Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Shimano Brake Lever Caps?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Shimano Brake Lever Caps?
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »
Hey guys. So last nite I endoed from a pothole on my road bike. Bikes OK cept the handlebars rotated ever so slightly away from my and my shimano brake lever caps are scratched up. (I don't know what to call em. Picture below highlights them). Got a couple questions though.

1. The brake levers tilted inward a bit. How are these fastened to the handlebar so I can straighten them out?

2. Are replacement caps available anywhere w/o having to buy the entire brake lever system? If not, can I superglue the caps in place since they're not kind of popping out? I don't want to ruin any mechanism inside the lever?

3. Should I just take it to my LBS and have them sort it out? If so, do I need to take it to an Orbea dealer or can I take it to where I got my mt. bike since they know me. (GF and Trek dealer). I don't want to ruin any warranty or anything and the Orbea dealer I bought it from is in Miami.

Thanks!

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Shimano Brake Lever Caps?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:37:42 AM »
OK Well I found the partial answer to question #2.

Shimano has an exploded parts list of the brake levers and I found the part number associated with name plate and fixing screw. I'll ask my LBS if they can order it because I could not find it online. What I do so I can have a "pretty" bike  ::)

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:30:27 AM »
1. The brake levers tilted inward a bit. How are these fastened to the handlebar so I can straighten them out?
There's a bolt that takes a 5mm allen key on one side of the lever - I forget which side, but from your pic it looks like the inside - under the rubber part. You'll see a small indentation where the plastic meets the rubber. Slide a 5mm allen under the rubber at the indentation and you'll find the bolt. Loosen it, rotate the levers into position and tighten it back up. Don't loosen it too far or you'll back the bolt out of the clamp, possibly needing to re-tape the bar to get it back together.

As for being Orbea-specific, you're dealing with a Shimano part so any LBS can handle it for you. Sounds like you have a handle on it.

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks Harvey! Exactly what I needed. Now I can even play around with my positioning, hehehe.

I kinda wanted my LBS to scan over the stem and frame and make sure nothing else loosened or cracked (carbon bike). That's why I raised the LBS issue.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
No trees to grab onto on the road huh? Thought I would say that before Jim did :)..

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »
I'm not saying a word. :) 

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »
lol. Shut it!

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
Well my LBS put the name plates on order but their OOS for now. They'll run me around $25.

Also, turns out I have a scratch thru the clear coat and the carbon fiber is showing. Since they aren't an Orbea dealer they can't do anything but I trusted their opinions. They say the frame's structurally sound but I should get that coated up ASAP. They recommended a couple Orbea dealers and now I know what I'm doing this weekend.  :-\

Hopefully this doesn't run me an arm and leg. Hopefully just an arm.  ::)

I don't think I'm meant for this biking thing, lol.

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »
Jazz,
     My oldest son knows how you feel.  He recently bought a new Giant Yukon to get back into biking.  He is just under 6' and about 255.  The first time out, he half rode/jumped over a fallen tree stump and found out he somehow bent a tooth on his front gears.  More puzzling is how it was the middle gear that got bent.  Short story, he got that kind of repaired and another week or so later, was riding in a damp parking lot to the trail when he exceeded the coefficient of adhesion between knobby tires and wet asphalt and went down onto his hip and shoulder as his bike slid into a parking curb and bent the front rib.  He never expected cycling to be so expensive.  (I suggested if he had clips and shoes, the bike likely wouldn't have slid into the curb and messed up the wheel but he is still resisting  :-\ )
     If anyone has any thoughts, he is still having some problems with his chain getting caught between the gears on the front sprocket.  This most often happens when he is in the middle gear in front and the smallest gear in back or in the largest in front and back.  I don't think he has ever had a problem while he is in the smallest gear in front.  Almost sounds like the middle and high gear in front are not quite parallel but I'm not sure how to check.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Advertisement: