Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Alafia Maintenance Props and Concerns  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
Alafia Maintenance Props and Concerns
« on: July 25, 2008, 09:27:17 PM »
First I would like to say that everything the has been added to North Creek has made an already great trail a phenomenal trail!!!  Huge thanks to all who contributed, and to Art who (obviously) spearheaded it!

I do; however, have a concern that I would like to discuss as well.  Frequently, especially during the summer rains, we fill in dirt where it has been washed out and made features more treacherous than the character and rating of the rest of the trail.  However, recently someone (and I have a hard time believing it was Art, or with Art's blessing) has taken it upon thenselves to fill in and completely cover a large majority of the obstacles on the main loop of Rollercoaster.  These are not features that have come into existence from rain erosion, but rather roots and small ledges that have given the trail much of its technical challenge for years, and have been there for years (at least as long as I have been riding there).

Now I know mother nature will eventually claim the dirt back after many months, but why was this done in the first place?  Why take away the technical challenges from a black diamond trail - technical challenges that had not become more treacherous from erosion, and were not out of character with the black diamond rating or the rest of the trail?

I hope that this wasn't done by people just trying to make the trail easier for them because they can't do it the way it has been for a long time, and would rather make it easier than put forth the effort, or simply ride something more suited to their riding interests and style (we have plenty of intermediate trails in the area).  But, I can't see it being something other than this.  Again, this just really doesn't seem like work that Art does, especially since in some places piles of dirt were just thrown on, and loosely packed - not the mark of Art at all!

Well enough time on the soap box - just really put a damper on what should have been a good ride the other day.  I hope I'm not the only one who finds this concerning.....
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Alafia Maintenance Props and Concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:06:57 PM »
Blame those evil trail smoothing gremlins...be glad they weren't industrious enough to cut out the roots.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:04:35 AM »
 ::) ::)

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:39:55 AM »
Hey Bear,
  I think the dirt thrown on rollercoaster is just to cover or the roots will start getting all the way out of the dirt and end up getting cut out.  Also, a couple spots the dirt got so dry before the rains that rocks just fell out of the trail with only sand to hold 'em in place.  It will all wash away again and the roots will be exposed.  I will be out there today and or tomorrow.  Hopefully this is what you are talking about, if someone has been doing something else out there, I will be ranting on here tonight!!!  LMAO.  See everyone there next weekend for the workday.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 07:52:53 AM »
No Ranting Eric but you are exactly Right, I can't believe I'm saying that, He He. I did spend 5 hours out there on Thursday fixing a couple things since I had a little time. People don't usually see something right after it has just been fixed or worked on, they usually see it after it's been there for a little while and it's  been ridden in.. Don't worry it will be back to normal in no time.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:06:07 AM »
I know sometimes I get used to riding my FS bike and everything seems nice and smooth, no problems. Then I go out there on my SS and drop something and it's like "HOLY CRAP!!" Art wants all the tough stuff just like some of us do, but still has to work within the guidelines set forth by the park. Better to cover a root than cut a root IMO. :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:13:39 AM »
Hey J you are still a smart guy. Good answer

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »
  I went out today and rode everything but the greens, everything looked great.  There was a ton of work done I agree, but all at places that either needed or were close to needing new dirt.  Give it a couple rains and countless riders hitting it weekly and it will be ridden in just like the original.  Everything was prime out there today.  I hit northcreek last and saw a lot of new dirt, it will rain off alot in just a few weeks.  The jump wasn't too different.  All in all, nice job Art, thanks. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 01:50:13 PM »
I rode it all today as well and don't see where the problem is/was. I thought it was about as perfect as it gets in a FL summer.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
Alafia was in great shape today.  Definitely a big thanks to everyone who volunteers and helps maintain/add new sections.  I'd like to make it out there and help, but unfortunately I work every Saturday.  :(  That may change soon and then I plan on being there for some workdays.

Gotta say thanks to SFG for making me go back and ride that section that gave me trouble last week and the first time I tried it today.

Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:52:25 AM »
Everything is riding well, just some crying from the peanut gallery..

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:02 AM »
Look forward to seeing all the changes. If Art isn't kept in check on some of these trail changes, he can get pretty silly  with his ideas.  ;D   ;D   ;D  Months off from riding and am going to begin the riding again and soon the trail maintenance will resume.  Maybe even some new trail building. I would like to get working on the new reservoir land section. This could be the  area for the long flowing cross country trails,  tied into Boyette one day with connector trails, epic rides may be attainable.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »
Look forward to seeing all the changes. If Art isn't kept in check on some of these trail changes, he can get pretty silly  with his ideas.  ;D   ;D   ;D  Months off from riding and am going to begin the riding again and soon the trail maintenance will resume.  Maybe even some new trail building. I would like to get working on the new reservoir land section. This could be the  area for the long flowing cross country trails,  tied into Boyette one day with connector trails, epic rides may be attainable.

I thought the land acquire deal fell through there?  So the option of connecting reverted back to once a year for the FTF.

moleminiman

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »
Alafia is my favorite park in the local area.  first off, I appreciate all the work everyone puts into these trails.  I wish I could put more time in myself.  I have however noticed that trails keep getting easier, in particular roller coaster has transformed from a black diamond trail to a blue trail.  North Creek is one of my favorite trails out there and I feel the difficulty is much harder than Roller Coaster.  North Creek is still a blue trail and should stay that way.  In my opinion Roller Coaster needs some more black diamond features.  1. I miss the old drop on the first hard option 2. miss the branch that used to hang by the planks 3. miss the really difficult rooty uphill climb after the first hard option 4. old tree you used to have to hop with no bypass 5. the big ass rock you had to wedge between after you come out of the main section and head on your way out to moonscape.  Keep in mind I hope this is not taken the wrong way, This is just constructive criticism. 

Forrest

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »
In some things mother nature takes it's toll, 4 inches of rain does a tremendous amount of damage. In other ways new riders or some others get out there and if a rock is goofing them up on a climb they feel the need to remove the rock, root, or whatever. All that can be done is accept the changes sometimes. Other times we can repair, or re-route if the trail is deemed unmaintainable. We've done some cool stuff on North Creek and I know Art has some more planned for it and Rollercoaster. If you haven't rode out there in a few months go check it out!

Advertisement: