Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: DA RULES (READ THIS)  (Read 1448 times)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
DA RULES (READ THIS)
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »
I encourage everyone that posts on this site to re read the rules that govern this board.  They can be found here
http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,2175.0.html

Read them until you understand them please.  Especially the part about multiple user names.  There is no reason that anyone on this board should need multiple user names.  People who create multiple user names usually do so to deceive or create havoc.  To avoid this they are not allowed.  Remember you risk having all your user names banned and your IP blocked if the mod teams feels it is necessary.

For those of you who may have inadvertently created multiple accounts, please PM Gregg, Garry or myself with the use names you would like inactivated and we will take care of disabling them.

Thank you for understanding.

EDIT:  Will will not ban your main account if you PM us at this time.  Our intention is not to go around banning people for being honest.  We realize that sometimes the rules are overlooked or forgotten and this post just serves as a friendly reminder.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:39:00 PM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: DA RULES (READ THIS)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:38:30 AM »
Sean and All Moderators,
Thanks for the friendly reminder.  I totally understand what you need to do and why.  But I sure hope you don't get into the ip banning business.  I have been in that situation before on another board where I was the Forum Manager.  It is a nightmare.  You can't keep peeps out if they want to come in.  We now live in a world of dynamic IP's.  All they have to do is disconnect their cable/isp router or modem and they will be served a different IP then they can register again under another name.  Not to mention wi-fi conenctions where users move around all the time.  Even cell phone connections now.  With a little networking knowledge, anyone can broadcast their internal ip on the fly (i.e 192.168.1.x) and do that all day just to cuase havoc.  It is an endless nightmare.  You can start banning subnets but that is just going to keep good peeps out that could potentially be within the same subnet that you banned.  PLEASE, don't go there.

Thanks for the moderation job and glad someone does keep an eye out.  If you do have to banned peeps, please give them more then one warning.  Usually one hand slap is all it takes to fix things.  If more needed then maybe the person does need to be banned.

Now come on... LET"S GO RIDE!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:41:07 AM by SandPine »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »
Sean and All Moderators,
Thanks for the friendly reminder.  I totally understand what you need to do and why.  But I sure hope you don't get into the ip banning business.  I have been in that situation before on another board where I was the Forum Manager.  It is a nightmare.  You can't keep peeps out if they want to come in.  We now live in a world of dynamic IP's.  All the have to do is disconnect their cable/isp router and they will be served a different IP then they can register again under another name.  Not to mention wi-fi conenctions where users move around all the time.  Even cell phone connections now.  It is an endless nightmare.  You can start banning subnets but that is just going to keep good peeps out that could potentially be within the same subnet that you banned.  PLEASE, don't go there.

Thanks for the moderation job and glad someone does keep an eye out.  If you do have to banned peeps, please give them more then one warning.  Usually one hand slap is all it takes to fix things.  If more needed then maybe the person does need to be banned.

Now come on... LET"S GO RIDE!!!

ban sandpine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:44:59 AM »
...ban sandpine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will now be lapped twice at PineLog Mr. Leroy....   ;D

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:52:45 AM »
Mac-address bans are always interesting. Then again, I know how to change that as well. Lets not give any bad people ideas.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »
Lets not get to far out here.  This is a really great board with excellent users.  I don't think that we have that bad of a problem that bannings are going to occur.  We saw an issue and we thought we would just remind people of the rules that's all.  It is easy to forget some of the more obscure rules but as our community grows it is important for us to enforce all rules so the board continues to be a friendly and fun place.  IP bans are bans of last resort, there is no need for us to go there now or in the foreseeable future.

Thanks 
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
...ban sandpine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will now be lapped twice at PineLog Mr. Leroy....   ;D

I could get lapped twice and still be less than 10 miles behind you...isn't it a short loop?

my goal at pine log is to ave 10mph - that way I get my first century and I have a 2 hour cushion for pits/mechanicals

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »
I pee at many addresses but use only one user name.

Advertisement: