Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bottom Bracket care and feeding  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Bottom Bracket care and feeding
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »
I have a bottom bracket on my spare bike with crunchy bearings.  What do you guys do in this situation?  I keep hearing I need to replace it, but that just seems so wasteful.  Is there a way to re-grease the bearings or do I need to buy a bottom bracket once a year :( 

Can I maintain the BB on my 29er to prevent sand from getting into the bearings?  I keep the chain clean and lubed, but with the wet sand we get during the rainy season, chains and BB's take a beating. 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Bottom Bracket care and feeding
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
what kind of BB is it? Alot of newer BB use sealed bearings that aren't serviceable.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:08:43 AM »
the BB in question is a cheap-o truvativ square taper from my $300 Iron Horse.  It just tears me up to think that replacing the BB is just normal maintenance.  Is there a BB that has serviceable or replacable bearings?  I don't mind spending more now to save later.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »
I'm gonna guess that it is similar to the shimano ISIS BB. I'm not sure if they make one that is serviceable or not, maybe one of the bike shop guys will chime in and help you out.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
When mine go i just replace them. There like 25 bucks or so from a local bike shop around here for the cheap shimano ones. I dont see how they would be serviceable everything is sealed.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
as a kid,we used to pop one side off of NMB skateboard bearings so we could clean and service them, but I think anything other than a sealed bearing would get packed with sand in 1 ride.  I agree with the anti-throwaway mentality, please post up if you do find a viable alternative to replacing the bb bearings.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:38:56 PM »
the BB in question is a cheap-o truvativ square taper from my $300 Iron Horse.  It just tears me up to think that replacing the BB is just normal maintenance.  Is there a BB that has serviceable or replacable bearings?  I don't mind spending more now to save later.
Pull it out and clean it. Get the tools you need since you will be using these tools in the future. You mentioned it is "cheap-o", why not learn from it and disassemble it.

MoriSSon

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »
I've already got the tools to pull it out (its already out).  I think I'm going to experiment on this one because either way its shot  ;D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »
I've already got the tools to pull it out (its already out).  I think I'm going to experiment on this one because either way its shot  ;D
thar ya go

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »
When mine go i just replace them. There like 25 bucks or so from a local bike shop around here for the cheap shimano ones. I dont see how they would be serviceable everything is sealed.

Besides, it costs more to service them than it does to replace.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »
All you can do with an old square taper and most other bb's is throw them away. The worst thing you can do to a bb or your bike is ride your bike on the trails when they are wet. If its really wet you can ruin a bb in only a couple rides. Whats even worse? It ruins the trails by causing ruts on the climbs and all the drops.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 08:10:31 AM »
its not like we're riding the trails when they are muddy or underwater.  We ride early in the morning to beat the heat, so you'll find any trail wet any time of the year at 7-8am. 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »
its not like we're riding the trails when they are muddy or underwater.  We ride early in the morning to beat the heat, so you'll find any trail wet any time of the year at 7-8am. 

Some trails are seasonal trails just for that reason.  Riders are encouraged to hit other trails during the rainy season; not just here, but in most all states.  Certain terrain handles riders in any weather conditions.  Florida doesn't often share that luxury.  So, we ride a good trail a few times or in opposite directions if it's a two-way trail.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
I'm curious to see if the ISIS is, in any way, serviceable.  I've always been told it isn't but that is usually coming from someone who wants you to drop $100 on a pretty new lightweight ISIS BB.  Dave...I also have my old RaceFace BB that is completely toast (shaft play).  I think it is beyond saving so I wouldn't mind donating it to science for some reverse engineering. 

This is why my next crankset will utilize a bottom bracket with outboard bearings.  You can service those bearings for next to nothing (pop the seals, flush out the old grease/grime, then repack with bearing grease). 

Advertisement: