Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Question on Lights  (Read 2865 times)

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Question on Lights
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »
Hey guys. I did a search and found an older post that had some info on lights but I was looking for a little bit more clarification. Basically, why would I want to get a $30 Trek headlight over a $300 Light and Motion headlight? Intensity? Are the $30 headlights not even legal as far as Florida statute goes in regards to night riding (on the road)? If I wanted to come out the Tues. SWAMP night rides, are the $30 lights OK?

I'm generally looking @ either the Light & Motion brand or the NiteRider brand but I was curious why the discrepancy in price. Thanks!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Question on Lights
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »
The 30 dollar light is probably just one or two LED's. That will absolutely NOT be enough light. I tried that when I did my first night ride.  You will not be able to see.

Those lights are good for allowing others to see you as you are riding on the road. They are not for illumination.

You don't have to spend $300. You can probably find something that will be adequate in the low 100 dollar range.

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:27:49 PM »
Do you have any recommendations?

I found this, that seems to be a good balance between cost, weight, brightness, and run time. The only downside is people say it makes a better helmet light than handlebar light and I'd rather mount it on my handlebars.

http://www.bikelights.com/Products/Stella180N.htm

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »
If you are riding in the woods, then by far...it is better to have the light mounted on your helmet. You want the light to where you are looking....not nessarily where your bars are turned.

I have light and motion lights, and they have been very reliable.

Anthem1

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:58:27 PM »
I am looking for a helmet mounted light too, that stella looks pretty sweet. Now the question is, do I spend the extra $100 for the Litium battery?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »
What is the difference in run time? I usually get about 2 hours out of my standard battery. That has, for the most part been plenty. The question is do you anticipate riding longer than 2 hours in the dark?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
Sorry to keep pushing the Night Rider HID Enduro which I have. I wish they would sponsor me since I keep brining this light up.   But in case you are looking to buy an HID system Jenson has both the NiMh battery and the Lith one on sale.

(sale price $255) NiMh = ~4 hr run time
(sale price $275) Lith = ~ 2.5 hr run time and slightly lighter.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/LS306A06-Niterider+Enduro+Lith.aspx
http://jensonusa.com/store/product/LS410A00-Niterider+Enduro+Hid.aspx

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »
I agree that those are great lights Marcel, but I think that this is more an issue of affordability. I think that some folks are a little uncomfortable spending or just may not have that much money in the budget. I think with some digging you could probably find a Stella N for around $150.

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »
I like that light Sandpine but two questions.

1. How are you carrying the battery? I need to be able to mount it somewhere on my road bike where I don't have a camelbak.

2. How often have you had to replace the bulb? One of the reviewers stated its a $100 a pop to replace.

It seems that I'm going to end up w. a handlebar light AND a helmet light.

Anthem1

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
The run time on the Stella N and L is 5 hours :o on high setting, 20 on low. So it comes down to weight, 300 grams total for the L while the N is 500+

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
I use the light for both road and off road.  But on road, I don't like to use it on my helmet and mount it on my handle bars.  The Stellas are real nice and very light with tons of light.  They will run you about $199 on jenson right now.

1. How are you carrying the battery? I need to be able to mount it somewhere on my road bike where I don't have a camelbak.
I mount to handle bar with the $23 piece found here:  http://jensonusa.com/store/product/LS701Z00-Niterider+Universal+Handlebar+Mount.aspx  As for the battery, you can carry on your Jersey pocket but the Nimh battery is a bit heavy.  And if mounted on the hanlde bar then you don't want it tie to you.  So I use a little pack that goes on top tube and head tube.  It looks liek this one: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BA401A06-Profile+Design+E-Pack.aspx I also use that pack for very long epics to carry extra food.

2. How often have you had to replace the bulb? One of the reviewers stated its a $100 a pop to replace.
Yes is $100 but I haven't had to.  I bought mine almost two years ago and use it at least 4 times a month during the fall.  About once or twice every other month during the year.  I even smacked a three one and the only thing that broke was the mounting bracket. 

Anthem1

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »
Another option I am looking at is the Niterider minewt.x2, lithium battery, 3.5 hours run time on high 5 on low and a scant 230 grams :o For the same price range as the Stella N
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:13:07 PM by Anthem1 »

Offline Find Shelter Roadies

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • E = EFFORT / EFFORT = RESULTS!
    • Aaron Joslin Photog
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
This is one I have been eyeing doesn't break the bank , and one had suggested in the previous light topic which im sure you have already seen..... but when I get some extra dough i will probbaly commit to it. just skeptical on how much night riding I will actually do ya know. I guess thats why its a bit harder to toss over the money for a light setup.
( http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,2607.0.html )

http://www.bikeman.com/LT1116&utm_source=base&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=Google-Base.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:20:48 PM by Find Shelter Roadies »

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 08:04:37 AM »
Anthem, I'm digging that NiteRider. You lose a little light power but it's pretty damn light. I figure I could use that for road riding and when I hit the trails, pick up the MiNewt usb-plus and helmet mount it.

FSR, that stella you linked was the one I was originally considering. I hear ya in regards to spending money on a light setup. I'll probably trail ride 1-2x's a yr but road ride more often when it starts getting darker earlier.

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 09:31:24 AM »
Anthem, I just noticed you're looking for a helmet mounted light. The x2 doesn't helmet mount (unless there's an additional accessory for it) Something to keep in mind.

Advertisement: