Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: I'm finally clipless!  (Read 7171 times)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
I'm finally clipless!
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
just won an auction on ebay for a pair of Diadora Ergo shoes. $52 shipped.
brand new, with toe spikes

can't wait to fall over in the parking lot in front of every one!!
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: I'm finally clipless!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:08:01 AM »
So why do they call it clipLESS when it does have a clip?? I have always wondered that..

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »
Did you get the cleats yet? if not you may want to buy those online as well. the cheapest I found them on ebay was $8 plus shipping. In the LBS you will pay $20 plus tax. Although I did buy mine SPD cleats at UBC on Fletcher for $12 I think, you may want to call them and ask.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
Did you get the cleats yet? if not you may want to buy those online as well. the cheapest I found them on ebay was $8 plus shipping. In the LBS you will pay $20 plus tax. Although I did buy mine SPD cleats at UBC on Fletcher for $12 I think, you may want to call them and ask.

Depending on who makes the cleats the bike shops should have them for $12, $16, or $20.  Now, as I do see the advantage of buying certain bike things online I also want to do my part to help keep the LBS in business and for them to keep replaceable parts in stock, so $8 plus shipping is no bargain when I can walk in and just get, that very day, what I am looking for.  I think we can all agree if we dodge the bike shops they won't have in stock those commonly replaceable things we use.  My thought is - if it's a blow out price the bike shops can't touch - go for it.  If the bike shop is reasonably close in price - I will help them stay in business because face it - we need them.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
So why do they call it clipLESS when it does have a clip?? I have always wondered that..

Clipless because it is hidden and you can't see the clip, or cleat.  Toe straps sometimes called "clipped in" because your foot goes in it as a strap is around your foot.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »
Gary...your showing your age by bringing up what we use to call toe clips.  Do they still have them?  Man there was nothing like sticking your feet under a plastic clip, and having those nice leather straps to keep your foot in there nice and snug.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »
just won an auction on ebay for a pair of Diadora Ergo shoes. $52 shipped.
brand new, with toe spikes

can't wait to fall over in the parking lot in front of every one!!

We can't wait to see it either!!! ;D

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

Depending on who makes the cleats the bike shops should have them for $12, $16, or $20.  Now, as I do see the advantage of buying certain bike things online I also want to do my part to help keep the LBS in business and for them to keep replaceable parts in stock, so $8 plus shipping is no bargain when I can walk in and just get, that very day, what I am looking for.  I think we can all agree if we dodge the bike shops they won't have in stock those commonly replaceable things we use.  My thought is - if it's a blow out price the bike shops can't touch - go for it.  If the bike shop is reasonably close in price - I will help them stay in business because face it - we need them.

I agree, i'd rather spend the extra few bucks locally. if it's MUCH cheaper online, then i'll go online
Joe

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »
Like I said, the cheapest I found them from a LBS was UBC... Everyone else was $20 for the same cleats (Wellgo). I checked AJ's, Olivers, Carrolwood, Tampa Schwinn, and UBC.....

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »
Gary...your showing your age by bringing up what we use to call toe clips.  Do they still have them?  Man there was nothing like sticking your feet under a plastic clip, and having those nice leather straps to keep your foot in there nice and snug.

A buddy of mine still rides with the old style straps. Tried clipless and never felt comfortable so he switched back. He's a pretty good rider and it works for him.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 02:34:31 PM »

A buddy of mine still rides with the old style straps. Tried clipless and never felt comfortable so he switched back. He's a pretty good rider and it works for him.

Yea, a buddy of mine still uses them too.  He has knee issues and he says they work much better for him than the clipless do.  And yes, you can still buy them in different degrees of quality.
:-)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 08:04:11 AM »
Slowy you can always ride with me your first time.  I always fall over in the parking lot.  matter of fact fell on my truck Sunday.  Im sure to deflect attention from you. 

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
well, i paid for the shoes saturday, the lady said her husband sent them monday afternoon, they are in Maine. i didn't get them today, hopefully they'll show up saturday. ain't no way i'm doing the club ride with less than a day's practice, lol.
had a surprise meeting tuesday at 2:50 too, which pissed me off cuz the shimano cleats auction ended at 3. they sold for $12 shipped.
AJ's has wellgo and rockwell(??) for $19.99

which cleats should i get?
Joe

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 05:29:33 AM »
Slowy Let me know when you are ready for your first ride.  I'll teach about fainting goat syndrome.....No charge! ;D

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »
shoes came in. not 'new', but barely used at all. picking up the cleats tomorrow from Darrin (thanks Darrin!).
i'm thinking i'm gonna put the pedals on the Rincon and ride it around the neighborhood for a little bit before putting the pedals on the Anthem (Anthem has the panaracers, Rincon has BS bald knobbies, don't wanna ride around the hood on the panaracers, lol)

i think it was BillT who said that insoles make a world of difference, where can i find them? what is a good brand (or does it matter) ?
Joe

Advertisement: