Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SS riding part II  (Read 2704 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
SS riding part II
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:44:51 AM »
ok - now that I am comfortable on the SS and have a few rides under the ole belt here are some more observations:

It is a lot more work physically = I burn more calories per hour = I am losing weight even faster

I am even more a freind of momentum than I ever thought possible = once you get those tires rolling, you don't want to stop.

It is teaching me to be a much better climber...now I attack climbs rather than just let the climbs come to me and hope to poke it in the right gear.

I am seated much less than on a FS geared bike - I have become more attached to the bike and ride in the bike rather than on it per say - that might have more to do with it being a 29er than the whole SS thing though

a SS is a great training tool and I can already see after a few short rides, major improvement in my bicycling skill level.  If you train on a SS then take the skills you learn and strength you gained over to a geared bike for races, I think it would be a good combo. 

bottom line - I am very pleased with how this venture is going so far.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: SS riding part II
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »
Good report for your short ss career.  How much clearance you have on the BB vs your 26er?  On mine, is about 1 to 1.5 inch lower.  So it was hard to adjust and pay more attention to pedal positioning/stroke on different terrain.  I learned how to use half pedal strokes more then on my 26er full bongo.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »
Good report for your short ss career.  How much clearance you have on the BB vs your 26er?  On mine, is about 1 to 1.5 inch lower.  So it was hard to adjust and pay more attention to pedal positioning/stroke on different terrain.  I learned how to use half pedal strokes more then on my 26er full bongo.

it is really close to the same - maybe the GF G2 geometry?  I really don't know.  I will be happy though when I get my king hubs built up to 29er wheels...they are much easier to double clutch because they engage really fast (3 degrees)

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »
I'm still in awe at how well you're riding the SS Jonathan!!  Great job!
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »
I'm still in awe at how well you're riding the SS Jonathan!!  Great job!

I think the biggest thing is not the SS but the fact I was 267 pounds in november and now I am down to 213 - my legs were used to pedaling my fat ass around and now they are loving me weighing less.  put a 54 pound weight vest on and pedal around and see how hard it is.

Luis

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »
Good job! Now stop sucking all the fun out of it by over analyzing it, it's a bike: you turn the pedals...it moves forward... ;)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »
Good job! Now stop sucking all the fun out of it by over analyzing it, it's a bike: you turn the pedals...it moves forward... ;)

haha - you are correct

naked indian

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »

Dont listen to luis, its very complicated and needs constant anaylysis and gizmos, get as many gizomos and gadgets as you can.  Luis rides SS but pretends he is shifting the entire time thus the reason he goes so fast.  He basically, mentally cheats every time he rides his bike.  Ridiculous if you ask me.

Luis

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
Dont listen to luis, its very complicated and needs constant anaylysis and gizmos, get as many gizomos and gadgets as you can.  Luis rides SS but pretends he is shifting the entire time thus the reason he goes so fast.  He basically, mentally cheats every time he rides his bike.  Ridiculous if you ask me.

What are you doing posting here, boy?  ??? You're probably posting from your doucheberry too, right?  ;D

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
LMAO!!!  ;D Not this time.... LOL... I think mines is closer to an Ifonie instead of a doucheberry...thats awesome....  the only place I got left to post is here, all them other places is DOA.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »
FactorE with the single speed Shock and Awe!!!!  Way to go. I heard you put in some serious miles at the Croom. You really get dialed in with the one gear after a long ride like that.  8)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
FactorE with the single speed Shock and Awe!!!!  Way to go. I heard you put in some serious miles at the Croom. You really get dialed in with the one gear after a long ride like that.  8)

you become one with the gear...lol

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »
the Santos Epic is an excellent SS ride IMO.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Luis

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »

Especially if you include a couple of laps around Vortex...

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »

Especially if you include a couple of laps around Vortex...
I prefer epic at Croom over the Santos Epic but with 2 laps of Vortex..now that is interesting.

Advertisement: