Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tubes or no tubes??  (Read 13618 times)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
Tubes or no tubes??
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
I will be getting some new rims soon and have the option of running tubes or going tubeless. My question is it there much advantage without tubes? Can I use my current tires on them? What about flats are they less or more common with tubeless? Any input would be appreciated.
Signed clueless about tubeless!
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Tubes or no tubes??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
You can typically run at a lower tire pressure when you do not have tubes, potentially improving ride and grip. There is the potential for weight savings, and rotating weight is a big deal.

You may be able to use your current tires, what kind are they?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:30:18 AM »
I had a ton less flats with stans no-tubes - but when you do flat out on the trail and have to put tubes in - it is a mess - luckily that hardly ever happens

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:57:58 AM »
I run true UST, and the only time I add stan's is if I get a pinhole in the tire. Doesn't happen very often, most of the time if I have a problem the stan's wouldn't have helped it anyway.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:00:46 PM »
I run true UST, and the only time I add stan's is if I get a pinhole in the tire. Doesn't happen very often, most of the time if I have a problem the stan's wouldn't have helped it anyway.

when I had 819 rims running UST, I had the least problems of all - a true UST setup probably is the best (throw a little stans in for pin holes) and you are bullet proof. 

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »
Ditto what SFG said...unless you are really concerned about some extra weight and are willing to take on the extra issues associated with the ghetto setup, go with a true UST setup.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »
No tubes is definently the way to go.  Lower pressure and less flats for sure, weight depends on your set up.  Although others have spoken against using standard tires (non ust), I and many others have had great luck.  A ust tire is sealed and has a bead that is more heavy duty, which will be easier to get inflated, sealed and is less likely to blow off the rim in intense aplication.  The penalty is extra wieght and the expense of new tires.  Stans has a list on their site of tire brands that work beter than others.  If you have one of these types you enjoy riding in your quiver, it is worth a try.  Your first try at this will be messy, and time consuming... watch the video on the stans site and follow exactly, it will work.  Then test ride in the neighborhood,  when the tires will hold air over night try them on the trail and take 2 tubes.  If you are a fairly light rider (180 or less) and are tend to keep the bike on the ground most of the time you should be just fine.  Clydes and huckers go directly to ust.  Somewhere in the middle are "tubeless ready" tires that have heavy duty beads yet still require sealant = light and no blowouts.  Take a look at specialized "The Captain tubliss" as a good example that works quite well I hear.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 03:24:07 PM »
The rims are UST rims also. My current tires are the Specialized that came with my Stumpy FSR. I believe they are the resolution. I only weigh about 185 so the weight reallys isnt an issue. My only concern is on endurance rides and any other long distance rides and no flat protection (ie tubes to replace) or should i just get the UST tires and forget about it.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »
The rims are UST rims also. My current tires are the Specialized that came with my Stumpy FSR. I believe they are the resolution. I only weigh about 185 so the weight reallys isnt an issue. My only concern is on endurance rides and any other long distance rides and no flat protection (ie tubes to replace) or should i just get the UST tires and forget about it.

If you are not racing, get the USTs put a little stans in them for pin holes and feel safe that you are going to make it back

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Get a pint of Stans and go for it!  You will also need valve stems, if you don't all ready have them, get the kind with the removable core to help in the inflation process.  The key is to shake them and lay them flat as shown in the video about every 10 to 30 min untill they seal.  Try evey other comercial brake alternating sides for several hours.  Again, this will be messy untill you get good at it.  Since you have UST rims and valestems, skip the rimstrips step as you should not need them.

http://www.notubes.com/support_movies.php 

Worst case cenerio, your out a couple scoops of stans sealand that you will probably use for extra protection if you buy ust tires.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:21:58 PM »
weight isn't the only issue, how aggressive you ride and how often you leave the ground play a part in it also. I experimented and paid the price a few years ago seperated shoulder FTL! A good friend of mine tried the stans strips trick out at Moab this spring, rolled the tire right off the rim on the slickrock trail a few times. To me it is totally not worth it. If you are one of those weight weenie XC types then it may work for you. Just be aware of the possible consequences.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
Not really a weight weenie as I ride fairly agressive, some jumps but nothing major. Do ride majority of black diamond trails. I am just thinking of the benefits of having a tubeless over tube setup.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »
The benefits of the tubeless setup are great - lower rolling resistance from not having a tube, lower tire pressure which leads to more traction and a more compliant ride, and a virtual elimination of pinch flats.  I'm in the process of relacing the hubs of my big bike on to Mavic's 823 UST rim..can't wait to get rid of my tubes.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:01 PM »
The reason that you have lower rolling resistance is that you don't have the mass of the tube.

Bill and SFG are right, that weight is not the only issue, but reduced rolling weight really helps. If you have a ust ready rim, then your risk is minimal in terms of the tire getting pulled off of the rim with or without a ust tire. You would have to be a really agressive tire to be at any risk.

You can keep a tube with you anyway, if for some reason the tire doesn't seal back up.

Now with that said, I have had more flats since I switched to tubeless. Only once could I not get it sealed enought to keep riding.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »

Now with that said, I have had more flats since I switched to tubeless. Only once could I not get it sealed enought to keep riding.

that is with stan's no tubes system with a non ust rim and a non ust tire - a ust setup is heavier but way more less likely to have issues than stans

Advertisement: