Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: shoes  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
shoes
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »
i'm gettin some shoes finally so i can go clipless and fall over in front of all of you in the parking lot of alafia, haha. need some help deciding on the ones below

I found some diadora shoes the "ergo" style, but mtbr has no reviews. has anyone heard of these? they are size 11.5 (all of my shoes are either 11 or 12) and only $27 bucks .
on performancebike.com, they are $120.00

pricepoint has their Sette element shoe's for $49.99
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13245-285_SETEM3-1-Clothing-133-Shoes/Mountain/Sette-Element-MTB-Shoes.htm
the elements are rated 4.04 out of 5 on mtbr

i've seen a few folks with the shimano shoe that looks like the M075, they got decent reviews at mtbr, they are rated 4.25 out of 5  those are basically 60-70 bucks

too many options!  lol

Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: shoes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
Shoes are really a personal thing. I know someone who has some of those Sette's, he likes them.

Personally, I wouldn't buy shoes that I have not already owned online. You really need to try them on, and the time that you spend sending them back if they don't fit is not (to me) worth the few bucks savings.

Just my opinion.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »
that is true, but the LBS probably won't have much in that 50-70 price range....
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Anthem1

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:59:10 PM »
But you can get an idea of different manufactures fit :)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:06:29 PM »
But you can get an idea of different manufactures fit :)
;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »
that is true, but the LBS probably won't have much in that 50-70 price range....
You would be surprised at those that do

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
i'm gettin some shoes finally so i can go clipless and fall over in front of all of you in the parking lot of alafia, haha. need some help deciding on the ones below

I found some diadora shoes the "ergo" style, but mtbr has no reviews. has anyone heard of these? they are size 11.5 (all of my shoes are either 11 or 12) and only $27 bucks .
on performancebike.com, they are $120.00

pricepoint has their Sette element shoe's for $49.99
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13245-285_SETEM3-1-Clothing-133-Shoes/Mountain/Sette-Element-MTB-Shoes.htm
the elements are rated 4.04 out of 5 on mtbr

i've seen a few folks with the shimano shoe that looks like the M075, they got decent reviews at mtbr, they are rated 4.25 out of 5  those are basically 60-70 bucks

too many options!  lol

As a matter of fact I have a pair of Diadora's alive and kickin on my shelf.  They were just as good as my most expensive shoes.  Only reason I dont usem is cause my egg beater clips are totally frozen on their from seasons of mucky and sweaty riding, and I have totally boycotted egg beater pedals. Other than that, they were excellent.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »
IMO, shoes are not a place to skimp.  They are rotating mass, and are responsible for transmitting horsepower to the bike.  An uncomfortable pair of shoes can be as bad if not worse than a harsh saddle.  I'm not saying you need to spend a couple hundred bucks, but certainly try them on and walk around in them for a while first.  Make sure your heel stays in place and there are no pressure points.  Keep in mind that some material will streach and that many shoes are available to the half euro sizes for optimum fit.  You may also find sales on combos of shoes and pedals for a deeper discount.  Going clipless will most certainly make you a better rider and is almost a right of passage as you go through the learning curve. 

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »
IMO, shoes are not a place to skimp.  They are rotating mass, and are responsible for transmitting horsepower to the bike.  An uncomfortable pair of shoes can be as bad if not worse than a harsh saddle.  I'm not saying you need to spend a couple hundred bucks, but certainly try them on and walk around in them for a while first.  Make sure your heel stays in place and there are no pressure points.  Keep in mind that some material will streach and that many shoes are available to the half euro sizes for optimum fit.  You may also find sales on combos of shoes and pedals for a deeper discount.  Going clipless will most certainly make you a better rider and is almost a right of passage as you go through the learning curve. 

He has an excellent point.  You truly get what you pay for when it comes to shoes.  But, sometimes you aint got no choice and you got to shop around.  I would say rule of thumb you can trust anything Italian...LOL..

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 11:13:28 PM »
 "I would say rule of thumb you can trust anything Italian...LOL.."

If my Sidis were not in the trunk of my car thay would smite you. ;D

There are plenty of good brands with overstock from the past few years.  I would prefer an older model of better quality than a newer model of lower caliber.  If you can find a ratcheting closure, they tend to stay tight longer, though they are prone to breaking.  If you are going straight velcro, make sure there are at least 3 straps.  Laces are also effective if you have an additional strap to secure the laces and keep the heel in place.  The styles that are more like traditional shoes are a little more comfortable to walk in but dry slowly in the rainy season.

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:40 AM »
I've got the M075s and they're just OK. I agree not to skimp on the shoe, if you can afford it. Or find last year's higher end model @ the same price as this year's lower end model. I learned my lesson and now I love my road shoes (adidas).

I'd go to an LBS and check out multiple brands. Different manuf. have different sizing. I believe I'm 1/2 size smaller in shimanos and true to size in adidas. Once you at least know that, you can feel a bit more comfortable ordering online.

And chainslap, aren't Sidis Italian?  ??? lol

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »
I like my Walmart shoes and duct tape.  Also, you can buy duct tape in cool colors to match your bike.  The setup cost me $7 out the door.

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »
I've got the Adidas Adistar shoes from BlueSkyCycling.com. I'm sure anyone who has seen a copy of MTB Action in the past year has seen the same shoes and know which ones I'm talking about.

I bought them for my first pair and I still have them almost a year later and they're great. They're quite comfortable, granted I wouldn't want to wear them as everyday walking shoes, but I have no complaints about them.

They're $120 before shipping which is kind of steep, but I feel they're worth it. When it comes to shoes you get what you pay for most times. As said above, shoes isn't really the area you want to skimp out on.

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
I like my Walmart shoes and duct tape.  Also, you can buy duct tape in cool colors to match your bike.  The setup cost me $7 out the door.

WTF? You duct tape your shoes to your bike  ;)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 09:14:25 AM »
Shoes are such a personal fit thing to me.  I would go ahead and spend the few extra dollars at the bike shop to get the fit that works for you, then when it's time to get new shoes you'll know what to look for online.  I have found two shoes over the years that were okay in comfort from online, but it's hard to replace sitting down, strapping a few pairs of shoes on the ole dogs and getting a feel for which one is best for your foot.  Width, length, weight, strap type, arch - they all have differences.

Advertisement: