Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Pedal Recommendation  (Read 3184 times)

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
Pedal Recommendation
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
I have just had meniscus surgery and am looking to replace the pedals I have.  I was given a deal on some old Time pedals and am ready to try something new.  While I am sure it is a maintenance issue, the Time pedals are hard to unclip from and I am concerned about any excessive pressure/torque on my knee right now.  Also, looking for something that has some reasonable float. 

Thanks for any advice,
Eric
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Pedal Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
You can shave the Time cleat to make it easier (i.e. requiring less of an angle) to release.  I don't think any real, durable pedal (i.e. anything made by anyone other than Crank Brothers) that has as much float as Time's pedals do.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »
Before you abandon your Times, check if they have a tension adjustment.  Some of the newer ATAC models do.  Also know that depending what cleat is on what shoe makes a difference on disenguagement angle.  If you are already on the easy exit angle of the cleat and they have no adjustment, look into SPD's. These can be set to a very light entry exit tension and gradually tighten as you heal.  The SPD will not shead mud as well but the cleat is small and easy to walk on like your times.  Our group has a lot of Time fans, I would bet someone would trade you a set of SPD for your current set.

Anthem1

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »
Try the Shimano SPD's, as stated by chainslap the release tension is adjustable, they have a large degree of float and are very durable. The only knock I have on them is they don't handle clay very well. Don't dab and that won't be an issue :)

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:58 PM »
The Time pedals I have now look like they do have an adjustment (allen screw on the side) but the allen screw has been stripped out.  Not sure I did it or I got them that way (used).  That is the pedal I am having the most difficulty with.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:53:20 PM »
I just got a new set of the time alium's and love them. $45 at jenson here

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PE610A04-Time+Atac+Alium+Pedals.aspx

great float, I do not unclip for no reason, and unclipping is easy. I had SPD's and Speedplay frogs that were both crappy. the frogs always came unclipped, and the spd's never would... The cleats can be put on for easy or harder unclipping I believe.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 07:47:10 PM »
The Time cleat can be set for either a 20 or 15 degree release angle depending on which foot you put the cleat on - furthermore, you can grind down the cleat more to decrease the release angle if you want.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline c-dalerider

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • wishing I could ride more!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:13:57 PM »
I am really disguted with my spd's.  I don't know if it is me or not, but I just can't get unclipped.  I have the tension all the way out and I just can't get the hang of it.  I fall all the time for stupid stuff..and it is getting worse not better.

I am considering moving to a different brand so I appreciate this thread...

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »
I am really disguted with my spd's.  I don't know if it is me or not, but I just can't get unclipped.  I have the tension all the way out and I just can't get the hang of it.  I fall all the time for stupid stuff..and it is getting worse not better.

I am considering moving to a different brand so I appreciate this thread...

you don't ride an F7 hardtail do ya?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »
i hate SPDs more than any other pedals I have used - my favs are Time by a long shot

Offline c-dalerider

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »

It is actually f-5 dark green frankenstein lookin bike...why did you see me wipe out? ;D

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »

It is actually f-5 dark green frankenstein lookin bike...why did you see me wipe out? ;D

nah, was talking to a guy a few weeks ago on a F7 with SPD's that was having a hard time with them, thought it might be you. He went swimming on North Creek, the new section.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline c-dalerider

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »
 :D

yeah, not me. Although I did go "swimming" last week in gator bait when my kid wiped out in front of me in the mud though...I couldn't get unclipped in time and splash...I think I was more embarrassed than made though... :-[

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »
Lets not beat this one to death as it has been disgused in other threads.  I ride time atacs and have also ridden SPD for several years.  I prefer time but for someone trying to relieve stress on the knee when clipping out, the SPD pedal set at low tension is by far the easiest way in and out.  Keep in mind that any pedal type is going to require some technique, muscle memory and a bit of planning to stay off the ground. I fell countless times and still do on occasion.  Keeping the cleats properly aligned and clean will ease the process for all brands.  Some tread patterns on the shoe sole can obstruct the connection as well.  An easy check it to clip in and take your feet out of the shoes, and watch from below as you pull the shoe off by hand.  Look for the tread hitting the pedal and make sure the cleat is not loose on the bolts.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »
If it was me I'd run a set of flats until my knee healed, I'd be more worried about inflaming it if something happened.

Advertisement: