Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Best Solo Ride Location(s)  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Amocat00

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Zoom Zoom
Best Solo Ride Location(s)
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:35:46 AM »
I know it's not the best idea to go riding by yourself.  But, sometimes that's just what I'm looking for, for various reasons.  So, I'm not looking for the reasons I shouldn't go by myself.  Where is/are the best places to go riding when you're going solo?  I'm looking for somewhere, where I can still have technical challenges, not just trails.  But, where if I get injured or something, I'll either be close to my vehicle, or have a better chance of running in to someone else on the trail.  I've ridden Boyette lots of times by myself.  But, I realize if I get hurt out there....well, you know.  The only other places I've ridden are Alafia twice and Carter once (a long time ago, so I really can't recall how it was).
"Ride It Like You Stole It!!!"

~Shawn

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
Re: Best Solo Ride Location(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:50 AM »
I ride solo probably 95% of the time. So far Alafia and Boyette for proximity to where I live- both less than 15 minute drive.

I really like Boyette for the solitude and the fact that the trails arent very scary and it has great flow between all of them.If I am not up to it I will skip the big drop. I feel pretty comfortable riding there and it is never crowded on the weekday afternoons. On the other hand Alafia is more challenging for technical and I feel pretty safe there because your close to parking if you get hurt and quite a bit more people riding to find your body. Both have their appeal, but when I just want to get away I head down to Boyette.

wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:07:27 AM »
Morris Bridge/Trout Creek.  Of course not a lot to say for the technical challenges other than parts of Indian and Gator Bait which is usually closed in the rainy season.  But you can get about 23 miles if you ride everything else.  Hit the throttle a little to make it bit more exciting.  Play in the sand pits which are pretty good when it has been raining.  Time yourself through Panther for a little pain, er, fun. Treat the levy like a long sprint.  Blast through Bayshore for some energetic endurance.  Remember to call out on the blind turns; it's two way and someone else is doing the same thing you are.

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:49:07 AM »
Well, I have a recommendation.

Go to google maps and start looking around your area, you would be surprised all the dirt roads and easements and powerline trails and things that you can find right around your home.  Its trails like that, that spawned rides like the Catch 22, Tour De Gainesville and my very own creation the Naked Indian 100.

You too could have your own urban singletrack adventure right out your front door.

As well, every rider should carry a phone to call for help in the event of an emergency.

If you ever need any advice on how to get into something like this, feel free to ask, I didnt get the nickname Koach Karlos for nothin...LMAO ;D

Offline Amocat00

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Zoom Zoom
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »

Go to google maps and start looking around your area, you would be surprised all the dirt roads and easements and powerline trails and things that you can find right around your home.  Its trails like that, that spawned rides like the Catch 22, Tour De Gainesville and my very own creation the Naked Indian 100.

You too could have your own urban singletrack adventure right out your front door.

As well, every rider should carry a phone to call for help in the event of an emergency.

If you ever need any advice on how to get into something like this, feel free to ask, I didnt get the nickname Koach Karlos for nothin...LMAO ;D

Good ideas.  Two questions:  When you used Google maps, do you use satellite or terrain maps?  And, I live just off the Bloomingdale (Valrico) Golf Course.  Are you familiar with this area?  I go to Boyette the most often because it's the closest to me.  But, I thought maybe you already know of some backyard trails/single track in that area.
"Ride It Like You Stole It!!!"

~Shawn

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
I ride alone - or just with my dogs - more than I ride with others. A lot of times I prefer it that way. Ride your own pace, no waiting, solitude, I could go on and on.

I've ridden every trail in our area solo. I particularly love long solo days at Croomm which is about as "in the middle of nowhere" as you can get. I always carry my cell phone and typically don't try to get into anything over my head when out there alone.

Just take some precautions and you'll be fine.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »
I sometimes like riding alone.  The peacefullness of the woods around you can be soothing.  I like going to Santos on my own.  I take a cell phone and try not to ride over my head.  Just like Harvey said, if your careful, you'll be fine.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

naked indian

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 10:51:57 AM »

Good ideas.  Two questions:  When you used Google maps, do you use satellite or terrain maps?  And, I live just off the Bloomingdale (Valrico) Golf Course.  Are you familiar with this area?  I go to Boyette the most often because it's the closest to me.  But, I thought maybe you already know of some backyard trails/single track in that area.

Satellite maps, and better then google maps is google earth(per sandypine and he was right).  I have never even looked at maps of that area, but keep your eyes open, sometimes driving along you will see things and then you can investigate.  It helps if you have a gps based computer on your bike as well, cause you can ride into something, then back out and then put it on your pc later and look carefully at where you were.  I have found miles and miles of off and on road riding doing this (70 miles).  Come January, I plan on having an open invite for anyone that would like to experience the naked indian ride.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 11:25:26 AM »
I grew up in the Deltona area.  What parts of town does the Naked Indian 100 go through?

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
Hey Sean,
  I ride around my local neighborhood after work at night alot.  There is a construction project on boyette road right now that has given me a bunch of nice jumps and drops to play on, I go the other way on boyette and have a bunch of drainage ditches and wall ledges and curbs to ride, if I ride all 2 miles to 301, there is a wall drop of 2, 4 or 6 feet depending on where you hit it.  Also, there is a road in the woods where developement got foiled, I can ride from boyette springs to shadow run through an ald deserted black top road.  I look at google earth for ideas, but mostly just ride around and explore.  It is way scarier to ride on some of these side streets than alafias worst trails. 

naked indian

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I grew up in the Deltona area.  What parts of town does the Naked Indian 100 go through?

Starts in Deltona, near the Osteen Deltona border.  Goes thru deltona, into lake helen off road all the way, into cassadaga, where you hit some kick ass climbs and some dirt roads to single track back into deltona, into Orange City down the dirt roads across the tracks onto the new section of spring to spring cement trail, into the rail road service road for 5 miles, down into Orange city double track owned by the state park, onto Dutchman trail rd in debary, a couple of miles of that you hit the powerline trail further into debary thru the pit down a service road, continuing to the lake monroe park which starts the rest of the spring to spring trail back into deltona, we do some off roading further into deltona and then we hit the morality trail singletrack that takes us into enterprise, thru a dirt road into a old rail bed(future rail to trail) deeper into enterprise.  We then ride all the way into Osteen, and you can either, cut it short and finish at 52 miles or start the maytown road descent to pell rd which turns into a dirt extravaganza and you end up in samsula and take 415 back into deltona towards the start point.  All said and done 70 miles or so. ;)

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »
Damn that's one hell of a route!  I lived up there a long time and had no idea all of that was up there.  I'd love to hook up on that ride when you have it!

naked indian

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
I will post up the particulars, including the start location.  I will have maps and cue sheets and emergency phone numbers.  The ride is self supported but there are convenience stores along the way, as well on the cue sheet it will have recommendations as to what and where and when to fuel up.  As for price to do the ride, its free.  I may when we meet that morning in January ask for donations for beer and food if everyone wants to drink and eat afterwards.

Its a good time.

Im always coming up with new stuff as well, I have in the works an off  road route taking you from Osteen all the way to New smyrna.  I stay busy with stuff like that.

I dont have the Edge file anymore of the 52 mile version but im sure that Sandpine does, he may post it up.  Its cool what you can find when you look.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 12:34:06 PM »
I dont have the Edge file anymore of the 52 mile version but im sure that Sandpine does, he may post it up...
NK100 Ride Report = http://mrsandpine.blogspot.com/2008/05/da-naked-indian-ride.html  The route we took and trip info = http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=200196

I want to do this ride again when is not as hot.  That long never ending railroad trespassing don't stop or you get arrested or jumped on by thugs rocky road kicked my ass and punctured my rear tire big time.  No fun changing a flat in 100 degree heat while looking out for the railroad police   ;D  !  Ohhhh.. but the "simulated climbing"... geez.. He is not kididng about that.  Knee deep sand in some sections.  But for some crazy reason, somewhat enjoyable... LOL   This ride will be best with a couple of side stop at local watering holes (bars) ...  A few short sections where you will need your technical skillz.. I am sure Naked will add, and probably has already,  other interesting sections to enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:42:44 PM by SandPine »

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 01:42:08 PM »
I used to live off of Monument Drive!  That's only a block away from where it looks like you started.  Thanks for posting that Marcel.

Advertisement: