Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Boyette is spiteful!  (Read 2896 times)

Offline obelisk29

• First Bike
Boyette is spiteful!
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:50 PM »
OK so I have been riding for about two months and in those two months I've done about 258 miles so far. I'm getting pretty good at alot of the technical rides and my cardio has improved dramatically. I have a well established route at boyette and alafia of the rides I do.

I do SST, Loch Ness, Upper Loch, Randy's trail, Spider berm, North Abyss, Half of South Abyss, Pandemonium, All of South Abyss, Spur (For some nice air =), Golf cart, Gator Pit, Randy's trail, West Meadow, Baby Nessie, Inner Loch then finish up with SST. It generally takes me an hour and 15 minutes to complete. Well I have been improving and have at one time cleared everything except South Abyss and Pandemonium.

Well I was riding yesterday flying through everything, I felt like I was snowboarding and I was slaloming(spelling) through the trees. I generally have a minor spill early on in my ride, it actually loosens me up and i'm less nervous. But yesterday I didn't have one crash the entire time. I did dab on some climbs but other then that I was doing awesome.

Then on my way back on Inner Loch, Boyette decided that I was going too fast and doing too good to let me finish with a flawless victory. It magically threw a tree into my left handlebar on a left curved turn. Needless to say I overcorrected and before I knew it I was in the air flying over bushes and then SPLASH! Thankfully my bike hung up on a tree and my camelbak kept my cellphone from frying. Something knocked my contact lens into my eyelid, so I had to carry my bike back ontu the trail and fish a contact lens out of my eye. I then proceeded to accidentally drop the lens into the dirt and spent the next 5 minutes looking for it. I finally found it, washed it off, pulled the branch out my front tire and then realized that something had bit me on the back of my leg while I was looking for my contact. It formed a black spot and I still don't know what it was, I'm still alive at the time of this writing so it couldn't have been that bad.

Anyways I finished my ride soggy and dirty. And the feeling that Boyette is out to get me was strengthened!
Any of you guys have certain trails or parks that always throw curves at you =)
Live free, Ride hard!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Boyette is spiteful!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
Any of you guys have certain trails or parks that always throw curves at you =)

Croom.  Went down on the roots South of Tucker Hill before.  Slammed to the ground in the soft sand on the South Blue near the pits. Broke a toe rounding a turn not seeing a stump under the ferns.  Shoulder a tree getting a little over cooked in a turn.  Most recently laid out from biking from a spectacular crash with broken bones, bends, bruises, and torn muscles.  Love Croom though.  :-)

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »
There used to be an old tree stump sticking into the left side of the trail, on the first drop into North Abyss. I was out there cruising on a fun easy ride, dropped in and that stump clipped my left grip, instantly turning my front wheel 90 deg. and sending me piledriving into the ground. It was my first full-blown faceplant and I have a chipped front tooth to prove it.

I never understood how people could faceplant without getting their hands up in front of their face, until it happened to me. I actually jammed a finger because I was in the process of putting my hands up, but it happened so fast they didn't get all the way there.

Seems like it's the trails you know like the back of your hand that tend to bite the hardest.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »
That same one got me one day and sent me tumbling down towards the marsh.  A big Brazilian Pepper tree stopped me or I would have kept rolling.  :-)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »
santos gets me:

endoed into a tree on marshmellow hard enough to crack my helmet

fell off of magic mountain.....twice

supermanned off a stupid easy log crossing on a yellow in spider kingdom and broke a rib

I love riding santos though

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
There is this one log (only one in the whote trail named "Marcel's Log") at the famous "SandPine" trail at Alafia that gets me every time.   :o ;D ;D

The MENTAL challenges for me are: Boyette's BigDrop, drop into Shelly's loop where is eroded (that is about 75% of the time I visit it), angled 4-6 inch log on the 2nd (or is it first) hard option of Rock Garden in alafia.  The 2nd whoop on Bridges with that famous root at the bottom of the way up.  I make it 1 out of 2 times.  On north abyss is the big roots on the 2nd to last climb where we now built the easier climb out on the right side.   THe new steep drop on the first hard option of Rollercoaster.  Any sharp right turn on switchbacks (specially up north) with off camber turn gives me the wiggles. ON dowhills only.  right switchbacks on uphills no biggie.  No big problems on left turn switchbacks downhills either... hmmmm  I think on that is my normal unclipping on the left then the right. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 11:30:13 AM by SandPine »

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
I think the most painful accident I've had for the stupidest reason was at carter. I was going along at a pretty good clip and didn't notice a small sapling sticking out of the ground. It caught my front brake lever and modulated the brake pretty firmly. I came off the bike but the bike kept going and firmly planted my big chain ring into the back of my calf. I could barely finish the ride after that.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »
As far as painful incidents go......Rabbit ears....... :'( :'(  I just ride by it now. (for those who don't know, I spent 4.5 months last year on the couch)

Mental blocks::: :P:: That #$%^ing climb on Pandimonium that I got about a foot or so away from completing yesterday. This is a dramatic improvement, as i found myself on my back at the bottom of the hill several times.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
fell off of magic mountain.....twice

The second one was SPECTACTULAR!!! I wish I had been video taping it. He fell all of the way down the side!!!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »
As far as painful incidents go......Rabbit ears....... :'( :'(  I just ride by it now. (for those who don't know, I spent 4.5 months last year on the couch)

Mental blocks::: :P:: That #$%^ing climb on Pandimonium that I got about a foot or so away from completing yesterday. This is a dramatic improvement, as i found myself on my back at the bottom of the hill several times.

you fell over backwards again?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

you fell over backwards again?

Nope, stepped out a foot or so away from the top.....like an idiot.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:47:16 PM »

That was a dramatic looking fall. I know it didn't hurt and it looked worse than it was but it was kinda fun to see.  ;D That spot is one I have yet to conquer. Its all mental. For me Moonscape gives me the most trouble. Its frustrating. I just feel out of sync and off balance there. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline obelisk29

• First Bike
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
Tommorow I'm gonna face my fear of Carter Rd. It was the first trail I went to since I got my new bike and got back into biking. It was also my first day with clip in shoes. Needless to say I went into the lake twice. Thankfully it didn't ruin any of my bearings. I also fell off what felt like ten ridges because I couldn't get my feet out. Quite a horrific day for a newbie. But my skill have improved dramatically in the past 2 months and I'm gonna go show carter who's boss!! ;D
Live free, Ride hard!

Advertisement: