Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ride or Run...What to do...  (Read 1435 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Ride or Run...What to do...
« on: September 25, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »
Just about the time my ankle is getting healed up enough to ride I get hit with a nasty cold. It's pretty much knocked me on my ass. I missed work yesterday and still feel like crap today. I was planning on hitting up Boyette this weekend but I'm not sure I'll be up for it now. If I do go it'll have to be easy going. Not only has the ankle and cold effected my riding but it's also hit my marathon training pretty hard. I was planning on following a training program that would get me up to speed enough to run the entire thing. My chances of that are pretty slim now. I was able to complete a half marathon earlier this year without any training (slow going) but 13 miles doesn't even compare to 26. I think I'd kill myself trying it without any training.

Maybe I'll just forget about the marathon and put running on the back burner for now. I have some riding goals that I'd like to meet this year anyways...well...maybe not this year but within the next year. Then again, the running might help me reach some of my riding goals.

What do y'all think? I'm signed up for the Disney Marathon on Jan, 11th 2009. Should I continue training for it and try to finish it? Or should I just forget about it and concentrate on riding? Here's my futile effort at a list of goals - http://tread29.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-riding-goals.html. I'm mostly concerned with the endurance ride goals.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Ride or Run...What to do...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Personally I hate running, but that's me. 3 months is more than enough time to train for an event, so I guess it's just a matter of what you want to do.

I'd like to say that if you concentrate on running and keep mixing some rides in you'd be fine to hit the winter 50 milers, but I know nothing about how running training converts to cycling. Seems to me that cardio endurance is cardio endurance no matter how you get it. You gain effeciency and muscle memory by concentrating on a specific discipline.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
I used to run a lot. I did a half marathon 3 years ago. But I found it actualy hurt my riding. The good was: 1)Kept my weight down 2)Helped lower my heart rate. The bad: 1)my legs seemed to have a hard time when I got back on the bike 2)I wasn't able to emulate the multi hour rides that I was participating in. That being said there are many fast and very good riders that run. The athletes that compete in tris seem to adapt to doing both. I would think that the bike would be better on your ankle than running.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 05:08:07 PM »
well Im far from a runner.  But I have been doing some running mostly trail running.  I started easy and I am proud of myself ran 4 miles the other day non stop and didnt even get out of breath.  I got bored so I started going faster.  I do feel the cardio translates cause I have never been a runner at all but I seem to be off to a good start, which I lend to cycling.  What I can tell you for sure is that it is Way harder on the body then riding...

Anthem1

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »
I use to do the 5K thing but starting riding to save the body, the cardio benefits of both carry over and can only help. I have been actively paddling with the Teco Black dragon boat team and found the aerobic capacity gained from running and riding has benefited my paddling endurance where a typical race is 500 meters and equates to about 150 strokes at a rate of 70 to 120 strokes a minute out of the hole. Anybody looking for an upper body work out, I highly recommend Dragon Boat racing which is the fastest growing team sport in the world. The Tampa Bay Blade Runners has a A and B team which paddles out of the Channel side Marriott if you are interested. Tampa will be hosting the 2011 Dragon Boat World Championship at this venue, should be BIG :o

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »
i like riding rather than running. when your running and get tired and stop... you're just standing there being hot, baking in the sun. when your riding and get tired and stop pedaling, you can still caost :)
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline 41ants

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Do you know Kenji?

I use to do the 5K thing but starting riding to save the body, the cardio benefits of both carry over and can only help. I have been actively paddling with the Teco Black dragon boat team and found the aerobic capacity gained from running and riding has benefited my paddling endurance where a typical race is 500 meters and equates to about 150 strokes at a rate of 70 to 120 strokes a minute out of the hole. Anybody looking for an upper body work out, I highly recommend Dragon Boat racing which is the fastest growing team sport in the world. The Tampa Bay Blade Runners has a A and B team which paddles out of the Channel side Marriott if you are interested. Tampa will be hosting the 2011 Dragon Boat World Championship at this venue, should be BIG :o

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »
Do I know Kenji? Uh yeah it's kind of hard to miss the muscle bound freak at the front of the boat screaming PADDLE ;D Seriously tho Kenji is great, and having just recently returned from Dragon Boat Scool :D He is a wealth of knowledge :)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 07:44:59 AM »
Well I think I've officially decided to forget about the Marathon. I'd rather be riding!

Advertisement: