Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 29er tire choice  (Read 4578 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
29er tire choice
« on: August 11, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
 what are you 29er dudes running for tires on the big wheels?  I am planning going stan's no tubes, so it needs to be something compatable.

thanks

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Re: 29er tire choice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
Depends on what you want to ride.  I run Rampages for what we consider all mountain.  Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are light, FAST, and EXPENSIVE!  Ignitors are good all around.  Those have all been successfully run with Stan's on Mavic C-29's.  There are plenty of other good tires, just depends on what you want to do with them.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »
Small block eight in the rear and Karma up front is popular also and work real well with Stans,Small block has fast roll and good grip 

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:49 AM »
I love the small block 8s.  Good hook up, fast rollers.  Shed mud surprisingly well from what I have experienced with them.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:37 AM »
I find the Small Block 8 to be terrible in the mud - lots of small, closely-spaced knobs on a relatively high-volume tire is pretty much the antithesis of a good mud tire - but pretty good everywhere else, especially on dry, hardpack trails.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »
Ignitor up front, Crossmark in the back.  Not yet sold on the Ignitor, deflects off obstacles and washes out in sand.  May need to let some air out.

Luis

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »
Ignitor up front, Crossmark in the back.  Not yet sold on the Ignitor, deflects off obstacles and washes out in sand.  May need to let some air out.

Rampage front / Crossmark rear for riding and racing ; Rampage front / Ignitor rear for fun rides in the mountains if the conditions warrant it.

I found the Ignitor's knobs to be too soft to be useful as a front tire.  It is pretty good as a rear tire when it's wet and muddy...

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:42:36 AM »
Only been using two tires
Maxxis Ignitor and WTB Exiwolf.

IMO Ignitor has less rolling resistance compare to Exiwolf but with the Exi I can run it between 18-20psi for added traction and comfort.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »
going to start off with small block 8s in the rear and panaracer rampage up front - both tubeless and see how that works out

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »
Rampage front / Crossmark rear for riding and racing ; Rampage front / Ignitor rear for fun rides in the mountains if the conditions warrant it.

I found the Ignitor's knobs to be too soft to be useful as a front tire.  It is pretty good as a rear tire when it's wet and muddy...
Luis,
What size?  2.0/2.1/2.3?

I am still on my Maxxis Ignitors that came with the bike.  I am using stans on Mavic C-29's.  I have tried the Kenda small block 8 (with tube) but took off when I slid out on a very loose sand turn.  Will try again with stans.   I also tried the Hutchinson Python Air Light (tubeless ready) but could not get it to seal with Stans.  I may have to let it soak the stans longer.  Very light tire with decent grip (at least on the 26er size).  I may even use it with a tube since as far as weight the python plus tube is = or close to ignitor tubeless.  BTW, on my UST rims, I can't get any of these tire to set on the bead without a quick burst of compress air with CO2.  Does everyone have this problem?

As I type, I have my bike apart and will go with Ignitor front and Crossmark on back for north GA riding.  I would like to find a less grippy tire for the front then the Ignitor so let me know how the Rampage works.  I think is like 70grams heavier but I don't think you are a weight wienie... lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:38:41 AM by SandPine »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 10:40:07 AM »

Luis,
What size?  2.0/2.1/2.3?

I am still on my Maxxis Ignitors that came with the bike.  I am using stans on Mavic C-29's.  I have tried the Kenda small block 8 (with tube) but took off when I slid out on a very loose sand turn.  Will try again with stans.   I also tried the Hutchinson Python Air Light (tubeless ready) but could not get it to seal with Stans.  I may have to let it soak the stans longer.  Very light tire with decent grip (at least on the 26er size).  I may even use it with a tube since as far as weight the python plus tube is = or close to ignitor tubeless.  BTW, on my UST rims, I can't get any of these tire to set on the bead without a quick burst of compress air with CO2.  Does everyone have this problem?

As I type, I have my bike apart and will go with Ignitor front and Crossmark on back for north GA riding.  I would like to find a less grippy tire for the front then the Ignitor so let me know how the Rampage works.  I think is like 70grams heavier but I don't think you are a weight wienie... lol

I am just riding for fun - I learned my lesson sacrificing stability and control for weight - if I want a lighter bike, I will continue to take weight off the motor for now

Luis

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »
I would like to find a less grippy tire for the front then the Ignitor so let me know hhow the Rampage works. 

Rampage 2.35 Crossmark 2.1 (are there any other options?)

Rampage offers a LOT more traction than the Ignitor...why would you want less traction up front?  

I run these at ~20psi on Stan's Arch rims

Edit- I don't have to compromise on tire weight when my bike weighs 20 lbs... ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:43:52 AM by Luis »

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
 ;D Well some of us have 100lbs on the main engine more then you.  Our non-custom bikes bearly break 25lbs benchmark so, we have to look at a pound here or a pound there.  But 2.35 tire?  Wow, that is wide!  I was made fun of for using 2.3 before.  Some on here called it my motocycle tires.  I'll try out a 2.1 Rampage to compare against my 2.1 Ignitor up front.  Ignitor (as less grip as you said) works great for me upfront, but is holding me back a bit in the rear.  Thanks.

edit:  Sorry late add... I did get the Crossmark based on your suggestion the last time and only time we rode together.  Great reviews so I hope it works for me too.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:56:19 AM by SandPine »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
I got the 2.1 Rampage btw - for up front

Luis

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
;D Well some of us have 100lbs on the main engine more then you.  Our non-custom bikes bearly break 25lbs benchmark so, we have to look at a pound here or a pound there.  But 2.35 tire?  Wow, that is wide!  I was made fun of for using 2.3 before.  Some on here called it my motocycle tires.  I'll try out a 2.1 Rampage to compare against my 2.1 Ignitor up front.  Ignitor (as less grip as you said) works great for me upfront, but is holding me back a bit in the rear.  Thanks.

edit:  Sorry late add... I did get the Crossmark based on your suggestion the last time and only time we rode together.  Great reviews so I hope it works for me too.

You can lose 2lbs instantly if you go rigid! (hence my need for a big front tire), you can definitely ride something lighter up front.  I would never run a Rampage on the rear, waaaay too much rolling resistance...

Crossmark is a great tire, very fast but better traction than the small block.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:07:14 AM by Luis »

Advertisement: