Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Shine some light ...  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Find Shelter Roadies

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • E = EFFORT / EFFORT = RESULTS!
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
Shine some light ...
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »
on this situation.
I see a night ride coming up on the 28th at flatwoods.
I am curious about the lighting systems.. says 10watts min.. Do you guys mainly use head mounted lights or handle bar lights  or both... im thinking head lamp more the fact you can see where your looking I guess thats a gimmie.... But as for watts. how do you know your getting a 10watt light system as ive noticed a lot dont have a Watt rating.. (I havnt looked at head mounted lights yet though) AND can you actually pick up a light system without dropping a couple hundred $. My buddy an I would like to go to the night rides but to be used a few times a year not sure its worth dropping a big chunk of change on...

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
Re: Shine some light ...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »
Let me make this a bit easier on you guys/girls.
If you ride at night what lights are you running....?

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
You want a helmet mounted light for you primary.  AJ's Bikes rents lights, so if you are not sure about riding at night, that is the cheapest way.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »
You want a helmet mounted light for you primary.  AJ's Bikes rents lights, so if you are not sure about riding at night, that is the cheapest way.

Ya I live in clearwater. I am not even sure were AJ's is. I am leaning more on WHAT to look for more than cost.. I mean if its 2 or 3 hundred for a setup its not worth it for me..
something along the lines of this?? Just kinda randomly came across it..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IXOTM4

Also what about LED ? what is the equivilant of LED to 10W halogen? If there even is?

ok well found this as well...
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15780-225_CYGHF6-2-Accessories-35-Lights/Cygolite-Hi-Flux-100-LED-Bike-Light-offer?utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&offer=IN080GLB.htm&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=225%20CYGHF6
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:04:19 PM by Find Shelter Roadies »

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:39:39 PM »
If you want to ride at night and keep a decent speed (10+ mph) as you do in the day, spend the money and get HID or the newer LED ones.  10/12/15/W just don't cut it.  Sorry I know you dont want to spend several hundred but right now is the time to buy lights.  They are on sale.  Do not wait for the night riding season.  Once the fall gets here, we ride every TUesday  night with lights.  Those rides are great.

Right now you can get a real good HID or the new LED lights like the LIght and MOtion Stellas for $199.99.  If you use Nashbar, PricePoint, or Performance, they have 10% and evenr 20 or 25% sales from time to time.  So youc an score a real good light for under $200.  You can't beat that.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
Generally the higher the wattage the less run time.  LED's don't use much watts (power), but aren't all that bright - yet. At least for biking purposes.  But you need 15 to 20 "watts", as they are sold, to get a good line of sight on single track.  HID's are bright and tend to use less battery power, or give you longer burn time on your battery. 

So, to simplify it as it stands, you'll probably end up spending between $190/$220 for a light that will give you both battery run time of about 2+ hours and shine a far enough path so you're not riding at 6mph.  Good to have a backup light, even of lesser light in case something happens.  Serfas has a bright LED light with head strap for about $30 that you can mount on your helmet or wrap on your handlebars.  It uses 3 AAA batteries and runs almost as bright as a $190 light.  Almost.  Good safety light if your battery goes out or light gets damaged from wayward trees.

To justify the purchase it won't be too long before it gets dark early.  :-)

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:16 PM »
If you want to ride at night and keep a decent speed (10+ mph) as you do in the day, spend the money and get HID or the newer LED ones.  10/12/15/W just don't cut it.  Sorry I know you dont want to spend several hundred but right now is the time to buy lights.  They are on sale.  Do not wait for the night riding season.  Once the fall gets here, we ride every TUesday  night with lights.  Those rides are great.

Right now you can get a real good HID or the new LED lights like the LIght and MOtion Stellas for $199.99.  If you use Nashbar, PricePoint, or Performance, they have 10% and evenr 20 or 25% sales from time to time.  So youc an score a real good light for under $200.  You can't beat that.
Cool deal ,Thanks for pretty much summing that up. I Have never looked into lights and know absolutely nothing about them. 10/12/14/W im lost there...
As for your tuesday rides you guys still ride when the time changes? They don't close down the park earlier?

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:47:12 PM »
Generally the higher the wattage the less run time.  LED's don't use much watts (power), but aren't all that bright - yet. At least for biking purposes.  But you need 15 to 20 "watts", as they are sold, to get a good line of sight on single track.  HID's are bright and tend to use less battery power, or give you longer burn time on your battery. 

So, to simplify it as it stands, you'll probably end up spending between $190/$220 for a light that will give you both battery run time of about 2+ hours and shine a far enough path so you're not riding at 6mph.  Good to have a backup light, even of lesser light in case something happens.  Serfas has a bright LED light with head strap for about $30 that you can mount on your helmet or wrap on your handlebars.  It uses 3 AAA batteries and runs almost as bright as a $190 light.  Almost.  Good safety light if your battery goes out or light gets damaged from wayward trees.

To justify the purchase it won't be too long before it gets dark early.  :-)
Looks like I will be forking over the dough... Plus I really wanna ride the night ride during the Fat tire festival.. The past 2 yrs I have missed out on the festival. This year is gonna happen!
Thanks for the help!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »
LED's don't use much watts (power), but aren't all that bright - yet. ...
Totally disagree with you Mr. Presidente SIR!

The newer LED Light & Motion and the newer Night Riter LED are kick ass.  Very light too.

Just google up HID vs LED and see.  Also go to YouTube and do the same.  Here is one:

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »
I have a light and motion 13.5 watt halogen, I think it is the Solo logic. It is already 3 years old and works great. It is as brightas a headlight on my car. The hid lights are "whiter" but not nessesarily brighter. Not all HID's are the same. So if your budget does not allow for a HID, then get yourself at least a 13 watt Halogen. If you find that you really love night riding, then maybe you can upgrade.

At any rate I look forward to seeing you at the night ride! Hopefully it will not get rained out.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 10:18:54 PM »
wholy crap yaa im glad I posted up because not knowing a difference That would have sucked going out to the trails and not being able to see a damn thing.... I don't think I could ride with anything less then that last light shown in that video at a fast pase anyways... and man that night riding looks fun!!! can make those warm up green trails a real fun trail!

Now I just have to figure out what lightning system , from what im understand HID is the way to go...

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
I went and checked out price point and found these ? anything worthy ? good/ bad ?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 01:31:05 AM »
Did we leave the $200 price range??

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
FSR,
Expect that add to be removed soon by a moderator.  The SWAMP forum cannot endorce any vendor's direct add.  But you can create links to them.  Just guideliens they have...

I have two of the Night Rider Enduro HID's.  I get four hour run time and it only charges within two hours.  If you look hard enough, you will find it closer to $200.  I just did a quick search and found it for $275 at Pricepoint and $255 at Jensen.  Also, take advantage of the 10% and 20% coupouns Nashbar and Performance offer.

I like the Enduro but is uses the NiHM battery.  The Li-Ion batteries are lighter but cost at least $100 more.  Light and Motion makes very good HID but have never found a decent one in the $200 range.  That is why I bought the Night Rider.  NR customer service was great for me when I bent the contacts on one cable.  They simply send me a new one.  A trick I have done twice already.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »
ahhhh, sorry for that add post didn't realize..

As for the 200$ if I can find a light thats going to be affective around 200 range great! if not then I don't have a choice really... But from sandpines words sounds like its do-able...

So I could get this and be good to ride?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/LS410A00-Niterider+Enduro+Hid.aspx

Also, you have two because you use 2 or its a back up?

Thanks for the help guys, I appriciate it!

Advertisement: