Author Topic: I'm losing my sole  (Read 1558 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
I'm losing my sole
« on: August 06, 2008, 07:54:59 AM »
bottom of my shoe is falling off. Can it be be saved? Anyone ever successfully glue  a sole back on? Currently only the heel portion is loose.  I am thinking maybe some epoxy? Chiseler mentioned something about some skateboard goo? What you got foos?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: I'm losing my sole
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »
I've reattached the sole of my shoes a couple of times now...I used Gorilla glue and it will work for a good amount of time before starting to separate again.  Clean the area as much as possible, use a little glue, and then either hold it or tape it togehter until the glue sets.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
bottom of my shoe is falling off. Can it be be saved? Anyone ever successfully glue  a sole back on? Currently only the heel portion is loose.  I am thinking maybe some epoxy? Chiseler mentioned something about some skateboard goo? What you got foos?

Yellow pages...shoe repair...ride.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »

Poor sole, only "divine intervention" can save it ;D ;D ;D

As what Garry said that divine intervention is a trip to a shoe repair shop.http://shoerepair.iaf.net/r/brandon,FL.html
I work at south tampa, there is one inside westshore mall.

moriSSon

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »
We used a special super-fast setting epoxy on a buddy's road shoe a couple of weeks ago.  So far, I've heard no compliants.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »
I'm thinking the  epoxy is the way to go too. Sets up instantly and you can put it on a hard hat and stick it to an iron I-beam and it will hold you up off the ground. I've seen it on the TV.  ;D
   Epoxy is probably $12.00 - $15.00 and it gives me a  chance to  put on a white overcoat, protective eyewear and get all scientific and sh@#. I'll seek out some good stuff. Home Depots best!  The flip side is, go to a shoe store and it will probably be permanently fixed and I can suppport a local bitness. Tough call. Professionally repaired or the possibility of me riding the trails with big gobs of glue hanging from the base of my shoe. Little chunks falling off, animals eating them. Animals dying, laying along the trails. Peta getting wind of this.  Tracking me down through the forum. One of you rat bastards selling me out. Prison time for animal cruelty. I'm going to have to be very careful on how I proceed with this.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
I'm thinking the  epoxy is the way to go too. Sets up instantly and you can put it on a hard hat and stick it to an iron I-beam and it will hold you up off the ground. I've seen it on the TV.  ;D
   Epoxy is probably $12.00 - $15.00 and it gives me a  chance to  put on a white overcoat, protective eyewear and get all scientific and sh@#. I'll seek out some good stuff. Home Depots best!  The flip side is, go to a shoe store and it will probably be permanently fixed and I can suppport a local bitness. Tough call. Professionally repaired or the possibility of me riding the trails with big gobs of glue hanging from the base of my shoe. Little chunks falling off, animals eating them. Animals dying, laying along the trails. Peta getting wind of this.  Tracking me down through the forum. One of you rat bastards selling me out. Prison time for animal cruelty. I'm going to have to be very careful on how I proceed with this.  ;D

I am not a rat.....

But don't worry just in case this two will keep you company ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:14:37 PM by treadlight »

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
Yeah, those two could be in my tribe!  ;D Actually, over the years, there has been many characters like those two.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »
zoloff berzerker..  girl like!       Do you want to makem f@%$ berzerker!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »

I am not a rat.....

But don't worry just in case this two will keep you company ;D ;D ;D

I love those guys!!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »
Update on the loose sole. I bought some epoxy from Harbor Freaight and Tools, cleaned up the shoe really well, mixed up the two part epoxy glue, applied with the popsicle stick applicator that came with the glue, gobbed it really good, used up all the epoxy in the tubes. Pressed it all together and put in a bench vise  and squeezed it tight. Took a rag and wiped off all the excess that squished out of the shoe and let it  sit there for 4 days. Wore them for the first time today, 14 miles at Boyette and had no problems at all. The finish on the shoe where the glue is at the sole looks like a factory seal and so far so good. Cost of glue - approximately 7 bucks. Saving my sole - priceless!  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »
...Cost of glue - approximately 7 bucks. Saving my sole - priceless!  ;D
Did it get you high sniffing it?  Post name and brand so we can have a rush of order to the supplier.. for $7 a pop...or a few hits.. daz not too bad...  :o

Offline MBruns

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »
I have also used the Gorilla glue, almost the entire sole was flopping and nothing to loose, that stuff will foam up like a rabid animal where it squeezes out but it works, just use a clamp for pressure and let it dry

Mike Bruns
A 'good' ride is one that you can walk away. A'great' ride is one after which you can use the bike again.