Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Urban Assault  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Find Shelter Roadies

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • E = EFFORT / EFFORT = RESULTS!
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
Urban Assault
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
I hear talk about it.. heard there used to be a ride in tampa every thursday ?
Not sure the extent of this... I look it up on youtube an it seems more equivilant to trials biking ... but the way a couple guys were talking it was more like cruising your streets hitting whatever.. riding up parking garages I think it would be cool to get to the top an come down the stair case ways... an just hitting random obstacles??
I cant road bike its to mono tone... look straight and pedal... no offense to anyone! So im thinking it would be good to do this on my non trails days when im home... ? I live in Clearwater and downtown Clearwater has its potential can even dodge scientologist and look for space ships!

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
Re: Urban Assault
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:06 AM »
I used to urban assault all the time...fun stuff..There are some cool stairways and parking garages in downtown Tampa for sure..never tried it in Clearwater..let us know how it goes. :)
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:09:39 AM »
I used to urban assault all the time...fun stuff..There are some cool stairways and parking garages in downtown Tampa for sure..never tried it in Clearwater..let us know how it goes. :)
Ya im going to pick me up  me some regular pedals probably tomorrow..not so sure I wanna be clipped in for any kind of urban riding

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:20:06 AM »
The Thursday urban assault through Downtown/South Tampa died out years ago, but it was a good time while it lasted. We did lots of garages, parks and little bits of dirt here and there.

There's a group doing weekly rides downtown - I think Wednesday evenings. I think they're a bit more of the hucking and jumping type and don't know where to find more info.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »
I'm the last person in the MTB scene who refuses clipless anyway..I ride platforms everywhere..what I lose in efficiency, I make up in peace of mind in hairy situations, being able to put my feet down instantly..lol..
its a shame they quit the urban assaults..good times..but then, SWAMP doesn't have to endorse a ride to make it official..all you need is someone else willing to go for a ride with you...lol
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
I didnt ride them for a long time, when I bought my specalized it came with them so I said why not an have had them on since! just now I got a regular set of pedals for back up which I will carry with me to santos for sure! I dont know what to expect and I would like to hit the jump section an sure as hell don't want to be clipped in..

me an my buddy are going this evening today to scope out Downtown clearwater.

I just wasnt sure if anyone actually still did the rides anywhere else.. PLus im tired of sitting around all week with no riding and the urban riding seems like it could be real fun finding the right places.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 01:16:37 PM »
Go check out Riverside Park. It's on the west side of the Hillsborough River, between 275 and the UT campus. There's lots of good stuff to play around on there.

Back in the day, it was fun dodging security guards in the parking garages. ;D

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »
well kinda the whole purpose of doing these urban rides is to keep us going during the week when we cant make it to the trails... If I head anywhere into tampa with a bike its more than likely going to be straight for alafia or boyette...
We did our first ride today left my house rode down to downtown clearwater lots of stuff to play with and still out to find more.. real nice stair case at the top of this hill that leads to the ground level that was fun . parking garage went up to the top an was going to ride down the stair case but it was really small / narrow.. Its duable just going to be a tough one.
Rode over the new clearwater bridge into downtown clearwater then over the sand key bridge into sandkey park messed around one apretty fun section along the rocks next to the water. an then back through clearwater scooting over through the beachwalk than the haul back home .
We put in around 20/25 miles it was a fun ride!

I also scrounged some stuff together and made a handle bar mount for my camcorder , well see how that comes out.

• Amateur Billy Goat
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:46:40 PM »
The video from our ride, So if you live around Clearwater area there are some places we found that were fun to ride. 
its better viewed in High quality. But just a casual cruise around it is what it is.

Advertisement: