Author Topic: How much protein does we need?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
How much protein does we need?
« on: March 20, 2009, 04:20:40 PM »
How may grams of protein is someone supposed to consume?  Someone  was yakking at me as we were going down the Boyette two track about body fat? or body mass index minus something and thats how many grams of protein one is supposed to consume per day.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: How much protein does we need?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 04:43:24 PM »
If you get the farts back off on the protein a little bit.  ;-)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
If you get the farts back off on the protein a little bit.  ;-)

LOL...that's always a good indicator
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »
There is a lot of Truth in things like this. I was looking more for a base formula calculating grams and  such, more than this real world trail experience test. Inconsistencies in variables could also skewer the gas test results. For example. too much fruit could also lead to fasle positives  for this protein / gas test.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:32:50 AM »
There is a lot of Truth in things like this. I was looking more for a base formula calculating grams and  such, more than this real world trail experience test. Inconsistencies in variables could also skewer the gas test results. For example. too much fruit could also lead to fasle positives  for this protein / gas test.  ;D
When I lost my excess weight and feeling my strongest on the bike, not to mention least muscle soreness after rigorous exercise, I was hovering around 17 to 20 grams of protein per meal.  My fluctuating weight was between 183 and 188 at 6'2", if that helps.

Offline Jonesy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/tdmar2007pg30.shtml
I found this article to very informative on recovery. It recomends 1.2-1.5 grams per KG of weight.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

Very clever....^^^^^^^ ;) 8)

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
Depends on your goal. There is a finite limit to how much protein your body can even metabolize. For example if you consumed 75 grams of protein a day by consuming two or more protein shakes. Your body will take out what it can the rest will pass as waste....and yes...you will be wicked gassy. It just passes out harmless like too much vitamin c. Your body doesn't store excess protein like fat. It takes what it is capable of using and the rest is gone.
So if you are a slug who never exercizes and you take in 50 grams you wont use all 50 and your body will pass the rest.
If you are active and burn enough calories and don't maintain body fat, then your body will consume muscle and will utilize all or most of the 50 grams of protein.
Active or not there is a limit. When I used to train more vigorously I would take in about 75 grams at least to guarantee I'd always be over what my body will use. For you it will be similar 50-75 grams max usage.
And in conclusion if you are a marathon runner/trainer it is possible to take in 75 grams a day and still have your body consume muscle...hence the anorexic appearance of distance runners.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline jakethesnake0413

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:53:14 AM »
It depends on what you are after.  A general rule of thumb to help muscle recovery and to maintain and build muscle is 1g per lb.  I hover around 175lbs and when I maintain 175g of protein a day, I look and feel my best.  If I increase the amount of protein I consume when I am hitting the weights hard, I always get bigger.  Consuming 175-200g's of protein each day requires you to pay attention to what you eat and to constantly think about what you are going to eat for the day.  I often find myself eating right throughout the work week and when it comes to the weekend, I miss meals, etc.  I consume two protein shakes a day, just mix the whey with water, and that always ensures me of 50g.  If I am going to work out, run, ride, then I take a shake before and after.  On my workout/exercise days, I have 100g taken care of right there.  I try to take a casein shake the same way before bed which is another 25g per serving.  For lunch I try to eat some chicken or fish or steak and the same for dinner to complete what is required.  I usually snack twice a day around 10 and 3, and for the snacks I eat some fruit and almonds, sometimes a yogurt, and most of the time a south beach or fiber 1 bar. Each night I also eat a fiber 1 yogurt as well to help manage my weight.  On the go, I opt for a mcdonalds honey mustard grilled snack wrap with no cheese.  Wendy's also has them and I will sometimes get their chili also.  Hope this helps. 
Black on Black Trek 4300, GSXR 750, and TBSS

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »
.8-1 gram per pound is about right....if you are working out hard...I am taking in about 190 gr a day and it is really helping with the building of lean muscle...a month into the gym workouts and I have dropped down to about 22% body fat from 31%.  the lean muscle that is getting added on is also helping to burn more fat...it is a double bonus...get stronger and weight less

that really helps the kilo/watt (this determines how fast you can ride a bike)

today is the first time I tried doing any harder longer climbs and I couldn't believe how much a difference it made being 27 pounds lighter..and stronger on those long sandy climbs at croom.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 09:36:07 PM »
When I lost my excess weight and feeling my strongest on the bike, not to mention least muscle soreness after rigorous exercise, I was hovering around 17 to 20 grams of protein per meal.  My fluctuating weight was between 183 and 188 at 6'2", if that helps.

I'm 183 at 5'10...........God I must be a lard ass. :'(
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.