Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Gatorback  (Read 8365 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Gatorback
« on: September 21, 2008, 12:45:36 AM »
Is there anyone out there who can currently (Sept 2008) tackle all of the uphills on Gatorback? My buddy and I have been trying for some time but the uphill with the starting pavers & 2x6 erosion barrier to the right doesn't seem doable to us.Also,the crazy sharp banked left to majorly rooted SUPER long climb just after the second ridgeline boardwalk and towards the end of the trail owns us every time. Just today we stayed there 30 mins + and didn't even get up a third of it.
Even more so, has anyone finished it clean?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Gatorback
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
all the time. It is tough, but that is what Gatorback is supposed to be. :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:11:17 PM »
It had been a couple months but i rode it again Friday.  I have cleaned it in the past but after the summer rains i walked up 2 hills and had a brush with death on the rocky down hill with the cabbage palm to the right.  The climb that has a small almost vertical climb that you make a 90 deg right and on up got me by suprise but should be doable.  The one after the 2nd boardwald and sharp left hand is a beast, definently need to find a new line.  The lack of available momentum and larger exposure of roots almost lends itself to a line to the far left, though that may be riding out of the intended area.  All in all, I think gatorback has held up better than moonscape through the summer.  Alafia in general is a much more techinial ride than it was in April.  Not that that is a bad thing or lack any trail work, just the cycle of the seasons.  Things are starting to dry out well and i'm sure with FTF around the corner, a few new lines and the hard pack are in the works.   

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:32:42 AM »
The hill climb with the 90deg right turn onto a boardwalk is definitely doable. I did it on a 43lb monster. However, after that...the hill climb with the pavers/2x6 erosion block gets me every single time.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:26:19 AM »
  We did gatorback yesterday last, and it was tough.  I spun out on the up that has pavers up to a rootwall, but cleaned everything else.  The climb with the switchback and cool bridge at the top stopped some of my friends, so I had to lean on a tree halfway up without unclipping.  My buddy called that a dab and I was willing to accept it, but it really made the climb harder.  Rode the bridge at the top too.  I also made the climb that goes up to a little open meadow at the top, that might really be the worst of those climbs for me with the funky roots and loose dirt at the bottom.  Now and then I can clean the entire trail, but not too often.  I also made the steep climb on the back of shellys loop yesterday which thrilled me, I have not made that climb in about 2 months.
  The only climb in the park I have not ever made is the climb to the high ridge on the end of moonscape.  It is an alternate line and goes left up to a tree with a nasty root wall.  I saw Dave, the owner of winterhaven bikes make it one time, he is the only one I ever saw make it though.  Props.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:36:47 AM »
Dave is an aminal though, an aminal I tell ya! (yes I misspelled animal on purpose, laugh)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »
All of those climbs are really tough right now. With all the ruts and rocks... it is really challenging. I need to ride it with a full battery charge to even have  half a chance of making the climbs, most of which I walked last time through last week.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:01 AM »
the paver gatorback climb is at the end of this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7550261624228980771&hl=en

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
dave is an animal, or at least part squirrel.  That video was fun, and that last climb is the one that stumped me yesterday.  Does it goes to a descent with palm trees on either side?  That down got one of my friends yesterday with all the loose rocks.

And Jay, we sure missed riding with you guys yesterday.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
Little bit of confusion on a few of the responses, I can totally make the long climb to 180 degree right turn to optional board walk around the tree. The first time I tried it though I fell off to the right just missing that giant hole and ended up on my feet on the trail below. Should have seen the look on my buddies face.
The one that is really killing my self esteem is directly after the shelf boardwalk that overlooks the swamp. There is a very small drop to get some speed and then you have to make and immediate 90+ degree left banked turn  only to start fighting with a ton of roots & rocks. If due to some kind of super human strength you make it all the way to the top there is a small clearing/meadow and a couple of huge pine trees.
Once I was totally burnt out my buddy placed a rock at the first large root to act as a ramp (I know ,may as well just put training wheels on my bike). This did help quite a bit but by that time I was so over it. As a matter of fact I'm starting to tear up again just thinking about last Saturday so I better sign off before things get ugly.
p.s. Was that video shot just after the Gatorback work day? Conditions look much different to me but I may be in denial. I vote for grip tape covered boardwalks and pavers throughout the entire park. I'd also like a shuttle or maybe a monorail from the parking lot to each of the trail entrances.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
The short drop and left steep rocky climb where a Pine tree awaits you IMO is the toughest climb. I made it on my full suspension and geared bike but never on my rigid singlespeed.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:22:04 AM »
Little bit of confusion on a few of the responses, I can totally make the long climb to 180 degree right turn to optional board walk around the tree. The first time I tried it though I fell off to the right just missing that giant hole and ended up on my feet on the trail below. Should have seen the look on my buddies face.
The one that is really killing my self esteem is directly after the shelf boardwalk that overlooks the swamp. There is a very small drop to get some speed and then you have to make and immediate 90+ degree left banked turn  only to start fighting with a ton of roots & rocks. If due to some kind of super human strength you make it all the way to the top there is a small clearing/meadow and a couple of huge pine trees.
Once I was totally burnt out my buddy placed a rock at the first large root to act as a ramp (I know ,may as well just put training wheels on my bike). This did help quite a bit but by that time I was so over it. As a matter of fact I'm starting to tear up again just thinking about last Saturday so I better sign off before things get ugly.
p.s. Was that video shot just after the Gatorback work day? Conditions look much different to me but I may be in denial. I vote for grip tape covered boardwalks and pavers throughout the entire park. I'd also like a shuttle or maybe a monorail from the parking lot to each of the trail entrances.

That video was shot in June. Before the rainy season. I was the one behind the camera.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
I have yet to climb that on the 29 SS....I haven't attempted it yet

I will give gatorback another go after the next race

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »
I must admit that I am somewhat ignorant to the fact that people were actually riding SS on anything other than flatwoods or some of the beginner to low end intermidiate trails at Alafia/boyette. Am I correct in assuming that this is the next step after you've basically mastered everything with your geared rig? Maybe just and excuse to hang another bike in the garage? Latest thing everyone is giving a try? For training purposes only?
This forum is opening my eyes to say the least. I guess I should start reading my bike magazines instead of looking at the pics.  I will check the bike forum for info on this instead of getting off the subject. I know it is a bit annoying when people do that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:53:13 AM by catman »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »
I am doing it more for training...I am going to complete this season's races on a SS and train on it throughout the winter and then next year make a decision based on my progress.  Others just enjoy the simplicity of it...it is a very different experience that I have enjoyed so far.

Advertisement: