Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: DIY landscaping---needs advice  (Read 2029 times)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
DIY landscaping---needs advice
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »
I am redoing our landscaping and would like to hear previous experiences and professional opinion on the following;

- how to prepare area to prevent/minimize weed growing.
- where to get mulch locally (I live south of Wesley Chapel).
- types of plants and shrubs (preferably native to Florida) and where to buy them.

Instead of paying a professional, which is the best way to do it, the money instead goes for a future bike project.

So, help out your fellow struggling bike addict ;D

Thanks in advance.

moriSSon

Offline Wesley Chiu

• First Bike
Re: DIY landscaping---needs advice
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »
To control weed use landscaping fabric. You can get them at Homedepo or Lowes.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/weedsdiseases/ss/weed_fabrics.htm

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
Morisson, try some African Iris.  They have some very pretty blooms.  Also try some Pygmy Date Palms or Robalinis.  It's the same plant, just known by both names. 
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 03:26:33 PM »
Morisson, try some African Iris.  They have some very pretty blooms.  Also try some Pygmy Date Palms or Robalinis.  It's the same plant, just known by both names. 

I have both of these and they do very well. I also have irrigation, but don't run it very much. As for the fabric I'd get the good stuff that is more like a cloth, I think it it made by 3M. I had some other stuff that was more like a plastic and it didn't work nearly as well. Some other flowers that grow real well are the plumbegos, have a nice light blue flower and they grow and flower almost all year around. Bougenville bushes also do really well, but they will get huge!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »
I love lantana, just planted some more in my yard.  you see it all the time in the trails too, it is all over alafia in 3 or 4 different colors.  there is a native plant nursery in apollo beach, forgot the name.  That bouganvilla(sp?) is good, it grows like a weed even with no water but is hell to trim with those big monster spikes.  i dug up some native cacti from a field up the road and they are doing real well in my yard with no water at all.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »
I have mixed thought on how to control the weeds, the professional says you have to treat the ground with pesticides and let it sit for at least 48 hours after you prep the area, but I was thinking of just using a cloth weed barrier (after pulling the weeds and prep of course) and place at least 4" of mulch on top.

I have the African Iris on my list to be used close to the foundation.

Some other flowers that grow real well are the plumbegos, have a nice light blue flower and they grow and flower almost all year around. Bougenville bushes also do really well, but they will get huge!
I don't hink Plumbagos are native to Florida though, I have to check on that. Yeah, bouganville are sketchy when you have kids who wandered around the yard.

there is a native plant nursery in apollo beach, forgot the name.
Is this the one off US301 on the way to Boyette?

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
cardboard boxes from a dumpster behind your local stores are a great weed block under your mulch. Very green too!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 05:13:24 PM »
cardboard boxes from a dumpster behind your local stores are a great weed block under your mulch. Very green too!
Good point. I am also thinking of just use newspapers but afraid when it rots it will become haven for weeds.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »
round up is great!!

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »
I believe that the USF Botanical Gardens annual fall sale is next weekend.  They always have a few vendors including native plant nurseries that can give advice and would love to take your money. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »
I was going to mention the lantana, but Erik beat me to it. Mexican heather, mexican petunia are 2 more good ones.

I've never tried the carboard or newspaper. I used that grey matting when I did my patio out back 3 years ago and still don't have any weeds though.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: