Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: grip shifters  (Read 2764 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
grip shifters
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »
love em/hate em?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of these things?  I have never tried using them...just curious

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: grip shifters
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
love em/hate em?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of these things?  I have never tried using them...just curious

They were on my first bike that I bought from walmart.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »
Advantages -
Light weight
More durable
Can 'trim' your front deraileur some to prevent chain rub

Disadvantages-
Takes up room on the handlebars
May cause issues with regards to using your grips of preference
Can accidentally miss-shift (used to happen to me when riding bumpy stuff or landing a jump)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:42:47 PM »
i guess the light weight and durable thing is why you see a lot of Pro XC racers use them?

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:43:15 PM »
Grip shifters are a sram product if you are looking for a website.  You will most often see them used in crosscountry aplications by weight weenies.  I am a closet WW so I can say that. An X9 grip shifter wieghs about 50 grams less than its trigger counterpart.  I have limited experience with them which was about a 2 hour ride at Alafia.  I found that bending my wrist to shift in this mannor was very unnatural and even a bit hazardous in technical terrain as it messed with my line and limited the control from that arm during the shift.  It is also a little uneasy knowing part of your grip may ratate as you hold on for dear life in shaddy spots.  On the good side they do weigh a bit less and have a very clean look on the bar.  Also you can shift through many gears with one twist rather than having to hit the trigger several times.  

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »
I used them exclusively on my old XC bike.  I liked them for XC.  They were easy and reliable for the rear der.  The front was a long throw to shift.  I see some people run grip for the rear and trigger for the front.  I did not like them for areas like Alafia.  I had a lot of accidental shifts when riding Moonscape and Gatorback.  I am a white knuckle rider though.  If I had a XC exclusive bike, I wouldn't hesitate to run them.  It was a big bonus being able to shift the entire cassette with the turn of your wrist.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »
I am thinking as sketchy as i ride...the ole trigger shifter is better for me

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
I had them on my first 'real' mountain bike ages ago.  Intially, I really liked them but then as my riding progressed and I was riding more difficult things, the accidental miss-shift would really get me in trouble.  I'm now a trigger person, but could definately see a grip-shift setup on a race bike.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:24:18 PM »
Since you are riding an SS, I assume the shifter is for decoration.  This being said, I would also recomend a bell, horn or even bar end tassels.

In the event you are going 1x9, you can probably run a shorter cage derailuer with only one ring up front.  I have heard of problems keeping the chain on W/O a front derailuer, coach would be a good reference as he converted a few months ago I believe.

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
If its a race bike, I go grip shift all the way.  The high end XO's are lighter then any triggers out there and you have the ability to throw more then one gear in one shot which is ideal for sprinting and climbing.

Grips are bad ass, and the accidental shift thing, it doesnt happen to me on the XO's maybe its because of the lower grade grips?

Anthem1

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
I ran the X.O.'s on the Anthem for about a month, I liked the ability to trim derailur position but found the occasional mis-shift too annoying. You know those root's that you like to bunny hop out at flatwoods? I found myself misshifting on landings :'(

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:59:31 PM »
Had them on a rigid, steel Trek 12 years ago and was never interested in using them again.  It was the first mountain bike that I ever rode 'in anger' on any 'real' trails.

The old mis-shift under pressure was my problem with 'em as well.
In retrospect, I think I was probably holding on to the grips too tightly for fear of being bounced off the bike...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:02:42 PM by jimn213 »
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
I loved the indexing on old grip shifters, but have not used them in at least 10 years.  Any time I tried to kick my back end out I shifted by mistake, not good when you jump a lot.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
I love mine.  I have used the x9 shifters on my bike for about 18 months now.  Its funny that people say they miss shift with these as I have has the exact opposite experience.  I had thumb shifters on my old bike and for some reason I always seemed to shift the front derailleur by accident on technical sections.  I do not have that problem at all with the twist shifts.  My biggest gripe with them is the lack of grip selection.  So now I usually just buy esi chunky grips and cut them to size.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

naked indian

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:23:33 PM »
A good point regarding trimming was brought up.  Not only can I slam three or four gears in one shot, which is great in a tech climb or a sprint, but since I am a single speeder by nature I tend to mash the big ring alot, so it helps alot with trimming when riding in the illegal/cross chain combos, I can trim out the front derailleur so it doesnt rub.

In the end of course you have to use what works. 

Finally, my final Kudos to grips, is that you can never smash em against a tree and break em.  With triggers there is always that chance that you could break one out in the middle of now where, with grips those chances are significantly decreased.  When im deep in the backwoods exploring in the unknown I like no nonsense bomb proof equipment. ;) ;D

Advertisement: