Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SS riding part 1  (Read 4857 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
SS riding part 1
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »
ok so I got a SS - did my first rides this weekend.

Saturday I did an easy loop around flatwoods to try and get used to it.  Today it was to San Felasco with Gregg, Mike and Treadlight.  The biggest thing I noticed is that the penalty for losing momentum is severe.  If you keep those big wheels rolling, it is great.  I road a 32x18 for my first two rides and it seemed just right.  It wasn't tall enough to give me trouble on the climbs at San Felasco.  The steering is a little slower than I am used to.  The fox F29 fork did a great job of keeping things smooth.  I was out of the saddle way more than I ever have been before on my other bikes.  I really think that this type of riding makes you pay total attention to what you are doing.  This will make me or anybody else that trains SS a better rider.  I have lots of work to go to keep up with the SS pros though (Treadlight, Marcel etc.) 

first rides were great.  I need to ramp up the skill level on the SS quick though or I will always be the slow guy in the back.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
Re: SS riding part 1
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:29:56 AM »
follow-up

I went on my morning road ride this a.m. and my legs were like spaghetti and killing me - SS is for sure a way to go if you are wanting to get stronger.

Now if we can just get through this Fay thing and get back to the dirt.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:34:24 AM »
SS will make you a better rider, no doubt.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
That is the deal with SS.  You have to pay attention to your line and go...  if you made the wrong choice you'll know better for next time.  Yes, it is all about momentum, keep it and you will be fine, lose and you're in a world of hurt.

Sounds like we have another convert.  Bring the Rig to Croom... experience the real fun of a single speed on some of those long drawn out ups.  With all this rain they should be like a paved road.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:29 AM »
That is the deal with SS.  You have to pay attention to your line and go...  if you made the wrong choice you'll know better for next time.  Yes, it is all about momentum, keep it and you will be fine, lose and you're in a world of hurt.

Sounds like we have another convert.  Bring the Rig to Croom... experience the real fun of a single speed on some of those long drawn out ups.  With all this rain they should be like a paved road.

have you ridden San Felasco?  those are some serious climbs - they weren't sandy like sugar hill at croom though

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:44:36 AM »
good job on the new rig....

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »

thanks - i was a bit sluggish for sure, coming back for the rib injury had me going slow.  I need a lot of work to keep up with you SS pros.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:04:09 AM »

have you ridden San Felasco?  those are some serious climbs - they weren't sandy like sugar hill at croom though

Haven't done it on my SS.  I remember them from Tour De Felasco last year though.  Not so bad going out, but coming back at the end of the 55 miles they hurt.  One of these days I'd like to hit those trails again.  I'd probably run 32/19 for climbs like the ones I remember.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »

Haven't done it on my SS.  I remember them from Tour De Felasco last year though.  Not so bad going out, but coming back at the end of the 55 miles they hurt.  One of these days I'd like to hit those trails again.  I'd probably run 32/19 for climbs like the ones I remember.

I struggled with 32x18 - but made all the climbs - however I was uber gassed when I got to the top

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:10:15 AM »

thanks - i was a bit sluggish for sure, coming back for the rib injury had me going slow.  I need a lot of work to keep up with you SS pros.
keep up? you dropped me..

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 09:11:44 AM »

keep up? you dropped me..

you bonked - that doesn't count

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
I did the tour last year on my SS, 34x17 on my 26er. I thought most of the climbs were easier because I had more motivation to power up them. That power line climb was tough though, I told myself before I got there I was gonna clean it or puke trying, I made it, and almost puked! LOL
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 12:08:41 PM »
34x17 on 26er = 52
32x18 on 29er = 51.55

pretty close to the same - 51.55 being slightly easier - I would rather struggle a little on a climb and not be spinning out like crazy

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »
I did the tour last year on my SS, 34x17 on my 26er. I thought most of the climbs were easier because I had more motivation to power up them. That power line climb was tough though, I told myself before I got there I was gonna clean it or puke trying, I made it, and almost puked! LOL
32x17 is the set-up on my ghetto ss 26er right now and yeah it is tough on some of the switchback climbs. HRM is useless once you are on the top ;) ;) ;)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »
that is 48.94 which is even harder

Advertisement: