Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail needs help  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Trail needs help
« on: July 27, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »
If any of you have the free time available Boyette can use some trimming.

We have reached an agreement with the county about access, so additional workdays per month will be available again soon.

Meanwhile, if any of you would like to help out and have a bike and can strap some hedge shears or loppers to your Camelback, then West Meadow; Golf Cart; and Woods Trail need some TLC.  The overgrowth  is in need of control.  Bike to those points, trim what you have time for and let me know how much time you spent on what trail - you get to ride and help the trail system too - what could be easier?  Do it on any day that works for you. Also please remember to toss all trimmings well off the trail.

Thanks,
Garry

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: Trail needs help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:26:25 AM »
This is a lonely topic.   Buehler ?  Buehler ?  Anybody?? I wonder what the record is for a post that had no response. How many days? I used to think that I would post a comment on a subject and then it would die. Like I was the death of a topic. I knew it wasn't because everyone thought I was the definitive word so it must have been the opposite, killjoy, party pooper. Scourge of conversationalism. Anyways, I think I'll get out and do some trimming. Rode there on Saturday and some sections felt like I had to be worried  about being attacked by a tiger of something, the growth was so thick and choking the trails.  I'm thinking machete' though as my weapon of choice.  If I can get home from work one day early this week, I'll do it.  Get home early, still have energy left, weather has  to co-operate, no family needs pressuring me. A convergence of circumstances orchestrated by the trail gods and it is a done deal. Credit my account for 2 hours please. I'll only probably be out there for 1 hour but I feel that I do the work of at least 2 guys.   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »
This is a lonely topic, and I feel that just about each time I bring it up.  But I still keep plugging away trying to locate some helpful souls out there who would be willing to offer even an hour or two of their free time each month to go out there and trim a little.  Doesn't matter what day, just do it. More if available.

I have just spent the last four months working on a deal to gain vehicle access to the property so that tools and volunteers can get to problem areas easily.  It was just awarded back to us this week.  Yes!  Progress.

We are in the growing season and I saw this coming - not enough time in a 3 hour workday once a month to keep vegetation under control, erosion monitored and repaired, dead fall cleaned up, and new trails picked away at until ready to open.  Boyette and Croom are different animals than Alafia and Morris Bridge whereas Morris Bridge and Alafia have rangers on duty and paid and volunteer staff to access the trails for maintenance and building.  Boyette has only the very occasional usage of the counties bush hog on the two-track.  Everything else out there is done by a small dedicated group of volunteers - that's it.  So yeah, I'm here trying to make folks feel guilty.  There, I said it. 

Trail maintenance of the trails we all use and enjoy don't happen by the flick of a magic wand. It takes hard work, desire, and a willingness to take at least one hour and help make it what it is.  30 people do that?  30 hours of trimming.  Imagine how much work can get done in 30 hours.

Off my soap box.   Enjoy the trails all.   ;D

G

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:06:56 AM by Garry »

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
I've got a belly full of Hardee's steak sandwhich that I have to burn off, so I'm heading out to  Golf Cart with a machete to hack the hell out of some vegetative growth. Who's wit me? Anyone riding out there today,bring me a water bottle. 4:30 - 6:30
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:36:28 PM »
I plan on going out there thursday afternoon since I will only be working half a day. I will be swinging the machete like a jungle guide! 

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:21:08 PM »
I plan on going out there thursday afternoon since I will only be working half a day. I will be swinging the machete like a jungle guide! 

Thanks Darrin - you're awesome man!!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:23:04 PM »
I've got a belly full of Hardee's steak sandwhich that I have to burn off, so I'm heading out to  Golf Cart with a machete to hack the hell out of some vegetative growth. Who's wit me? Anyone riding out there today,bring me a water bottle. 4:30 - 6:30

Ells, you da man!  Any others gonna get some veggie killing in their blood?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:01 PM »

That will take more than 2 hours to burn off!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »
2.5 hours from when I left the parking lot till when I returned. About 1/2 hour of rain kept things cool as I had to ration the water. Perfect for trail work. Soaking wet, but the temps were down and made it bearable. The weekend crew did a pretty good job as things were pretty good for everywhere that I hit. Started off on the SST and it only needed very minor trimming for a couple of branches crowding the singletrack. Rode back to Lochness and went threw trimming anything that was hanging or crowding the trail. I wanted to trim back the high stuff to eliminate some of the spiders for the early morning riders. I trimmed back sections of high weeds crowding the trail from Lochness to Upper Lochness to Randys Trail to Golf Cart to North and South Abyss. I did not do the final section of the very difficult trail at South Abyss but went over to Spider Berm and then that was it. I removed the low tree across North Abyss and trimmed back the oaks on the road between the two Abysses. All the heavy trimming was done already, but there was plenty to kill and hack and mame.   The Hardee's carried me through for energy but could have used some water. Only a few racers out there riding. Scott, Dave D., Bill, Chisel and Mike B. Trails look good. Post up what you do Darren as I might try to get back for some more this week.
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: