Author Topic: North Creek - Trail Review and first impressions  (Read 6743 times)

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Prophet, Blue
North Creek - Trail Review and first impressions
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:09:54 PM »
This is from Dave D.

sunday's ride

We started out with nine good riders in our group. Leaving the pavillion area we followed the faster group in front of ours, excited to ride the new trail the whole way. As we headed along to the entryway, I saw that the entrance of the trail was to our right and not straight ahead. so we turned in. I was unable to make it to the last workday to help complete this part of the new trail and I figured that is probably when it was worked on. Well my pondering did not last long, as I was faced with several back to back challenges to contend with - a roll over, a sharp turn, a brief climb, a sequence of ups and downs - goodness - they really threw in some good and challenging sections to the beginning of this unique trail. Boy was I happy. It was great to ride a new and exciting trail, right here at home - it was right here! cool!

You seem to get about 2/5th's of the way in and realize that you are really working. The loss of breath overcomes the "what's around the next corner excitement" that is driving you to pedal pedal pedal. I felt it right about the section that one rider calls the scenic overlook with the white lines guiding the way. It is the section that is a steady climb up and then makes a U-turn to the right right at the top and then goes along the ridge. When we were "paving" this section during a workday, we joked about how it seemed like we should be putting down white and yellow lines just like the road crews do. During this workday I learned how to turn a nasty sandy unrideable section into a trail that is sustainable, rideable, safe and enjoyable with use gravel, dirt and asphalt. I really learn a lot and enjoy the workdays.

Of course at the top of that ridge you catch your breath as you ride it and off you go, through the rest of this exciting trail, anticipating the next drop, the next curve, the next climb.

As I'm riding, I find myself thinking, this is my favorite section, then I ride along a little more and find my self saying, no, this is my favorite section. Gee, it's the whole trail!

dave
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
Re: North Creek - Trail Review and first impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 10:46:02 PM »
I had posted this up on www.MTBR.com. And ive got to say i really enjoyed it, but it was way better the second time around.

I just road it today, its awsome. SWAMP YOUVE DONE IT AGAIN!!! !!!

The trail sums up every good thing that swamp has learned from their trail building efforts. Its got some pucker power hills going both UP and DOWN, even a long (by florida standards, which is like all of 50 yards) downhill at the beginning and some quick steep climbs throughout. Some minor drop ins between the size of the Bridges ones and the wee little ones at rock garden. Its got some minor rock gardens and little tree stubs. While it is fun, the trail has that new rough feeling and needs(in my opinion) and little work on the flow of the trail, several times i had rocketed around the corner and found that the trail ends and the hill down into the swamp begins (but fear not, i didnt test the water.)

All in all i give it a 8 out of 10, it would probably be a 9 if it wasnt so slick because of the rain.
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

Offline hygieneboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is soooooo dirty!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:12:55 AM »
This is my favorite trail of all time. It has a few technical sections, nice flowy areas where you get some decent speed, bridges, beautiful scenery, jumps and more. Check it out if you've never ridden it. You won't be disssapointed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hygieneboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »
 :o

Offline hygieneboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
All of these are North Creek

Offline JamesinIT

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disk 29er
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
I have ridden this trail twice, and while my friends wouldn't call me a novice, I feel like an intermediate idiot. I think this is a fantastic trail - it has challenges that I can't yet beat and sections that are fast and downright fun.

Things I like:
1) Coming down over the bridge to the sharp left hander

2) The "jump" where you aren't covered by the canopy (29er with both wheels off the ground woot!)

3) The scenery. It really is a beautiful ride.

Things I need to learn how to conquer:
1) I need to learn how to clean the roots at the beginning of the trail - these get me everytime

2) The "staircase of death" at the beginning. I am sure with confidence and a few clean runs down this (keeping to the right) my fears will subside and this will be just another long drop. Learning what "get your arse behind the seat" really means, helped me out a ton.

3) There is one section on the far side, two trees close together forming a V toward the middle of the trail and then dropping on the other side. I haven't been able to figure this out yet.

Things I am not a fan of:
1) The part where if you carry a little too much speed and make a mistake in the turn, you end up in the drink

2) The sound/sight of the gators below you on the narrow terraces

3) The unyet mastered "staircase of death"

My naming of the staircase drop at the beginning of the trail should not dissuade anyone from riding it, but if you are new to riding and go from riding Rock Garden and River Loop to riding North Creek...there is a bit of a learning curve involved.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »
The staircase of death is easy,, keep your butt way back behind the seat where you butt is almost touching the tire and watch your line.. the roots at the beginning just need momentum to carry, pedal fast and hard, even your pedals out at the top and push over at top...
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »
Find a rider that is better than you that you can follow through the areas you have trouble with. This usually helps out alot. Just make sure they will slow down a bit so you can keep up.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »
I've done lots of clean runs of the staircase but it still gets me sometimes. If I hit that first one even a little crooked I have a hard time correcting and tend to get bumped around and wobbly. I know more than anything I probably just need to carry more speed but I have a very stop and think personality that sometimes makes that difficult.

Offline JamesinIT

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips for the roots - I though I could just pop the front and roll the wheel at a much slower speed - which was a mistake.

On the staircase, I have watched several folks go down it, I just need to do it more. I am still working on getting my butt behind the seat, I guess it just takes time or crashing enough times to learn the hard way (as I did on the one on rollercoaster this weekend)...

Offline JamesinIT

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »
Well, I made it through the roots at the beginning (I got off and walked it just to see what I was looking at) - Just stay to the left, hop like I would any other roots and let the rear roll over whatever I don't clear.

I also made it past the V-roots with the drop. (29er can just roll over it now I know)

Took the first trip down the stairs, lost it on the 4th step (came off the bike to the left, I believe not enough speed). The next time I didn't want to have a bad ride so I just walked it. Next time...