to raise your hand and answer the question when nobody else would.
- to give up the life of comfort for solitude.
- to live like our ancestors, full of wanders and the zest to discover.
- to live your life the way you wanted it to be.

I agree he has his personal short comings but in the grand scheme of things what he proved to himself and experienced is what matters.

Each one of us has his alter-ego that just wanted to escape the drudgery of society and responsibility. Each one of us wanted to ride our bike through the unknown, ride with no regards to the future but living life like a pedal stroke ---- one at a time into an undisturbed patch of dirt, smelling the blooming flora with tall grasses caressing your arm as you zipped through an empty single track.

That my friend is the parallel to what Christopher McCandless did .

MoriSSon.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:03:25 PM »
Inspiring

Inspiring
- to raise your hand and answer the question when nobody else would.
- to give up the life of comfort for solitude.
- to live like our ancestors, full of wanders and the zest to discover.
- to live your life the way you wanted it to be.

I agree he has his personal short comings but in the grand scheme of things what he proved to himself and experienced is what matters.

Each one of us has his alter-ego that just wanted to escape the drudgery of society and responsibility. Each one of us wanted to ride our bike through the unknown, ride with no regards to the future but living life like a pedal stroke ---- one at a time into an undisturbed patch of dirt, smelling the blooming flora with tall grasses caressing your arm as you zipped through an empty single track.

That my friend is the parallel to what Christopher McCandless did .

MoriSSon.

i shaved my legs last night

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
You guy's are as wacked as that wacko ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »
dang - another smite

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »
Hey Morisson- I read the book and saw the movie. I don't know if either inspired me but that thread on Mtbr.com sure did. Talk about epic.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Anthem1

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:32:35 PM »
There's some Karma to offset it :)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »
Saw the movie - liked it. Even got the soundtrack ;D- some good Eddie Vedder. The older you get and the more burdens of work, bills etc the more appealing it is. At least to live vicariuosly for a moment. I like the living part and food though.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Advertisement: