Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Larger UST tires...  (Read 2116 times)

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Larger UST tires...
« on: July 10, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Anyone running larger (2.2 - 2.4) UST tires?  Curious as to what people are using and if they like them.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Re: Larger UST tires...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Panaracer Rampages on Mavics (w/Stan's).  I run about 27-28 lbs.  This is on a hardtail 29er for what its worth.  They have excellent grip, great volume, and they are tough as heck.  Shed mud well also.  They are considered light for a bigger 29er tire at 710-720 grams each.  I have heard great things about Conti Mt. Kings in 2.4 size.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  My big bike goes in for surgery tomorrow for a new set of UST rims laced to my current hubs (note to anyone - STAY AWAY FROM DT SWISS 6.1FR RIMS!!!!  The DT stands for Dents Terrifically) so I was curious what anyone's experience has been with some of the larger UST trail tires.  I already know that I'll get a set of Michelin UST DH tires - Comp32 front and Comp16 rear-  for trips out west, but I'll need something for general trail riding around here.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »
I just mounted a set of 2.35 Maxxis Ignitors. Heading to Santos Sunday, I'll let ya know how I like them.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:02:24 PM »
Had a decent ride, it was stupid hot out. Overall I really liked the tires, but could tell a big difference in rolling resistance and trying to accelerate back to speed (not a big suprise). They worked really well in the wet conditions in the morning, great traction over the wet roots and really gave alot of confidence in anything sketchy.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »
I'll look into those Maxxis tires when I get my relaced wheels back later this week.  Chainlove had some blowout Continental UST tires that I may try as well if they pop back on.  Even though it probably won't happen until next year, I can wait to get some big tires on there, set them around 25psi, point the bike downhill, and carve some nice turns without worrying about pinch flats.  These Mavic rims should be much better than the craptacular DT Swiss rims I currently have.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
which rims did you go with Bill?

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:45:52 PM »
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 are available in UST with dual traciton compound and sidewall shield.  I have them in 1.95, 2.1, and 2.35 and like the 2.1 the best for all around use.  I use stans in the standard model and have had no issues with the beads, though I weigh about 160 and ride a 5 inch bike.  The 2.35's are a little hard to push, but they will take you anywhere you can pedal.

here is the chart http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »
I'm getting my hubs relaced to some Mavic 823 UST rims.  I've had great luck with my 819 UST rim on the back of my Blur so I decided the 823 was the way to go for the big bike.

I'm currently running tubed 2.35 Kenda's (Blue Groove front and Nevegal rear) on the Intense and I'm considering the new 2.35 UST Nevegal, but was curious if anyone has tried any other offerings in that size range from other companies.  Unfortunately there is not a ton of reviews out there on bigger UST tires.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
I've got 819's on both of my bikes, they are great! Those 823's should be bomb proof.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »
I've never had a single problem with Mavic rim but decided to go with the DT Swiss 6.1's when I got the wheelset built for my Intense and on their first real test (bombing down Mammoth)...I pinched flatted twice and put a nice big dent in the sidewall of one.  Later on that same trip, I pinched again on another trail and put an even bigger dent in the sidewall of the other rim.  The 6.1's were complete garbage and if you search any of the big mtb message boards, you'll see a ton of similar stories about them.  I tried the 4.1's on my Blur and managed to dent those as well - I've already replaced the rear with an 819 and will do the front once I have some extra money.

Advertisement: