Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Fenders and rear rack opinions  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Nullifier

• First Bike
Fenders and rear rack opinions
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »
Ok so my G.F. Hoo Koo E Koo has been doing me proud commuting back and forth to work across Flatwoods. However as I make upgrades to the bike I discover new upgrades are needed. Funny how that works huh! Anyway Yesterday wife calls and asks me to pick up some stuff from sweetbay for diner on my way home. I fit everything in my backpack but I can see having a rear rack could come in handy.

Also I know the rainy season is almost over but I do not like getting to work in the a.m. all muddy so I really want to add fenders. Now since I will add a rack to the back I see no need for a rear fender but what about the front?

I did a search on these topics but nothing really jumped up. So what fender and rear racks do you guys recomend?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:58:57 PM by Nullifier »

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Fenders and rear rack opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
I have a "the" front fender for spring DHing, and I love it.  It shoves into the fork's steerer tube from the bottom, and used a little allen to stay tight in there.  It takes 2 seconds to put it on and off and has a front and rear portion.  As far as the rack, I know nothing.

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
I have a Bontrager Back Rack I that I use on my commuter and it works great!  I have a basket that I can attach to it to go grocery shopping, and yoiu can get any number of other bags and what not to attatch.  The attachments are quit handy as they snap onto the rack and don't need any velcrow, but it has to be Interchange stuff by Bontrager.  As far as fenders go Are you using fat tires or did you put clicks on?  If you have slicks you could get the detachable fenders also made by Bontrager called Satelite(SP) they go on and off quickly with the flip of a lever cause when its not raining you do not need them on the bike.  And the front fender is mounted to the fork so when you turn the rooster tail from your front tire does not hit you in the face.  If you are running fatties I would probably recommend Topeak fenders the are pretty good don't have any but the seem to mount easily.  There is my $.02:>
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!

Offline Robobiker

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »
Racks that attach to seat posts are convenient.  If you think that you might attach panniers then you will need to get a rack that has vertical stays that you can attach the bags at the bottom to keep them from flopping around and getting cought in your wheels.  The other advantage of seat post attachment racks is that they are quick and simple to mount and remove.

I use a seat post mount rack on my road bike when I commute with it.  I made stays that attach to the bikes seat stays with nylon fittings and light aluminum angle.  My homemade stays work well with day panniers and with large clothing panniers too.

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey/Tampa
all those memories
 lost
   like tear drops in the rain

Advertisement: