Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How do you clean your bike after some riding?  (Read 4649 times)

Offline jjoohhnn

• First Bike
How do you clean your bike after some riding?
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
Curious to see what other people do to clean their bikes after a dirty ride.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: How do you clean your bike after some riding?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »
All purpose cleaner or equipment polish purchased at your LBS or furniture polish,Thats what I use but
everyone does something different  ::)

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
I hose it off with water, and use a toothbrush to get the grime out of the drivetrain. Once it dries I spray some teflon based lubricant on any contact points.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 08:06:38 PM »
Let the mud dry, and wipe it off with a soft brush.  Clean and lubricate the chain and components, and finish it off with some polish. 

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »
High pressure hose..be sure to aim at all the bearings  ;D

Light water spray, sponge with some mild detergent, degrease drivetrain and use a stiff bristle brush to get the junk off, bounce it a couple of times to get rid of excess water once complete.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »
Bill....you forgot the GT85 soak prior to the high pressure wash!  :)

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:47:17 PM »
Bill....you forgot the GT85 soak prior to the high pressure wash!  :)

and WD40 is the perfect lube.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »
Every 5 rides or so I spray her down with with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water and rinse with water followed by a shot of spray lube on all moving parts. Between the thorough wash I use a 3" dry paint brush starting at the top and working my down wisking her clean :) The coolest trick I picked up was to use a 20 ounce water bottle 1'4 full of degreaser, insert chain and shake allow to soak and repeat a few times. This makes a chain look like new. I then spray the chain with a spray lube followed by a thorough drying followed by a wax lube and your good to go :) P.S. I am running a 7701 Shimano chain with the Sram powerlink for easy removal.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »
Take to local gas station and run through automatic car wash, make sure to hold your breath. ;)

Ok not really, I use simple green, and a brush. Rinse with a soft stream of water. Dry and polish as needed. I use Rock and Roll Blue to lube in up.

Offline jjoohhnn

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
Good stuff. I spray it off with a hose if its muddy. Then I hit my drivetrain with some motorcycle chain cleaner (stuff is absolutely awesome, blasts grime away that you usually need a wire brush for). Then I lube the drivetrain up with some spray on motorcycle 611 lube. Thats about it.

Anthem1

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
Just be careful where you direct that cleaner, if it find's it's way into your bottom Bracket, hub's, suspension pivots, etc: it will actually drive lubricant out of these area's :P

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »
Every weekend after rides, I un-bolt, clean, and repack all bearing pivots. Remove chain, chainring, and cassette and simple green scrub them down. Clean them and rinse em until they are super shiny. Every month or so when I hit some bad water, I will remove the BB and completely take it apart. I am going to soon change the springs/oil in my front fork once I get the parts.

I use to spray mine with water, after I realized all of the water getting into my pivots and causing some orange rust on my pivot bolts...I xnayed that idea.

Then again, I really love tearing down and rebuilding my bike in my free time.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
I'm glad I don't have a Kona, that is too much work! I kid, I kid! :D

I don't clean it very often. I clean the drivetrain after every ride. Once in a while if the drivetrain is really nasty I spray it down with simple green and rinse. If it was a muddy ride I gently rinse the bike at home, and wipe it down and some polish. But the majority of the time the chain gets a wipe down with prolink and that's about it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:25 AM »

I don't clean it very often. I clean the drivetrain after every ride. Once in a while if the drivetrain is really nasty I spray it down with simple green and rinse. If it was a muddy ride I gently rinse the bike at home, and wipe it down and some polish. But the majority of the time the chain gets a wipe down with prolink and that's about it.

I love it. I removed the pivot bearings lastnight and will be replacing them with some EnduroMAX bearings. Hopefully that will make her buttery smooth. As far as the amount of work, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have even been tossing around the idea of actually doing it for others as a small side job.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »
Just be careful where you direct that cleaner, if it find's it's way into your bottom Bracket, hub's, suspension pivots, etc: it will actually drive lubricant out of these area's :P

Very true!

The pogo stick on that Cannondale is self cleaning.... ;) ;D 

Advertisement: