Author Topic: What is Croom like?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
What is Croom like?
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:19:47 AM »
From looking at the croom map, there are 3 levels, yellow, blue and red

i've been to alafia, boyette, and carter.

can someone relate the colors of the trails to the above 3 parks?

like.... is yellow at croom pretty much sandpine at alafia?  etc

thanks
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Re: What is Croom like?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:43:34 AM »
Croom is not like any of the other trails since there are actual hills and elevation changes. yellow trails are kind of like golf cart at boyette, but with real hills. I would say a cross between WTS/Boyette but more toward boyette with real hills. here are some pictures from the Croom35/50 event

http://homepage.mac.com/weseubank/PhotoAlbum49.html
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline MBruns

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:33:26 AM »
My son and I went to Croom Friday for the first time, we parked at the fire tower and went clockwise on the yellow trail to the red connector to pick up the blue trail going to the right (west) and rode to pick up the red trail thru the clay pit and back to the fire tower (parking area 3) just short of 18 miles in 2 hr 10 min, we had a great time, trails are in very nice shape, they are very scenic and flowing trails that will give you an excellent cardio work out, we surprised a deer that ran along side close to the trail, I will be back to ride some more.The Swamp Crew does an amazing job on a huge trail system ! One recomendation if you have not seen the cloth trail maps available for all the swamp trails they are the way to go.  ;D

Mike Bruns
A 'good' ride is one that you can walk away. A'great' ride is one after which you can use the bike again.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
The colors of the trails on the maps for Croom do not reflect there difficulty. For the most part they are easy trails. As long as they are packed, they are fun fast trails. There is a LOT more climbing than any of the other trails that you mentioned.

There are a couple of areas that are a little technical, but most of your ride will not be.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
Trail colors designate the loops at Croom. The yellow loop is ~ 12 miles. The blue loop is ~ 30 miles. Red trails connect the yellow and blue trails north (1 mile) and south (6 miles) of Croom Road. Green trails are bailouts and shortcuts.

With all the connectors and bailouts, the possibilities are endless out there.

As for what it's like, it's hilly and sandy with a few technical sections through old pits. It's a great place to ride when it's raining a lot, but horrible when it hasn't rained for a month. When the conditions are right (like right now), it's one of my favorite local places to ride.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:20:58 PM by Harvey »

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »
When is the motocycle enduro race? I would like to get a couple of rides in before that.  Are they going to use the blue trails again? 

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:34:43 AM »
It's September 28. They'll be out there up to 2 weeks before marking the course, so be prepared. After the enduro, don't even bother going there until after deer season is over in December. It'll make you cry seeing the destruction done to the trails.

They weren't allowed to have the enduro last year because they didn't work to repair the trails like they promised. I really hope they do nothing again this year and are kicked out for good.

They have a pre-set course (green dots on trees). It goes on and off the blue trail and south red.

Luis

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »
When is the motocycle enduro race? I would like to get a couple of rides in before that.  Are they going to use the blue trails again? 

Marcel, I was thinking of heading to Croom this weekend... 35 or so miles, nothing crazy...haven't been on the mtb in weeks. Let me know if you're interested. 

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
Luis...
Our wifes must rule our world...  ;D  You had anniversity that kept you from San Felasco last weekend.  Now, i have a Wife Birthday this weekend.  We will be at Orlando taking the kids to the Sponge Bob hotel (her idea).   :D  I just hope I can get away Sunday to watch the BUCS game somewhere with a beer on hand.  Thanks for the invite.  If I don't go to pre-ride Haile's next weekend, I might hit Croom then.  No, I am not doing the FSC.  Just wanted to check out Haile's since is our only chance to ride there all year.