Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Rear Hub question  (Read 1718 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Rear Hub question
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
I don't know much about hubs so I'm helping someone can help. My rear hub seems to be making a lot of noise lately and when I spin the wheel the cassette wobbles a bit (Not too much but enough to notice). Can they be rebuilt or do I need to replace it? Should I replace just he hub or the entire wheelset. I'm riding a 07 Fisher Paragon 29er with Bontrager race disc 29 wheel sets.

If I have to replace it I would like to upgrade from what I have now. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
Re: Rear Hub question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »
Take it to your LBS and have it looked at.  Maybe the cassette needs to be tightened back on to the hub.  The noise could be from that if it's loose.  Or check it yourself if you have the tools (lock-ring tool and chainwhip).  Could be something simple....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:07:40 PM by jimn213, Reason: clarification »
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »
Generally speaking HUBS like those come sealed so there isn't much that can be done internally and if it is a ture internal hub issue it'd be a replacement issue (though I could be wrong).  LBS is the best way to go.

As for upgrading there are tons of good options.  Are you looking wheel set replacement...if so American Classic makes a nice 29er wheel set, Mavic has a good one as well.  You can laso build up a set with chris King hubs, Hope hubs, or even go Industry Nine.  Most of these options are in the 800.00 to 1K price range. 

A simple upgrade would the the Bontrager Race Lite wheel set.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:59:14 PM »
Generally speaking HUBS like those come sealed so there isn't much that can be done internally and if it is a ture internal hub issue it'd be a replacement issue (though I could be wrong).  LBS is the best way to go.

As for upgrading there are tons of good options.  Are you looking wheel set replacement...if so American Classic makes a nice 29er wheel set, Mavic has a good one as well.  You can laso build up a set with chris King hubs, Hope hubs, or even go Industry Nine.  Most of these options are in the 800.00 to 1K price range. 

A simple upgrade would the the Bontrager Race Lite wheel set.

Thanks for the advice. This gives me a good starting point. I've never built a wheelset set myself but I suppose now is the best time to learn. I'll take it in and see what the shop has to say.  As far as an upgrade goes I just want to make sure that it will last for the trails I ride (mostly intermediate and single black diamond trails). I am also hoping to ride the Crooom 50 this year.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:02:01 AM »
Your Lites can probably be fixed. But if you need a new wheel set I would recommend Bontrager's Rhythm Elite wheels. They are a little wider than what you've got now (28mm), have DT Swiss hubs (Onyx- should be the same hub you have), are a little lighter than 29 Race Lites, and they are crazy strong. I had a pair of 26" Elite's on my Kona and my '08 Paragon came with Rhythm Comps (Comps have cheaper hubs). I just upgraded to Race X Lites. Not sure what LBS you frequent, but Randy or Jeff at Oliver's in Tampa are very knowledgeable and could help you get what you need, Bonty or otherwise.
This is gonna hurt

Advertisement: