Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Magic Too Choo dust  (Read 3447 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Magic Too Choo dust
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »
If you could modify any trail or build a new trail what would you do?  Being realistic,   what if anything would you try to accomplish?  Not build a downhill course of course, unless there is someplace around here where that could be done.  For example, at Alafia on the main trail around Shelley's Loop area, there are those tree roots as you curve around the big oak tree, that time and trail usage have exposed, I would build a nice little smooth earthen elevation change over the top of those kill joys. At Boyette on the connector road between North and South Abyss, there is a slight downhill to that road and it would be a nice spot to dump 4 -6 piles of dirt along the side of the road and make a whoops section. You could carry good speed and it would create something out of nothing. So if you had some magic dust to spread around and make some changes what would you do? Not that  any of this would happen,  and don't any of you foos try anything without permission or you will forever be banished to the land of far away trails (like Pinellas county)  :P  ;D ,  but if some good ideas surface, maybe it might become reality. Click your heels together three times and wish real hard.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Magic Too Choo dust
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:03:17 AM »
I would like to run the middle rabbit ear higher up the walls and build a little rock bridge across the wet area with some drainage through it.  That is a short project too, knock it out in a couple hours with a couple people.

I really like the rock ledge that was built on northcreek and the big rock pile on rollercoaster.  I think some more of those would be great around the park on some strategic sections, they would be a quick feature adder.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
I like the idea of these little added features (i.e. the new rock piles on rock garden, the log over on North Creek) sprinkled throughout the trails...just as long as we don't go crazy with them and potentially ruin some flow.  Most of my other 'wish list' stuff would really just be reversing some erosion in various areas - the climb up to the high line ridge on Moonscape as well as the descent to the low line in the same area - also I'd love to do something with the climb on Gatorback with the bridge around the tree though I'm not sure what should be done there.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »
The connector road/trail from North to South Abyss, instead of running down the road I'd build a contour trail that follows that hillside on the left, one with big wide sweeps up and down that hillside. I think that would be super cool. Fixing the middle ear at Alafia would be nice. That first little section on Shelley's is starting to get a little hairy, I agree.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
Does this involves "working" on it or it will just appear?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:30:44 AM »

We're just going to sprinkle some magic toochoo dust and it will grow over night.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »

We're just going to sprinkle some magic toochoo dust and it will grow over night.

in that case, bring in about 4 dump trucks of this magic dust in, and build about a 3,000 foot tall, 10,000 acre mountain bikers paradise, complete with ski lifts or ascending MTB trails up to the top where there would be hundreds of trails, all linked, and criss crossing, down, giving you a continuous loop up down and around this "mountain".. :D

(if we are going to dream, I dream "big". :D )
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:26:03 PM »
The connector road/trail from North to South Abyss, instead of running down the road I'd build a contour trail that follows that hillside on the left, one with big wide sweeps up and down that hillside. I think that would be super cool.

Interestingly enough that exact route has been looked at and discussed.  But it has taken going on two years to build three out of six approved trails already.  That would make seven.  Last workday was 29 people!  Wow, if we could have that each workday some wishes would be happening.

Some wishes happen when they are wanted badly enough.  ;-)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »
I could enjoy riding that trail SFG. I know exactly what you're imagining going along the side of that trail there. Try to keep it  so speed is maintained.  You bomb down the trail as it slants down to the right, hit a jump , then you're right back up on top of the road, building more speed for the next one.  On the left side of the road, the off road trails could feature dead trees and rock obstacles that our diverse biking community enjoys so much.  ;D  Every type of rider has something. Every rider is happy! With a big smile on their face! ! !  The C riders go straight and stay on the main trail, doing whatever the heck they do. I dunno, looking at cloud formations, bird watching,  checking their gear, I don't know. Whatever that whole scene is about.  Has anyone ever looked back to see just what the heck the C group is doing?  What the heck is going on back there? ( just  kidding, just  kidding)     ;D  I'm working my way back to becoming a C rider, so cut me some slack here. You can all get me back when you see me pushing my bike up the climb out of Loch Ness.  Anyways, the speed demons and flyboys go to the right and catch some air and thrills, the articulating obstacle riders go to the left and hone their skills on challenging obstacles. A little something for everybody.  Everybody meets at the bridge and the group rides continues. And to name that trail we could call it Gator Gator Gator!  :o   

oops, did I just write that?  A little humor for anyone who may have a noticed an over abundance of the word Gator in trail names.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:47:33 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:16:31 PM »
Anyways, the speed demons and flyboys go to the right and catch some air and thrills, the articulating obstacle riders go to the left and hone their skills on challenging obstacles. A little something for everybody.  Everybody meets at the bridge and the group rides continues. And to name that trail we could call it Gator Gator Gator!  :o
  ...and the C riders go straight down the main trail...

That would make a funny cool video - all three styles doing their thing only to calmly blend and join together at the bridge yucking it up as if nothing out of the ordinary just happened.  hahaha

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »
Mr Bean style humor, or maybe some old Pink Panther.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:57:07 PM »
If there is enough dust left over, can we put a climate controlled dome over rollercoaster and moonscape with a small irrigation system to keep the trail packed but not muddy?  How about a beer stand constructed of rocks and logs at the end of gatorback?  Oh and don't forget the VIP parking area for full suspension geared bike riders.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »
If there is enough dust left over, can we put a climate controlled dome over rollercoaster and moonscape with a small irrigation system to keep the trail packed but not muddy?  How about a beer stand constructed of rocks and logs at the end of gatorback?  Oh and don't forget the VIP parking area for full suspension geared bike riders.

maybe a starbucks?

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »
Well Guys
    So far you have seen what a little Magic Dust can do at Alafia lately with the help of a few people. There is a lot more coming, just need a little more M Dust and a few more people. There will be more little rocky sections popping up here and there, I'm even looking at adding an obsticle where you ride thru the middle of a tree that has split in half that will probably be the entrance to an optional technical section that will be full of rockgardens and log crossings. If we get enough M Dust and people we can start fixing some stuff on Moonscape along with adding a section thats been waiting for about 3 or 4 years, the M Dust isn't working there. Things don't happen quick enough waiting for the Magic Dust to work so it may take a while before it ever happens.
     Anyone have any ideas how to make this M Dust work faster.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
Anyone have any ideas how to make this M Dust work faster.

Magic dust is kept in volunteers pockets and Camelbacks as they attend to the trails. 

Since it takes quite a bit to make trail fantasies happen, just a few volunteers cannot possible carry enough magic dust with them to bring the trails to their full potential.  Therefore many, many volunteers, (who are the keepers of the magic dust), must attend the work parties to spread the magic dust about. 

Kind of like a bee pollinating flowers to keep the plants thriving, trail volunteers dust the workdays with MD time to keep the trails thriving. 

Are you a pollinator or a trail eater??

Advertisement: