Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Eric O down  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Eric O down
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »
Some of you know, and have ridden with, Eric Odenweller of Sarasota.  He took a bad fall before the benches on South Abyss landing in a clump at the bottom of the drop and dislocated his shoulder. 

Couple docs on the ride told him he couldn't ride a bike for a while.  They set him up with a sling out of an inner tube and he got on his bike and rode it to the parking lot. (Why don't we just sit there and wait for EMS?)  Because hurt is hurt I guess.

I don't know if any of ya'll have ever dislocated a shoulder, but it HURTS!  I don't think he is signed up in this forum, but you could send some get well vibes to ejosrq at verizon dot net.

Okay folks, this crashing crap?  It needs to stop!  Or at least lets get some folks out of the injured reserve list before anymore join the ranks.

Smooth rides to all.  :-)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Eric O down
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:58:38 PM »
I don't know how much difference there is between seperating a shoulder and dislocating it. I had a 3rd degree seperation a little over 2 years ago, hurts like hell! I was back MTB'ing 2 weekends later, albeit slowly and gingerly at times. My ortho told me I couldn't do it any more damage, as long as I didn't crash again! Get well soon!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »
ejosrq is his name on the forum.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:36:34 AM »
I've dislocated my shoulder twice and believe it or not, bike riding was one of the things I could do without any pain.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »
I was riding in the group with Eric.  It was fortunate that there was a doctor riding nearby, and he gave him a pretty good looking-over.  Had him lift his arm, checked his range of motion and checked to see if he could offer resistance when he pressed against his hand while held up.  I thought that the doc said he did not think it was dislocated or separated (based on the things he could still do with his arm), but he did have a bit of a knot on top of the shoulder and the doc told him to go to the ER and get looked at.  He also cracked his helmet, so I imagine he hit more than his shoulder on impact....
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »
I was riding in the group with Eric.  It was fortunate that there was a doctor riding nearby, and he gave him a pretty good looking-over.  Had him lift his arm, checked his range of motion and checked to see if he could offer resistance when he pressed against his hand while held up.  I thought that the doc said he did not think it was dislocated or separated (based on the things he could still do with his arm), but he did have a bit of a knot on top of the shoulder and the doc told him to go to the ER and get looked at.  He also cracked his helmet, so I imagine he hit more than his shoulder on impact....

That description sounds a lot like my broken collarbone from several years back.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
Eric here, alive and well - other than a shoulder seperation, and yes, it hurts like a bitch. Doctor said it was minor on the scale of things you can do wrong to your shoulder and I'll live to ride another day. I like how they say, "you'll be fine, just don't do it again," as if I really wanted to do it in the first place! Thanks again for all the help and support. All the more reason I ride with a great group of people like the SWAMP club.   
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »
Glad to hear it's not real serious (other than the "hurts like a bitch" part).
All of us that were riding with you were pretty concerned.
Hope you heal up soon.
Take care.

Jim
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »
Eric here, alive and well - other than a shoulder seperation, and yes, it hurts like a bitch. Doctor said it was minor on the scale of things you can do wrong to your shoulder and I'll live to ride another day. I like how they say, "you'll be fine, just don't do it again," as if I really wanted to do it in the first place! Thanks again for all the help and support. All the more reason I ride with a great group of people like the SWAMP club.   

You mean you didn't plan it? :-\

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 12:09:58 PM »

Just do as much stuff as you can to strengthen it back up. Mine rarely ever bothers me now, just clicks and pops some once in awhile. Glad to hear your ok, could have been worse.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »
Sounds like you're on the road to recovery.  In Sarasota, the Hand/Schofield group are pretty good orthopedic guys.  I saw Schofield a couple weeks back for what ended up being a torn rotar cuff - the souvenir from my endo on Abyss during my first ride w/ Swamp with the B- group.  (Where are the beginner's whoops?? ;D ;D)  Glad to hear it wasn't something worse.

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »
slowfatguy,
I've got plenty of "clicks and pops" as it is now - so what's one more.

FLbunEhugR,
I saw Dr. Schofield this morning. Nice enough Doc and all. Even when I pressed him for options, he recommended doing nothing. I guess I'll choose nothing then.
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:12:24 PM »
Schofield is good. If he does eventually suggest PT, I know of a good one here in Sarasota.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »
You think he'd give us a discount if we just stapled his card on a tree out at Abyss??

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
Get well soon Eric.

Kenny
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Advertisement: