Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: juicy 5 brakes  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Find Shelter Roadies

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • E = EFFORT / EFFORT = RESULTS!
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
juicy 5 brakes
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »
Ok So I am finally going to break down and get into upgraded random stuff on my bike. However I have never touched bikes before but prefer to do things myself and have to start somewhere!! As a known problem (from ive read) the juicy 5 polygon rotor is complete junk, I got the vibration / squeeling etcetc pretty much since I bought the bike new in 06. Just the noise an vibration has been off an on...
So anyone have any suggestions for new rotor? I was thinking of going with the juicy 7 rotor (avid g2)my budy has that on his SJ and its been working out great for him... Also pads.. any suggestions? I have seen a pretty solid review on the EBC pads I would guess run the greens? LIke I said im new to this whole upgrade deal but would be fun and let me appriciate my bike more if I did it myself. 1 more thing...I have torn my bike down in the past but never touched the brakes. This leading to my last question. How exactly can I get the pads out Their is the clip on the top which I have removed but the what looks like a clip the pads set inside im not sure how that comes out and I don't want to start prying on things and breaking something AND I cannot find anything on removing pads which is no suprise because im sure its about the dumbest question, No shame in this game though! laugh if you must because I am!  ;D
Thanks for the read!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: juicy 5 brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:56:49 PM »
I have the Juicy 7's and experience similar problems to yours. Mostly a high pitch squealing noise that makes me want to ride off a cliff. It also makes my riding partners want to push me into a tree. I've started sanding them and cleaning w/ alcohol and it seems to have helped. I've tried several differnt pads but that has not helped so far. Mine are an 06 btw.  Good luck.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »
I have the Juicy 7's and experience similar problems to yours. Mostly a high pitch squealing noise that makes me want to ride off a cliff. It also makes my riding partners want to push me into a tree. I've started sanding them and cleaning w/ alcohol and it seems to have helped. I've tried several differnt pads but that has not helped so far. Mine are an 06 btw.  Good luck.
I Clean the rotors with alcohol but I still get the vibrations on occassion , as for the pads That was more along the lines for just a replacement pad They have been on my bike since new and look like they could use a replacing. just curious what has worked for you guys in the conditions we ride in.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
It took a lot of trial and error to get it where it was tolerable. I was about to get new brakes when I found that the sand/clean method worked.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:07:16 PM »
It took a lot of trial and error to get it where it was tolerable. I was about to get new brakes when I found that the sand/clean method worked.
I have not tryed the sanding bit But will give it a shot until I do get a new setup.
Thanks for the suggestions I really do appriciate it!

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »
I had polygons on 06 juicy 7s and eventually switched to the clean sweap rotors after they started rubing and creaking at times.  If you are switching rotors it's a good time to look into going up a size in the front which will require a different mountion bracket for the caliper at a minmal cost.  If you ride some technical trail and have any body weight at all you will like the larger rotor up front.  I made that change on my 7's and run the same set up on my Ultimates on the new bike (with clean sweap rotors 185 front, 160 rear).  In addition to better modulation, more power and elimination of almost all noise, the rotors stay true and don't rub any more.  That said, having an experienced mechanic set everything up is as important as the components. 

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
I had polygons on 06 juicy 7s and eventually switched to the clean sweap rotors after they started rubing and creaking at times.  If you are switching rotors it's a good time to look into going up a size in the front which will require a different mountion bracket for the caliper at a minmal cost.  If you ride some technical trail and have any body weight at all you will like the larger rotor up front.  I made that change on my 7's and run the same set up on my Ultimates on the new bike (with clean sweap rotors 185 front, 160 rear).  In addition to better modulation, more power and elimination of almost all noise, the rotors stay true and don't rub any more.  That said, having an experienced mechanic set everything up is as important as the components. 
My stock setup is 185/160 , So It should just bolt right up correct? I have a large frame an from what I see in the specs it says L/XL has 180 (although my rotors read 185?) and S/M have 160mm. As for an experienced mechanic I agree I don't have problems taking my bike in for stuff, but brakes.., I think thats something I should Learn as a basic mechanical skill and of course if all else fails to the shop it goes. And I would really like to know my bike

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »
Sounds like you already have a larger front rotor, which is great.  Good installation of brakes can involve facing of the caliper mounts on the fork, shims, cursing exc.  It's not just a bolt on item in most cases.  I too enjoy learning the ins and outs of the bike but this item is worth a little help.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
One possible solution with the squeel is to change the pads to an organic brake pad - either a set or mix and match. as for changing the pads a new set of pads should come the instructions on pulling the existing pads.  last ditch you can check the website for Avid brakes.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
One possible solution with the squeel is to change the pads to an organic brake pad - either a set or mix and match. as for changing the pads a new set of pads should come the instructions on pulling the existing pads.  last ditch you can check the website for Avid brakes.

the organic pads are way better - I like the new style rotors as well.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »
Ya I am probably going to look into those organic pads, I hear they wear faster but of course if they work better I would much rather have that... and to mix and match you can just swap out the 1 when it wears and still leave the other pad in correct..?

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »
I had that problem with the Juicy 5 on my SJ.  I loosened the caliper bolts and while squeezing the brake lever, tightened the caliper bolts.  You might have to spread the pads before.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
yeah, you can leave one original pad and one organic or put both organic in.  They do where faster, but if your all about the noise reduction that will help.  So will roughing up the rotor slightly with a light grit sandpaper.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
from the techs at SRAM - the organics are better for heavier riders as well.  You get less "chatter" that some of us heavier guys get from time to time

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 04:23:30 PM »
from the techs at SRAM - the organics are better for heavier riders as well.

What? who you calling fat?

Advertisement: