Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Talon Race  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Wesley Chiu

• First Bike
Talon Race
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
For those of you who have done adventure races in the past, I have a question.

What do you guys wear for clothes? Do you wear bike shorts and switch to something else for the running/kayaking section? or do you wear bike shorts for the entire race? What about shirts? Will a cotton shirt work? Or should I find something that is quick drying? Same thing for shoes. My bike has clipless. Do you wear a different shoe for running vs kayaking section?

I'm training for the 10 hour Talon Race in April at Alafia.

Thanks,
Wesley

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Re: Talon Race
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »
For those of you who have done adventure races in the past, I have a question.

What do you guys wear for clothes? Do you wear bike shorts and switch to something else for the running/kayaking section? or do you wear bike shorts for the entire race? What about shirts? Will a cotton shirt work? Or should I find something that is quick drying? Same thing for shoes. My bike has clipless. Do you wear a different shoe for running vs kayaking section?

I'm training for the 10 hour Talon Race in April at Alafia.

Thanks,
Wesley
I usually wear my bike shorts (not bibs or spandex) for the whole day unless I get them real wet for some reason.  I wear long socks to help prevent scratches when trekking.  My race partner has shorts that allow him to zip on the legs for when we trek.  For shirts I usually use something that helps with the sweat.  A bike jersey would work fine also.  Many people also use cotton shirts it is all about whatever makes you comfortable.  I have 2 pairs of shoes.  My bike shoes that I use have a rubber sole so I can do short treks or hike a bikes without slipping.  When trekking or canoeing I use trail sneakers.  The most important thing with your shoes IMO is that they should drain quickly.  Your feet will get wet and the wrong shoes / socks will end your race early.

I would do a couple of the shorter races before the Talon.  That way you have some idea of what to expect.  There is no substitute for experience.  Do you plan on doing the Talon solo?
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline curt4ar

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:34:54 AM »
Hey Wesley,

I would have to agree with BeerCan, on all points. Also, maybe have an extra pair of socks. With the length of the Talon, maybe two. And as with everything, waterproof!! As for the protection against Saw Palmetto attacks, I mean scratches, unless you like having cut up, bleeding legs, wear something. I don't, but I'm a little nutty like that.
The shoe thing, BeerCan is sooo right. It can be a pain to have to carry that second pair (sometimes you wont need or even get to) but the last thing you want to do is have to trekk a few miles in a pair of bike shoes, right in the middle of a bike section, through sand, mud, water, mud, water, you get the point. During the LEACH AR last November at John Dickson State Park, I wore my trail shoes the entire time. There were NO technical bike trails, but a lot, and I mean a lot of water, mud, whack-o-bike (is that right?), and chest high water crossings, with the bike!
I will add, the biggest problem I had, and it might be an even bigger issue with a 10 hour race, is fuel and hydration! Poor fueling & hydration is hard to recover from during a race!
Best of luck. You will have a blast!
Curt

Offline Wesley Chiu

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »
I just purchased some Salomon XT WINGS as my non biking shoes.

http://www.salomonsports.com/us/#/footwear/footwear/trail-running/xt-wings

I'm not sure if they drain water well, can you tell? I can still return them, they are brand new. I talked to this guy who worked at Adventure Outfitters who is familiar with the guy who designs the Talon race. He says that he is notorious for making you go into the water on the foot sections. And he did recommend shoes that drain water well.

I plan on doing the Squiggy Classic in March as part of my training for the Talon in April. Yes, I plan on running the Talon solo.

Advertisement: