Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike stolen in NE St. Pete  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Bike stolen in NE St. Pete
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »
Thought I would post this here in case someone may see it and can help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey SWAMPERS.... This morning at 5am my garage was the unfortunate victim of a robbery where my trusty steed was ruthlessly stolen! Thought I'd send out an APB in case anyone sees some toothless crackhead riding around on a $3500 mtn bike.... $100 reward, no questions asked....

Santa Cruz Blur XC.... All Red w Panaracer Fire Red sidewall tires. Specialized Alias 155mm seat. Easton EA50 long stem & Easton EA50 seatpost. Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser bars. Full Shimano XT group w CrankBrothers eggbeater pedals. Fox R100RLC fork.... Size Large.

I'm sure it is already gone to crackpipe heaven, but thought it couldn't hurt to spread the word. I'm in Old NE St. Pete......

Ride on..... Me on the good old Jekyl now.... Sniff sniff...

Peace-
Jared

Jared R. Repka
Bison Financial Group
Ph: 727-289-4400
Email: jared@bisonfinancial.com
Web: www.bisonfinancial.com

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Bike stolen in NE St. Pete
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »
Check the following over the next couple of days:

Craigs list
Ebay
Local bike shops
Local pawn shops

Unless the person stole it to rip some singletrack, it'll end up in one of those places sooner or later.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:20:22 PM »
That sucks!

The chances are the theif doesn't even know the value of what the stole. Yet.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »
with aluminum recycling going for .80 cents a pound I guess they could get a fix off of that..   That is always my fear.

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »
with aluminum recycling going for .80 cents a pound I guess they could get a fix off of that..   That is always my fear.

Sounds like a good reason to go carbon...   :D
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »
You should be able file it under your homeowners insurance.  There should not be a limit for theft of stolen property.  You could replace it with a new one. ;D
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »
You should be able file it under your homeowners insurance.  There should not be a limit for theft of stolen property.  You could replace it with a new one. ;D

I was going to mention that. Hopefully you have a receipt and maybe some pictures to provide proof of value. Some policies will pay the replacement cost, while others will simply pay a flat amount for a bicycle, any bicycle. Check out your policy.

Most companies will offer a rider that will not be very costly, that will cover an usually high value item like a purpose built bike, or even an expensive set of golf clubs.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »
Hey -- Can you describe the circumstances of the burglary? Was the garage locked? Was the bike locked in the garage? Is it an attached garage? Was anyone home? I only ask because I often wonder what the best way to keep my bike safe without leaving it in the kitchen all the time. Thanks.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:47:05 AM »
Hey -- Can you describe the circumstances of the burglary? Was the garage locked? Was the bike locked in the garage? Is it an attached garage? Was anyone home? I only ask because I often wonder what the best way to keep my bike safe without leaving it in the kitchen all the time. Thanks.

I don't know his exact circumstances of how the garage was accessed, but I would say even in the garage I would have a heavy duty cable and lock holding my bike to something very stationary.  Thing is, if someone wants something bad enough they will take it.  Most any precaution is a deterrent.  I have a nice looking floor to ceiling rack for my bikes that I keep in a separated section of my living room.  It means I have to keep the bikes clean and the gear neatly stored, but I feel it's safer inside and out of sight than out where a passerby can glance and see them and be tempted to grab at first chance.  Even covering the bikes so they can't be seen if they have to be kept in the garage is some help.  Out of sight; out of mind.

Advertisement: